Does anyone else exercise so that they can eat more?

I'm just wondering...I hate days when I do not work out because I feel like I do not have enough to eat. I am set to eat 1200 calorie per day. When I don't exercise, I find it very hard to stay within that calorie range and if I do, then I have cravings and am hungry at the end of the night and end up drinking like 4 bottles of water to fill up. When I do work out, I have about an extra 600 - 800 calories to eat and feel so much better. I usually don't even end up eating all my exercise calories cause exercising seems to make me not as hungry (not sure why).

Anyone else feel the same?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    HA HA...what an appropriate question.....I was still hungry this evening...but i was pretty much done with my calories...So i dusted off the ol bike, and burned 492 calories...now i wondering what I'm going to eat!!!:wink:
  • 02oakleyb29
    02oakleyb29 Posts: 12 Member
    HA HA...what an appropriate question.....I was still hungry this evening...but i was pretty much done with my calories...So i dusted off the ol bike, and burned 492 calories...now i wondering what I'm going to eat!!!:wink:

So I am not the only one lol.

I also make sure that I exercise if I plan on eating out and/or having a few drinks. I just think that is being responsible :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    ya i do..............
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Yep! Now that I'm on break with lots of time--my job is waiting for my immigration stuff to come through, so until then I'm forced to be on vacation ;)--I've added a couple days of cardio to my workout plan. It's really just so I can up my daily calories.

Why don't you spread out your calories more over the week? I eat the same amount every day regardless if I work out or not. Work out days are more brutal as a result, but this way there's never a really low calorie amount where I'm dying.
  • iowaoly
    iowaoly Posts: 35 Member
    Yes, and I am just beginning. I'm still hungry so if I want more food I have to exercise.
  • SarahBean89
    SarahBean89 Posts: 16
    I do the same thing as well. If I know I will be having a girls night that might involve a martini or two, I do extra exercise the day of, and the day after.

And I have been seriously craving ice cream all day, and am considering doing an extra 20 minute walk just so I can have it! :blushing:
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    YEP!
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    That's why I switched to the TDEE-% method. I was working out 5-6 days a week training for a half marathon and it was strange to have 1-2 days that I ate less. I now work out 5 days a week and it's so much easier to have a consistent goal. I also work out at night, so what if I planned on 6 miles but only ran 4? Then I'm about 200 calories short!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    I went on a walk one night just so I could have :"extra" mayo in my pasta salad.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Yes because even with my custom goals set above the 1200 (1320) mark, I am very short so as I lose weight I get close to 1200 and it's not enough. I don't get a chance to exercise every day so I set myself to sedentary and log it when I do. It ends up being close to 4-5 days a week for about 30 min per day but I like to make sure. It's easier for me to keep track.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    every Saturday, pizza night.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    I do that on occasion, nothing wrong with it...you get a little extra "fitness" activity in. As long as you are maintaining your deficit and accurately recording the exercise, it's almost a win/win!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    No because I consider my weight loss up to my calorie intake and my overall health and fitness due to my exercise. I think differently but it's helped me to lose almost 200lbs.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    No because I consider my weight loss up to my calorie intake and my overall health and fitness due to my exercise. I think differently but it's helped me to lose almost 200lbs.

Just want to say I think 200lbs of loss is an absolutely AMAZING achievment. You should be extremely proud of yourself!
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    ok

lets ask a question - why 1200 calories?

I tried 1200 and gained weight for exactly the reasons you have said - I'm hungrier than hell

So I switched up to 1450 base line , I excercise most days ( 2hours Gym time) I add back a portion of my burn to the db here - I don't trust the MFP database its skewed probably down to the number of different inputs

I use http://www.freedieting.com/ as this is a standard db - this checks my hrm/gym and other apps reported calorie burn. I test my gym out every week and the cals burnt is within 1% so its pretty good

When I enter my burn I use a spreadsheet to calculate what I add back - it deducts approx 20% based on my BMR/BMI/Fat weight which I check every week and update

Then just to kill the fat some more I have changed my sugar intake to have a base line of 35grammes/day - the first week I was so very hungry but I got through it and now im less hungry. When i get a craving now a glass of water/cup of tea does the trick
    Now my sugars float around the 50g intake with exercise and i really am starting to notice just how sweet things can be

hope this is helpfull you can add me if you want to discuss more - there is also a group on here and the mentor is just awesome her knowledge is outstanding

Matt
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    I went on a walk one night just so I could have :"extra" mayo in my pasta salad.

This made me LOL! Hilarious! I don't blame you.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    According to my TDEE and BMR I eat 1800 calories/day, and I STILL exercise to eat more lol Food is fuel that happens to taste good so I do my best to make sure I have to fill the tank more often heheheh. Will work for food!
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Of course I do.
  • Yeah I'm set for about 1300, I find this very hard to stay close to or under..sooo yeah when I do exercise, I go hard so I can gain back about 500-700 lol. I'm still consistently losing weight so eating more doesn't bother me lol, I love to eat!
  • Livylove90
    Livylove90 Posts: 14
    Did just that a few hours ago, treated myself to a whole wheat tuna sandwich :) it was delicious