Running Won't Help You Lose Weight?

Options

Replies

• SilverWolf0206
    Options
    running actually ramps up your metabolism. That super charged metabolism is what burns the fat and makes you look awesome. Doesn't matter if you run or Zumba your way to it, just ramp that metabolism.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Running won't help you lose weight if you are eating TOO MANY calories!

Running has benefits above and beyond weight loss. I use it as stress relief and for cardiovascular fitness myself. During the training for my first marathon years ago I was surprised that I GAINED weight over the course of my training. That's because I wasn't watching my calories at the time and I was eating above and beyond what I needed to train and maintain.

Since I've tracked my calories, I have had no problem both losing and maintaining while running. I recommend strength training in addition to running to help maintain lean muscle mass, though, especially when you're training in a deficit. :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Runners are going to defend to the death that running is going to help you lose weight.

Running will make you better at running.
    Running will make you more fit.

Running will do little to help you lose weight.

Also, running will not really make you more aesthetically looking. Marathon runners look pretty weak and anorexic for the most part.

LOL!

I call Troll on this one! :laugh:
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Running is amazing...period. It helps shape your body, makes you feel awesome and aides in weight loss. Of course eating at a deficit makes you lose weight but combined with running yields great results. Plus, it is a must if you intend on surviving a zombie apocalypse. :glasses:

tumblr_m61i8sgilV1qf1avqo1_500.jpg
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think it does both :)
    Running won't help you lose weight. Running helps make you awesome!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It is the main factor of getting into "physical shape" but its not the main factor in losing weight. U can't get in shape if you don't exercise. And I can eat 100% clean and not be able to run or deadlift.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    get skinny in the kitchen
    get big at the gym ;)
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Running will make you lose all kinds of weight :) from muscle of course
    Walking will make you lose all kinds of weight too!!!! all from fat :D

None of this is worth doing without a proper "diet" whatever that is, for me I just eat clean :)
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Running won't help you lose weight. Running helps make you awesome!

yeah baybay!
  • NightmareValo
    NightmareValo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I completly agree lol. Reading through these comments thats what I was thinking the whole time. I mean even if running isnt THE best exercise to help lose weight, it still burns cals, and works muscles in your legs in turn helping to burn even a little more fat. How is that not helping to lose weight you know? lol silly article
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Once you reach a point in distance running, no, running won't help you lose weight. I had great success in my weight loss when I was averaging 3-6 miles several days a week. Once I started training for my first half marathon though, my weight loss slowed and I gain a few pounds. I do maintain that weight really easily now (130lbs), and I went from eating 1300 calories to a normal amount, so that's not entirely a bad thing. I was averaging 60 miles a month though, and especially after running 8+ miles, you have to eat so much food, weight loss falls by the wayside. it's less about weight loss and more about fueling for you run.

I don't think that's a bad thing though. I'm way more proud of myself at 130lbs than I was 124lbs, because I am physically capable of so much now.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could possibly argue that burning calories, in any manner, would not help you lose weight.

This
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Not reading this article shenanigans. Cardio modifies TDEE --> caloric deficit... if you eat more than your TDEE you won't lose weight. It's not the cardio's fault.
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Options
    Any change from sedentary to active will help you lose weight.
  • NightmareValo
    NightmareValo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Running is amazing...period. It helps shape your body, makes you feel awesome and aides in weight loss. Of course eating at a deficit makes you lose weight but combined with running yields great results. Plus, it is a must if you intend on surviving a zombie apocalypse. :glasses:

Number 1 Rule of Zombie Survival? CARDIO!
    :smile:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Number 1 Rule of Zombie Survival? CARDIO!
    :smile:
    Never understood the whole Zombie thing. One Nuke would end it all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the running put you in a caloric deficit...therefore causing you to lose weight?
    Running burns calories, but if you consume enough to offset them then there is no calorie deficit.
    That said, I think running is something everyone should be able to do on average because you NEVER know when you'll need to do it.:wink: (IE running from danger, jilted lover, zombies).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Reading this article today -- can't say I'm terribly surprised, but it is a bit of a downer to think of physical exercise as good for your health, but not necessarily the main factor in getting into better shape.

http://beta.active.com/a3_articles/c9d1380f-ce51-4621-bdf2-cc337ca05b1f?page=1

Anyone have a different experience? The same?

When I was running a half hour to 45 minutes every day about 7 or 8 years ago I did lose weight. Running burns so many calories so quickly. I think it is great for weight loss and losing weight around your middle if you are a woman.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What about just overall cardiovascular health from cardio? It may help me lose weight, sure, but I am happy enough the cardio is helping my overall health/heart.
  • somersault2
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories burned, is how you lose or gain weight. Exercise burns calories ..... of course exercise and running help to lose weight, not too mention all the other benefits... cardio health, strength, stress relief, endorphins... still if we eat too much, more calories in than we burn all day ....:smile: