Aaahh!! My daughter wants a thigh gap!!!

Options

Replies

• SniffyDoodle
    SniffyDoodle Posts: 129
    Options
    Okay, it's so easy to say all of this to a 14 year old, but she's not listening. She and all her friends are concerned that they are too fat because they don't have this gap. So sad. And I have no idea how to respond to it. I haven't dealt with this before. :(
  • SniffyDoodle
    Options
    My 13 year old daughter is a stick and so has a gap. But when I asked her if all the girls were talking about "thigh gaps", she had no idea what it even was. In fact, she thought it sounded like an injury! Ha ha!

I would tell your daughter that it's a fad obsession and not to worry about it. Next we'll all be dying to have the "right" earlobes.

See, my daughter is 14 and doesn't have a gap, but she IS stick thin!!! That's the problem!!!!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Just teach her how to fake it in picture.
    And teach her healthy eating habits.

God, I have no idea what I would do if I had a teenage girl.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's so easy to say all of this to a 14 year old, but she's not listening. She and all her friends are concerned that they are too fat because they don't have this gap. So sad. And I have no idea how to respond to it. I haven't dealt with this before. :(

id say science. there is a problem. shes worried about her weight. so do her numbers, BMI etc. then tackle it from there, i.e if she wants to change her body show her how to do it with diet and excercise.

its an opportunity to educate her about something very important that most people learn the hard way or not at all.
    :)

thats my serious answer
  • plzlbsbegone
    plzlbsbegone Posts: 233
    Options
    b58b27ddc779f3c6a063b935aefd2152.jpg

So people come by the "gap" naturally, others would have to starve themselves to get it. I personally would rather have the beautiful body on the right :drinker:
  • nikilis
    Options
    b58b27ddc779f3c6a063b935aefd2152.jpg

So people come by the "gap" naturally, others would have to starve themselves to get it. I personally would rather have the beautiful body on the right :drinker:

yah... the one on the right. damn, now im aroused.
  • SniffyDoodle
    Options

id say science. there is a problem. shes worried about her weight. so do her numbers, BMI etc. then tackle it from there, i.e if she wants to change her body show her how to do it with diet and excercise.

its an opportunity to educate her about something very important that most people learn the hard way or not at all.

thats my serious answer

OMG, I've tried. :(

Sometimes I think that parents are powerless against the latest fads. :(
  • nikilis
    Options

thats my serious answer

OMG, I've tried. :(

Sometimes I think that parents are powerless against the latest fads. :(

I was like that when I was young. feel for ya bro.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    What the heck is a thigh gap? I have been reading about this a lot. My thighs never met so I dont get it. And also doesnt it depend on the bone structure of your legs? So confusing!!!

Lots of pics of "thigh gaps" so you understand...
    http://****yeahthighgap.tumblr.com/

My goodness some of those girls look like crackwhores.:noway:
  • nikilis
    Options
    What the heck is a thigh gap? I have been reading about this a lot. My thighs never met so I dont get it. And also doesnt it depend on the bone structure of your legs? So confusing!!!

Lots of pics of "thigh gaps" so you understand...
    http://****yeahthighgap.tumblr.com/

My goodness some of those girls look like crackwhores.:noway:

some of them look like they have rickets.

news flash:

guys don't care about thigh gaps.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would help her figure out her BMI and what not and show her she's actually probably underweight. Probably won't help this weird fad go away but might help her feel skinny.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Highly unattractive. Looks unhealthy.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My 13 year old daughter is a stick and so has a gap. But when I asked her if all the girls were talking about "thigh gaps", she had no idea what it even was. In fact, she thought it sounded like an injury! Ha ha!

I would tell your daughter that it's a fad obsession and not to worry about it. Next we'll all be dying to have the "right" earlobes.

See, my daughter is 14 and doesn't have a gap, but she IS stick thin!!! That's the problem!!!!

Patience and repetition, mom. And above all, don't panic! She hears you, but more than that she *sees* you. So be her example of confidence and self esteem. Show her that you love yourself. And hang in there. The teenage years suck. But she's got a mom that's involved, so she's gonna be just fine. :flowerforyou:
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I am definitely a leg man and I just don't get this whole thing about thigh gaps. Either I am old and out-of-touch, or this is some strange concocted fad that makes no sense. As far as teenagers listening, let me know if you've cracked that nut! I believe they hear us and some of what we say actually registers, but they'll never giving us the satisfaction of acknowledging it.
  • Monday7
    Monday7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey everyone. As silly as it sounds I really want a thigh gap. I'm super healthy and have a visible four pack but I can't seem to loose the fat off my thighs. Any practical advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options
    This is the most comprehensive post I've seen explaining the thigh gap and why lots of people will never have one.

http://size10plz.tumblr.com/post/39346180390/what-are-thigh-gaps-and-why-you-probably-arent
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Its genetics. I have wide hips, and have a thigh gap naturally standing (not all the way from hip to knee unless I am around 130lbs). I would give up a thigh gap for smaller hips... any day. Then I curled my hair because it was straight like many girls
    I also wonder what it would be like to be 5'3" and be able to wear heels without looking like an amazon. Bottom line? Hopefully she learns to love her body as it is.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    As silly as this sounds.. it might be helpful to have a trusted male figure.. father, older brother, etc. provide perspective.. i.e. she is cute the way she is... Guys -do not- care about thigh gap (and most probably do not like it)... help give her a healthy perspective on her appearance from someone thats not her mom.. you know mom's always think you're perfect the way you are!

Oh, and happy mothers day!
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    why?? all those girls look sickly. I cant see a guy thinking thats cute so why do girls???? maybe its cuz i've always had curves but that doesn't seem cute to me.

A girl can have thigh gap and still have curves. It is based on hip size. Aren't wide hips considered curves????
  • nitole111
    nitole111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Did you ask her if she wants a thigh gap because she wants guys to like her better or because she thinks she would be healthier. And I'm sure the answer would be because she wants guys to like her, and I'm pretty sure guys don't give two craps if a girl has a thigh gap-if they even notice at all. I have guy friends who don't even know what a thigh gap is! It's really not that big of a deal but I'm sure you've told her this.