I need someone to tell me it will all work out.

Options
djc315
djc315 Posts: 585 Member
This is kind of a "PLOM" thread (poor little old me). I realize it isn't the end of the world but I am really upset right now.

I've been doing the C25k program. I just finished week 5. I did a 20 minute run yesterday, non stop, for the first time in probably 10 years. I maintained a 12 and a half minute mile. I was feeling so accomplished and proud of myself.

After my run I stopped at the store to pick up a dinning room table. I get home, start carrying* it into my apartment and step on a rock and twisted my ankle. 3rd degree sprain.

I can't even tell you how upset I am. And I would probably feel better about it if I was hurt while running. But instead, it happened when I was just moving ****.

Now I've been sitting on my couch literally all day with my leg up and iced and feeling sorry for myself. I can't walk. This morning I crawled to and from the bathroom before I got my crutches.

I'm so mad I am going to lose all that I've built up. I know completely I can't (and I won't) do things too soon. I dislocated my knee when I was in high school and that blew my basketball career. I know this isn't as serious as that injury, but I am so scared. I am scared it's going to start a spiral. That I am going to get out of my routine. I've lost 45 pounds and need to lose another 45. I'm so worried I'm going to stop exercise (because I have to now) and then start to eat like crap because I don't FEEL good.

Sigh.

Someone tell me things will work out. Please.

Oh and the kicker? I hate the table now that it's in my dinning room. Stupid table.

*I was not carrying it alone, a friend was helping me.

Replies

• vidasana87
    vidasana87 Posts: 75
    Options
    awww, injuries SUCK. They really do. You don't realize how much you take your own regular mobility for granted once it's gone (temporarily).

Don't set yourself up for failure ;) Everything WILL work out.... of course, that being completely up to you- both in action, and your mentality as you heal .

Remember, if you are going to be down and out, this is time for you to focus on clean eating. It really is true, if you ask me, that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. "Abs are made in the kitchen" has some truth to it! So- what I'm saying is, don't worry if you can't workout right now. Your body needs to heal. Take this time to relax and give your body a rest- which is good every now and then anyway. Taking time off from your workout regime definitely WILL NOT hurt you. Your body will not change- if you watch what you eat.

If you feel like you are an emotional eater and you don't "trust yourself" in terms of what you eat during this time, I suggest you buy Marianne Williamsons book "A Course in Weight Loss".

I was an emotional eater and binge eater, and this book has changed my relationship with food. It's my little "go to" bible when I feel like I might spiral out of control.

Enjoy your down time, put your swollen little foot up, relax, watch some good TV, drink yummy teas, read THAT BOOK, and eat cleaner than you ever have before! Make yourself proud!!
  • jmv2012
    jmv2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, everything will work out. You have worked too hard and have come so far. Keep thoughts of a spiral out of your head. This is just the knee jerk reaction to something bad happening. I admire you for running. I can't run - knee injuries and arthritis. I would like to get there some day. I am a walker. Many years ago I walked 3 marathons. I hope to build back up to that again.
    /jmv/
  • CvJ626
    CvJ626 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Things will work themselves out. This is a temporary obstacle in your journey. Keep positive and stay motivated ;-)

"There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." - Ralph Marston
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know it is terribly frustrating, but if it helps I lost my first 35#'s while in a boot. It can be done. Don't let this be your undoing, make it a challenge. It is true though that you have to eat cleaner.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    awww, injuries SUCK. They really do. You don't realize how much you take your own regular mobility for granted once it's gone (temporarily).

Don't set yourself up for failure ;) Everything WILL work out.... of course, that being completely up to you- both in action, and your mentality as you heal .

Remember, if you are going to be down and out, this is time for you to focus on clean eating. It really is true, if you ask me, that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. "Abs are made in the kitchen" has some truth to it! So- what I'm saying is, don't worry if you can't workout right now. Your body needs to heal. Take this time to relax and give your body a rest- which is good every now and then anyway. Taking time off from your workout regime definitely WILL NOT hurt you. Your body will not change- if you watch what you eat.

If you feel like you are an emotional eater and you don't "trust yourself" in terms of what you eat during this time, I suggest you buy Marianne Williamsons book "A Course in Weight Loss".

I was an emotional eater and binge eater, and this book has changed my relationship with food. It's my little "go to" bible when I feel like I might spiral out of control.

Enjoy your down time, put your swollen little foot up, relax, watch some good TV, drink yummy teas, read THAT BOOK, and eat cleaner than you ever have before! Make yourself proud!!

^ This.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    2 falls ago i started working out and about 2 weeks in I had a nightmare i was late for class and in a half asleep state got up got dressed and promptly fell down the stares and sprained my ankle. Worst part was no one heard me screaming for help for about 15 mins. Last summer i started Insanity. I was like yay me gonna kick *kitten*! I got limes disease a few days in, got meds, had an allergic reaction to meds to the tune of symptoms of a heart attack. Lost my drive for Insanity, that and it killed my knees.

So now I am trying to lift barbells. Hopefully third time will be the charm and nothing bad will happen....especially with barbells. Keep going you'll be fine =)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It will all work out.

The good thing about C25k is it's a program that can be picked up and put down any time you need. You will recover. You will be able to run again. And you may be set back a few weeks, but you will get yourself back to where you were.

And you will be (and still are) awesome.

=)
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You don't have to lose everything you've worked so hard for! It's just a set back. And that's life -- it's full of twists and turns. We never know where we're going to end up tomorrow. Just try to stay positive. I know you can't walk, but you don't have to give up exercise completely -- try some seated moves. Air punches will get your heart rate up. Maybe get some resistance bands or weights and work out your arms. Anything you can do to keep you on the right track until you're up and moving again!
  • prozac5489
    prozac5489 Posts: 33
    Options
    Of course it will all work out! And of course you can lose weight even if you can't exercise in the same ways you used to. There are plenty of exercises you can do that don't rely on having a functioning leg, and you can always modify your calorie intake to reflect reduced activity. I lost my first 10 pounds or so doing no exercise at all for a week or so (and being extra sedentary), just to see if diet-only really could work (and it worked scary well for me).

You'll be just fine.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,906 Member
    Options
    " I just finished week 5. I did a 20 minute run yesterday, non stop, for the first time in probably 10 years. I maintained a 12 and a half minute mile. I was feeling so accomplished and proud of myself."

All that is still true! If you hadn't done C25K and sprained your ankle, you'd be an out-of-shape couch potato with a sprained ankle. Instead, you are a fit runner with a sprained ankle! Check out chair workouts. Eat well.

IT WILL ALL WORK OUT!!!
  • Romey5
    Romey5 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I had started the 30 day shred 2 weeks ago, then promptly busted my knee up slipping in a puddle of water. I shifted all that shred motivation to abdominals and upper body weighs. Now I can do very low impact cardio because every day my busted knee is feeling better so I add more little by little.

You will not lose everything you have built up to! Yes it will truly all work out! Refocus and find another workout you can do in the mean time. Personally I am looking forward to losing my baby belly - something I would not have worked on so hard if I had not slipped up.

Good luck!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. So much. Every comment helped, and I appreciate you taking the time to lift me up.

I will come back and read each and every one of your comments any time I am feeling sorry for myself.

" I just finished week 5. I did a 20 minute run yesterday, non stop, for the first time in probably 10 years. I maintained a 12 and a half minute mile. I was feeling so accomplished and proud of myself."

All that is still true! If you hadn't done C25K and sprained your ankle, you'd be an out-of-shape couch potato with a sprained ankle. Instead, you are a fit runner with a sprained ankle! Check out chair workouts. Eat well.

IT WILL ALL WORK OUT!!!

This in particular made me smile. You are so right.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My favorite bit of wisdom seems to fit: "Everything will be alright in the end. If things are not alright, it is not the end.".

This too will pass.

Good luck and good health.
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ... I have nothing really major to contribute to this thread that hasn't already been said. I am concerned for you. I want you to do well, be healthy, and get better.
    I also want to speculate on a trend I've noticed. I lost 50lbs and developed a hernia when I wanted to start lifting, and the hernia has affected my running (as the bouncing aggravates the injury). Instead of preparing for my 10k run in 2weeks, I can barely run the minutes.

My friend lost around 40-50lbs, and injured her knee. My mom tore her Achilles after around 40lbs. There's something about the half way mark for people that is just... Treacherous! It always forces us to slow down and maintain - so eat your veggies, have lots of protein to keep your levels up, and keep us posted.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You'll be OKAY!!

Take the time you need to recover. Mean while, eat right and even try some alternative exercises, like working the arms with weights, etc.

((HUGS)), don't let this get you down.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. YOU ARE IN MY THOUGHT S AND PRAYERS. ADD ME AS A FRIEND. I WILL MOTIVATE AND SUPPORT YOU EVERYDAY I PROMISE. WE'LL TALK ABOUT IT AS MUCH AS YOU NEED TO. BE PATIENT AND LET YOUR INJURY HEAL UP.

Every time I want to run to food I run to MFP online. I love to see before and after pics and read hundreds of success stories here on line. You have came so far to let the injury change your mindset into negative thinking.

You will get through this. There are lots of people on here to support you. 45 pounds is a huge accomplishment that I know you are very proud of-be patient and this last 45 pounds will come off as well.

you can do this- i am here for you

journal, read books, paint,word search, meditate,READ BIBLE,TALK TO A FRIEND, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

WE BOTH KNOW THROUGH OUR TRIALS THERE IS A TESTIMONY IN THE END. I AM POSITIVE WE WILL HAVE A GOOD REPORT .. WE HAVE LOSING WEIGHT AS A COMMON INTEREST AND ID LOVE TO K.I.T
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It's a setback but you'll get back into it. I twisted my ankle doing C25K at night 3 years ago (tripped over a tree root), sprained my ankle a month ago (too much walking), and strained my neck last week (did shopping on my way home after a lot of walking, shopping bags were too heavy, but the 4 lb of chocolate into my backpack that'd I'd gradually got to 19 lb, too much extra weight too quickly), and I slipped off a curb on my way home today... not sure if my left ankle is OK or not.

Focus on diet - up your calcium and vitamin C so they are both balanced and more than 100% of your RDA, and balance those with your B vitamins, get enough protein too). If you have weights, there are some upper body exercises you could focus on for the time being (i.e. those that can be done either sitting down or lying down).

Also, you won't lose your progress. You might need to go back a few weeks so you don't do too much too quickly, but it isn't like you are taking a decade break and are going to lose the improvements you've made to your cardiovascular system, muscles, and bones.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Honey, This is the way life is. You have to learn to roll with the punches, as they will happen from time to time. Take a deep breath. Allow your body to heal. You will be very surprised how quickly you recover when you are not starting out from ground zero. It sounds like you are highly motivated to keep going strong, so find out what you can do. Maybe this is an opportunity to build up your upper body. Find someone to throw weighted balls with. I keep 2, 5, 7.5, 8 and 10 pound balls in the trunk of my car and will play catch with anybody willing. Stay strong.....I am sorry you got hurt. This is just a bump in the road.