Too much fiber?

Options
At the moment i'm sticking to my calories and doing lots of exercise, but according to the numbers i'm eating "too much fibre". I pretty much always go over the target every day even though my calories, fat, sat fat, carbs and protein are all ok. Is too much fibre bad for you? Can you eat too much fibre?!

Replies

• elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If your going over what they have as the preset your good cause I think its 14 or something really 25 g is suggested.
  • leadman
    leadman Posts: 7
    Options
    I believe MFP defaults are too low and 25-35g per day are actually suggested. I average 40+ and notice no negative side effects.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    don't worry about the fiber. it helps keep you full and regular:laugh:
    the amt on mfp is lower than the recommendations
  • lrberchielli
    Options
    MFP only recommended 13 grams of fiber a day for me but different medical associations recommend different amounts. Women should get 20 -30 (depending on which organization you refer to). I manually changed my recommendations to 25 (I am a vegetarian and it seemed a good amount for me to shoot for so I avoid the junk). I know that too much fiber (more than 70 grams) can lead to problems with vitamin and mineral absorption. You would have to eat a whole lot of salad to have that issue. I read somewhere that Asians get about 3 times the amount that Americans get (about 15 a day on average).
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I go over on my fiber too. I think they have it set too low. The American Heart Association, among others, recommends 25-30 grams per day. The average person takes in about 15. Just be sure you drink your water or it will make you very uncomfortable. :wink:
  • lrberchielli
    Options
    Ditto on the H2O
  • mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    As long as you feel fine, don't worry about it. I'm almost always over my fiber every day.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My friend told me she learned in her nutrition class that the body doesn't actually obsorb fiber. It's used as a catalyst to get "things moving." The average person carries around 5-8 extra pounds of waste in their digestive track, and fiber helps flush that out. So I say, pack it on!
  • AkAmber
    AkAmber Posts: 40
    Options
    Yup, the nutritionist I saw a couple years ago told me to aim for 30, but that more was fine too as long as I was drinking water. It really can't hurt you unless you get really ridiculous with it!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm usually good on about 30 but I'm set at 25g.