Abs & Airbrushing

Options
I have often seen in the forums people posting topics comparing the ab definition of Victoria's Secret models and athletes, asking why the lingerie models have less visible abs than the athletes, even though they are both slender and fit. I read this article about Victoria's Secret and air brushing. I don't think the airbrushing is very dramatic, but that is not the point of me posting this.

My point is that I noticed that they are actually airbrushing the models in order to reduce the visibility of ab definition. So, I think this partly answers a lot of those questions that people have had.

It also opens up a discussion topic about this issue of airbrushing the models to reduce the visibility of their actual fitness level. I'm sure people will have thoughts on this. I know a lot of people have posted topics about air brushing, but this was surprising to me, that they would airbrush to reduce ab definition.

http://jezebel.com/5951863/when-perfect-isnt-enough-the-unretouched-images-victorias-secret-doesnt-want-you-to-see/

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Real abs.

crossfit_abs.jpg

Personally, I don't care what they do to make them look however they want. I might look and think it is beautiful, but it doesn't distort my sense of reality.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of all the fuss over Karlie Kloss' Steven Meisel shoot. She is incredibly long, lean and athletic, with some muscular definition, and supermodel thin. The magazine chose to photoshop out her ribs, which is bull**** because it's presenting another unattainable body type; most people can't get down to that low a BF% (by either healthy or unhealthy means, I don't really wish to speculate in her case) WITHOUT having their ribs and sternum clearly on display.

The picture, censored but still NSFWish: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mazcpfHMRG1qboqbv.jpg
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hmm... They might be airbrushing the models, but then, just put an extra 5% body fat over those abs, and you lose some definition. That might be it. Personally, I have the hardest time losing fat right there over my abs. I keep having kids (3 so far), and even though I get pretty close to where I need to be weight wise, I can't seem to get rid of that last little bit right over the abs. But personally, I don't care. I mean, if I have the strength, I don't really care if there's a bit of fat hiding it. I don't wear bikinis in any case. Feels like wearing underwear in public. But that's a totally different topic, isn't it? ;)
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I know VS uses loads of photoshop in their pictures, and it's interesting to see what they choose to alter! It's funny how they choose to add BF% by 'shopping away the abs and take it away by removing skin folds, creating a "impossibly smooth layer of fat" look...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of all the fuss over Karlie Kloss' Steven Meisel shoot. She is incredibly long, lean and athletic, with some muscular definition, and supermodel thin. The magazine chose to photoshop out her ribs, which is bull**** because it's presenting another unattainable body type; most people can't get down to that low a BF% (by either healthy or unhealthy means, I don't really wish to speculate in her case) WITHOUT having their ribs and sternum clearly on display.

The picture, censored but still NSFWish: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mazcpfHMRG1qboqbv.jpg

Wow! I didn't realize that they photo shopped out ribs for the women to be just as small, but not look as skinny. It's good for people to understand that. Thanks for explaining the context of the photo also.
    Thank you for this! I know VS uses loads of photoshop in their pictures, and it's interesting to see what they choose to alter! It's funny how they choose to add BF% by 'shopping away the abs and take it away by removing skin folds, creating a "impossibly smooth layer of fat" look...

Yeah, that's a good point. They selectively add and remove fat to create an impossible image (in terms of the natural changes in the body from body positioning).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Wow! I didn't realize that they photo shopped out ribs for the women to be just as small, but not look as skinny. It's good for people to understand that. Thanks for explaining the context of the photo also.

Yeah, that's a good point. They selectively add and remove fat to create an impossible image (in terms of the natural changes in the body from body positioning).

I agree with all the above.

I don't really have much against airbrushing out small details, like getting rid of a zit or smoothing out laughter lines a little... make up does that kind of thing anyway... but when it gets to the point that they're erasing ribs, muscle definition and the like, it is presenting an ideal that's impossible to attain. I've also seen on celebrity photoshops, changes that are essentially changing a medium to large framed woman to a small framed woman, i.e. airbrushing out where her rib cage is, so it looks like her entire frame is smaller. I think this kind of thing is worrying because there will be a lot of women (especially very young women) who try to diet to achieve those looks... but they're unachievable, so what kind of damage are they going to do to their bodies and minds in the attempt?

I think teaching kids about these kinds of tricks and what photoshop can do, and demonstrating that the look you get is unachievable, that would help a lot of kids put these pictures in perspective and not end up on a self destructive path trying to emulate them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    What amazes me most is how crappy the original photos are, in terms of lighting, contrast and balance.

I see folks on here take better selfies with their phone in the bathroom mirror than professional photographers with professional equipment take of professional supermodels. :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts and input to the conversation.