Low impact, high intensity?

Options
Clew
Clew Posts: 910 Member
Hi everyone! I'm a long time workouter (is that a word?) - I've always dug the high impact, high intensity stuff - Jazzercise initially, then kickboxing, Tae Bo and Turbojam. After 15 years or so my knees started hurting from it all, and they really act up anymore when I do anything high impact with the legs (jumping, etc.). I need some beneficial exercise though - BADLY. Many of my friends have had great success with P90X but I know that'd just kill my knees! :frown:

Looking for some new fun knee-friendly exercise ideas if anyone has any. I started bellydancing a few years ago - have stuck with it off and on but it's a super great core workout. I absolutely LOVE it. Also have a few other core-focused DVDs. I love riding my bike but my young grade schooler usually wants to accompany me and that is a slow-down as you can imagine. I never really get into a good groove with that.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    kettlenetics. I have arthritis and I can do these.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hm, not familiar with kettlenetics. I'll look into it - thanks, lady!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I found to be hard on the knees in P90X was the Plyometrics workout, but even that can be modified to be somewhat lower impact. Or, I think if you do the "lean" version of the P90X sequencing, plyo isn't even included (as I recall).

Have you seen a physical therapist about your knee issues? I have had loads of knee problems (and eventually surgery) and most of my problems were actually caused by muscle weakness/imbalance (as they pretty much all are) and my PT and surgeon always recommended building up to MORE high impact types of moves like jumping and lateral moves since those are exactly the types of movements where my knees were the most prone to injury. They wanted me to build up my tendons, ligaments and muscles that supported my joints to avoid further problems. I had previously avoided those types of exercise since I knew I had knee problems but, as my surgeon reminded me "use it or lose it". In avoiding the higher impact stuff, I had actually been doing myself a disservice. Since adding more plyometrics, my knees have never felt better or stronger.

I'm not necessarily saying this is the right course of action for you, but I'm just giving my own experience in actual doctor&PT-prescribed high-impact exercise for knee problems. Might be worthwhile seeing a physical therapist if you haven't already. They would be able to best recommend a exercises specifically targeted to help with the specific problem that you are having.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I like my elliptical. You never pick your feet up, so you never put them down. Zero Impact.

Bicycling too,

My $.o2
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I do the Leslie Sansone DVDs. I get a great workout from it and it really builds endurance. They are 10 bucks at walmart.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree with Casper about the elliptical. Also I enjoy the embumbant stationary bike.