Sugar free maple syrup

Options
Hey guys! This is my first post on the forums, and I'm very curious about sugar-free syrups. I recently lost over 25 pounds and I'm ready to maintain my weight, so I'm going to have a cheat meal here and there. I eat very clean and never eat sugar substitutes, so therefore, I would think that the medical risks of these products would be negligible for one or two meals.

My question is, do these sugar free maple syrups have any weight-gain-related side effects that I should be knowledgeable of? At 20 calories per 1/4 of a cup, I feel like there has to be a catch that I'm missing.

Thank you for your help! i'm hoping to be able to dig into some waffles here in the next month or so ;)

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    FAKE SUGAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you're having a "cheat" meal, why not go for the real thing??

Sugar free maple syrup is terrible, IMO.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Buy real maple syrup. The expensive kind. It's good for you.

Fake sugar makes me fart. :embarassed:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My question is, do these sugar free maple syrups have any weight-gain-related side effects that I should be knowledgeable of? At 20 calories per 1/4 of a cup, I feel like there has to be a catch that I'm missing.

"weight-gain-related side effects"? You mean calories right? That's all you need to see here. How many calories does it have? They have some sort of artificial sweetener in it.

Thank you for your help! i'm hoping to be able to dig into some waffles here in the next month or so ;)
    I just put honey on my waffles. You'll use much less than syrup and it tastes better IMO.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i don't have any sources to cite, but i have read that artificial sweeteners can cause people to crave real sugar and give in, and that also it can slow weight loss. i'm not a scientist so i really don't know.
    there is also mixed information on if those artificial sweeteners are good or bad for you.
    if you eat clean pretty often, don't really use that kind of stuff and want some waffles every now and then, then i wouldn't worry about it honestly. if you're looking to eat clean and healthy all the time, then i would stay away from them.

maybe try making your own? i found a recipe which uses artificial sweetener, but you could replace that with something like stevia instead.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5373643_make-low-sugar-pancake-syrup.html
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

"weight-gain-related side effects"? You mean calories right? That's all you need to see here. How many calories does it have? They have some sort of artificial sweetener in it.

I just put honey on my waffles. You'll use much less than syrup and it tastes better IMO.

i was gonna edit mine but saw this. agree on the honey. i use it in my oatmeal and if i make waffles or pancakes i use it as well. it tastes so good!
    but honestly if you are maintaining your weight and having a treat meal, as long as it fits in the macros i would try to have real pure maple syrup instead. nom nom.
    if not then the log cabin light syrup doesn't taste TOO much like crap
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    you have to decide for yourself on this topic. many will argue that fake sugar is horrible and blah blah. in 4 months ive lost a lot of weight and have had lots of fake sugar and have had no problems. i drink diet pop on a daily basis. i had sweeter to my tea and cereals. i have had sugar free syrup many times. i like it. im watching my calories and also diabetic. so a bonus.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone! Based on what all of you are saying, it seems as occasional artificial sweeteners won't have any noticeable side effects. And to answer one of the questions above, i was going to opt for low-calorie syrup so i could eat a larger quantity. Just a personal preference :) I appreciate all the thoughts!
  • Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone! Based on what all of you are saying, it seems as occasional artificial sweeteners won't have any noticeable side effects. And to answer one of the questions above, i was going to opt for low-calorie syrup so i could eat a larger quantity. Just a personal preference :) I appreciate all the thoughts!

Artificial sweeteners burst into flames when lit up. You really want to eat something that is highly flammable?