NROL4W or Something Else? Recommendations Needed

Options
I've been doing strength training for awhile now. (8-9ish months). I've been increasing my weights but I still at times feel clueless of what to do when I'm at the gym. (I do work with a trainer once a week and usually repeat workouts we've done together and playing with the amount of weight) I've been happy with the progress I've made so far but I'm bored. I'm where I'd like to be weight wise but there are still ares of my body that i'm not happy with (stomach area mostly)

I've read NROL4W and I'm not sold on that program. I've read all the posts about how people love it and I see that it gets recommended a lot (which is why I read it). Anyone not like it? Any other suggestions to change up my routine?

Replies

• healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I recently started the NROL4W and I love it!!! If you've been lifting and strength training for a while I'm pretty sure you'll like it. It is pretty easy to follow.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    im currently doing NROLFW, I am in stage 3 and I have grown out of it . But its a great book for someone who is a beginner.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I liked Stage 1 but looking ahead, it got really fussy really fast. Plus the gym I had access to didn't have all of the required equipment.

One of my other MFP friends was doing it and had to carry the book around with her. SO she switched off of it

I like the simplicity of SL so I switched to that
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I liked Stage 1 but looking ahead, it got really fussy really fast. Plus the gym I had access to didn't have all of the required equipment.

One of my other MFP friends was doing it and had to carry the book around with her. SO she switched off of it

I like the simplicity of SL so I switched to that

What's SL?
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    If you're new to strength training, I highly recommend checking out Starting Strength. It goes into great detail about proper form, and helps you develop a strength training routine made of a lot of compound movements. (Exercises that work a few muscle groups at once.) The ebook only costs about 10 bucks at amazon. It's definitely worth the investment!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    SL = stronglifts

There's a group on MFP for it

stronglifts.com

SO much simpler than NROLFW
  • carrietehbear
    Options
    Thanks!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    SL = stronglifts

There's a group on MFP for it

stronglifts.com

SO much simpler than NROLFW

Yeah, I'm a fan of Stronglifts.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I stopped this because it started getting too complicated. I like to get in and get out when it comes to my workouts and I found myself putzing in the gym because it just wasnt straight forward anymore. I really 2nd (or 3rd??) Strong Lifts. I am going back to that.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am on my 4th week od NROL4W and love it so far and I like the looks if the next stages also. To me it is a straight plan once you get the basics down and I definitely feel like I have accomplished something when i leave the gym.
  • carrietehbear
    Options
    Thanks... I'll def. check out Strong Lifts.