Jawbone up or fitbit flex.

Options
I really want a wristband that tracks my exercise and daily movements but really don't know which one to go for.

What do other people have and what are your views.

I can't afford to spend money on something that will end up in a drawer somewhere cos it doesn't do what it says on the box. x

Replies

• MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am debating this as well... All the reviews I have read online have said the flex is better. But it's still a tough decision. Unfortunately I don't live in the states, so the flex is 6-8 weeks shipping on top of the 6-8 weeks on back order so i might go with the up because it is available...
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am debating this as well... All the reviews I have read online have said the flex is better. But it's still a tough decision. Unfortunately I don't live in the states, so the flex is 6-8 weeks shipping on top of the 6-8 weeks on back order so i might go with the up because it is available...

I live in the uk, I didn't realise that it was another 6/8 weeks on top of the release date. I can't wait that long. .
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have got a nike fuelband. It counts your steps, estimates calories based on settings, and adds up nike fuel, oops can't forget that it also doubles as a watch. I am willing to sell it for $100 lol. I would rather try the new flex. Using the fitbit website for my scale and the nike+ website for my fuelband, the fitbit site definately wins in the PC, IT category. Nike does not offer very much data for what you pay!!!

I can also vouch for fitbit's connectivity. Using their scale, it sinks my weight wirelessly between their site and MFP. Also with the delay for the launch of the flex, I am guessing they have worked out a lot of the bugs.
  • sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    Options
    I recently purchased the Polar Ft7 and it works for me, regardless of what you purchase just be certain it has the functions you need. This is my 3rd day with the polar and I am so glad I have a HRM. MFP calories burned were over stated by over 160 calories and for someone who @ 1200 calories a day, it is major! Along with a food scale, a HRM is a great tool to loosing weight. Good Luck with your choice :)
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 as well and I agree it was well worth the money. But I wanted something to track everything 24/7 not just when I run or workout..
  • twinsmom7602
    twinsmom7602 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My friend just bought the Flex after having the FITBIT one. She isn't very satisfied with the Flex, and may go back to using the One. :)
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your comments, I've just ordered myself a jawbone up, can't wait for it to arrive.

I decided not to go with the flex, 2 reasons, I couldn't wait and I had heard a few bad remarks about it. Most items have a few teething problems to begin with. xx
  • Melanie123100
    Options
    I went to Best Buy with the intent of purchasing the Flex and ended up with 2 Ups for me and my husband. The Flex was out of stock and I really like the look and feel of the Up. For some reason I don't care for the assymetrical look of the Flex. I have an iPhone and my husband has Android, the Up syncs with MyFitnessPal and Runkeeper with iPhone but not Android. The Up comes in 3 sizes that fit to your wrist which I like. I also didn't care for the watchband style of the Flex. BUT I would much rather have the Bluetooth syncing of the Flex then having to remove the Up to sync, but it's not a big deal. Neither come with any instructions so the best reference I found was YouTube.

The battery life on the Up is MUCH greater than on the Flex. So although you don't have to remove the Flex to sync, you do have to remove it to charge more often. The Up lasts about 10 days on a charge. Just the price you pay for Bluetooth capability.

I figured out that the device calculates your BMR/calorie burn for 3 modes, sleep, active and workout. You manually switch the Up band between the 3 throughout your day (easy enough). So even if you leave your device on your nightstand, or forget to change from sleep to active, your total burn is going to calculate calories for the mode it was in, but you won't get credit for extra calories you burned.

So when I first put my Up on at 3 in the afternoon, it calculated resting calories from midnight to 3 p.m.

The steps are accurate regardless of the mode you're in. I attempted to put it in workout mode but instead put it in sleep mode (didn't click and hold fast enough) so my steps were accurate but my calories were too low. Makes sense once you understand the logic.

The Up only works on your phone app, not on a website. Not sure about the Flex.

I think it's a personal preference between the two. I'm sure within 6 months they'll both be outdated and there will be something more accurate, more stylish and more convenient on the market.

Good luck!
  • urbansocialight
    Options
    Thank you Melanie for such an articulate and succinct review. I just (literally less than 15 minutes ago) purchased the Up online and had instant buyers remorse because I'd completely forgot about the Flex until I submitted my order. Then I remembered how much my boss loves her Fitbit One and highly recommended the brand. Now, I'm confident in my purchase and I'll give it a whirl. And you are so right, the next big thing is likely around the corner and plus, it comes with a 60 money back guarantee!
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My friend tried to get the flex at Best buy and they said its discontinued. Not sure how true this is, but on amazon it claims their out of stock.
  • pkingfox
    pkingfox Posts: 25
    Options
    Flex is brand new....just released first of May.....I have the Flex and I love it however there are draw backs I am learning about. The calorie burn stat is not accurate - I don't know how far NOT accurate and I have been told that the only accurate calorie burn calculation is with HRMs. I love that it tracks 24/7 something HRMs do not do. Does anyone know of ONE device which will track HR, distances, calories burned and steps??? I feel that now I need to go purchase a HRM just to get the accurate data I need and even then the HRM will only calculate when I am exercising.....it's a very confusing racquet they have going. I do love my flex but find that I get different calorie counts btw Runkeeper (I use for walking) and Flex.
    I didn't mean to cause any more confusion - it's just I don't want to walk around with more devices on me than necessary! :ohwell:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The Bodymedia Fit is more accurate than both of them. Have a look at that.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Where are you getting this data? All the reviews I've read so far have given the upperhand to the fitbit one.
  • thathorn
    thathorn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://forums.jawbone.com/t5/SUGGESTIONS/Integrate-with-MyFitnessPal-Please/td-p/4808

http://forums.jawbone.com/t5/SUGGESTIONS/Integrate-with-MyFitnessPal-Please/td-p/4808

Melanie, how did you sync your jawbone up? I've been searching for a way for months....as have hundreds of other people (see link below). I'm going to get the flex. It looks more comfortable than my UP and I like that I can switch bands.
  • jaz050465
    Options

Where are you getting this data? All the reviews I've read so far have given the upperhand to the fitbit one.
    Fit it one most accurate for steps but BMF for calories.
  • trishtn
    trishtn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I have the fitbit flex. The reason i got it was because my fitbit ultra was marking my breast, because i wore it on my bra. I did it because i had placed it on my waist band once, and lost it during one of my walks (had to back track and i found it). I love the flex, what i dont like is that the power does not last long.
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yeah forgot to tell you too, the jawbone last 10 days. Its awesome not to worry. It will notify you when to charge it also. My jawbone was syncing well to MFP and for some reason it stopped....Not sure what the issue it there.
  • Bella1204
    Bella1204 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the body media body bug but it really isn't very concealable and you aren't supposed to wear it to sleep or in the shower. I've been going back and forth which to get next, the jawbone or fitbit - alot of reviews seem to be pretty comparable, the only major difference is the wireless sinking available with the fitbit. I'll be using my iphone primarily and happy that the UP syncs with my fitness pal. i think I'll be ordering UP :)
  • murali2227
    murali2227 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am an unhappy user of UP. Got one about 6 months ago and it completely failed a couple of months later. Simply died. They sent me a replacement which I was happy to use before it died too!! So, the UP band is excellent when it works! I now plan on trying out the Flex.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I have the body media body bug but it really isn't very concealable and you aren't supposed to wear it to sleep or in the shower. I've been going back and forth which to get next, the jawbone or fitbit - alot of reviews seem to be pretty comparable, the only major difference is the wireless sinking available with the fitbit. I'll be using my iphone primarily and happy that the UP syncs with my fitness pal. i think I'll be ordering UP :)
    You ARE SUPPOSED to wear it when you sleep. It has a sleep tracker.