How do I drive my paleo coworker crazy?

Options

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Every time he starts up, begin trying to convert him to Scientology. Play doh models are highly recommended.

If all else fails, attempt to Vader force-choke him

^This.

If you release him from the force choke, start asking about permissible exposure limits for "contaminants" that he fears most from the dreaded non-paleo foods.

Also, ask him if we should abandon all modern technology, science, and infrastructure in order to mimic a true caveman lifestyle.

Caveman%20Games.jpg
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.

Correct response for everything.

LOL

Ask him if he only eat local food 100%.... like walking distance, no trucks brought it anywhere. I had somewhere to go with this but I forgot.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Talk like a caveman. "Me like food. Food good. Me lunch now." etc.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA I freakin DARE you to do this! Oh please, pretty please with sugar (or bacon) on top do this and report back!!!!!
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

he might like my blog:

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/paleo-bread-recipe/

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/the-lower-palaeolithic-diet/

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-reality-of-palaeolithic-diets/ <-- tell him if he's not eating hippos he's doing it wrong....

btw I'm a palaeoanthropology nerd and studied a lot of this at university (albeit more than a decade ago and I'm still catching up on recent developments in palaeoanthropology)

I have nothing against the concept behind the palaeo diet, i.e. eating the diet we evolved to eat, however a) it's a bit extreme and not strictly necessary to cut out foods like dairy if you're not actually allergic or intolerant to them... humans are highly adaptable... and b) most of what gets put on the internet about the paleo diet is pseudoscience. Dairy is the only truly post-neolithic food (you can't milk wild animals), because neolithic man sure as anything didn't start cultivating foods no-one had ever eaten before...! They certainly didn't invent them, they just cultivated them. The main issue from a health standpoint is that the hunter-gatherer diet was wide and varied, while the neolithic diet relied very heavily on large quantities of a small number of plants, which led to nutritional deficiencies. There is an issue with cultivated varieties being more allergenic, and it's true that people from populations who have been hunter-gatherers until recent times have higher levels of lactose intolerance (which is evidence that people from populations with a long history of farming have adapted to be able to digest dairy!)... but there's no actual need to give up foods you're not allergic or intolerant to.

When I was at uni, one of the palaeoanthropology lecturers told us about the concept of palaeo dieting (this was in the late 90s) yet what he presented was totally different to what's on the internet now... the diet he talked about advised eating a very wide range of different plant foods rather than 2-3 staples, and also (where possible) to choose wild meat over farmed meat (domestic animals have undergone selective breeding just as domestic plants have!). Additionally, the main thing that stopped palaeolithic people from becoming obese is the amount of exercise they had to do to find food in the first place.

The upshot of it is if he's being self righteous, you can probably shut him up from some actual palaeoanthropology from actual peer reviewed journals. There's a phone app out there that you put a food in and it tells you if it's paleo or not........... Yet the journal of human evolution can't do that, so how is some food guru's phone app going to be able to tell me stuff about the diets of palaeolithic peoples that peer reviewed journals can't? "Caveman" (not the most accurate term really because most palaeolithic people didn't actually live in caves, just that caves preserve the remains of those that did a whole lot better than those who lived and died on the plains, in forests, etc) ate wild grains and legumes, and if you get into the whole wild v cultivated thing, you'll find it's practically impossible to get wild vareties of anything except meat and fish/seafood nowadays. Practically every plant in the supermarket will be a cultivated variety that's been subject to some degree of selective breeding. Look up how different wild bananas are to the cultivated varieties of banana and plantain you get in the supermarket.
    [/quote]

This was a great post.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

he might like my blog:

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/paleo-bread-recipe/

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/the-lower-palaeolithic-diet/

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-reality-of-palaeolithic-diets/ <-- tell him if he's not eating hippos he's doing it wrong....

btw I'm a palaeoanthropology nerd and studied a lot of this at university (albeit more than a decade ago and I'm still catching up on recent developments in palaeoanthropology)

I have nothing against the concept behind the palaeo diet, i.e. eating the diet we evolved to eat, however a) it's a bit extreme and not strictly necessary to cut out foods like dairy if you're not actually allergic or intolerant to them... humans are highly adaptable... and b) most of what gets put on the internet about the paleo diet is pseudoscience. Dairy is the only truly post-neolithic food (you can't milk wild animals), because neolithic man sure as anything didn't start cultivating foods no-one had ever eaten before...! They certainly didn't invent them, they just cultivated them. The main issue from a health standpoint is that the hunter-gatherer diet was wide and varied, while the neolithic diet relied very heavily on large quantities of a small number of plants, which led to nutritional deficiencies. There is an issue with cultivated varieties being more allergenic, and it's true that people from populations who have been hunter-gatherers until recent times have higher levels of lactose intolerance (which is evidence that people from populations with a long history of farming have adapted to be able to digest dairy!)... but there's no actual need to give up foods you're not allergic or intolerant to.

When I was at uni, one of the palaeoanthropology lecturers told us about the concept of palaeo dieting (this was in the late 90s) yet what he presented was totally different to what's on the internet now... the diet he talked about advised eating a very wide range of different plant foods rather than 2-3 staples, and also (where possible) to choose wild meat over farmed meat (domestic animals have undergone selective breeding just as domestic plants have!). Additionally, the main thing that stopped palaeolithic people from becoming obese is the amount of exercise they had to do to find food in the first place.

The upshot of it is if he's being self righteous, you can probably shut him up from some actual palaeoanthropology from actual peer reviewed journals. There's a phone app out there that you put a food in and it tells you if it's paleo or not........... Yet the journal of human evolution can't do that, so how is some food guru's phone app going to be able to tell me stuff about the diets of palaeolithic peoples that peer reviewed journals can't? "Caveman" (not the most accurate term really because most palaeolithic people didn't actually live in caves, just that caves preserve the remains of those that did a whole lot better than those who lived and died on the plains, in forests, etc) ate wild grains and legumes, and if you get into the whole wild v cultivated thing, you'll find it's practically impossible to get wild vareties of anything except meat and fish/seafood nowadays. Practically every plant in the supermarket will be a cultivated variety that's been subject to some degree of selective breeding. Look up how different wild bananas are to the cultivated varieties of banana and plantain you get in the supermarket.

[/quote]

This was a great post.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Started a new job last week. Sharing a tiny office with a crazy paleo guy. He spent the day lecturing me about beans making ricin and leeching nutrients from my colon.

He is VERY preachy and I just don't need that. I am not a junk food person at all, I eat mainly just good home prepared food. I really don't believe the hype about eating such extreme diets where you cut out so many foods and eat so much bacon and steak. Not my thing.

I'd really like to have a bit of info to toss back at him when his mouth keeps flapping and all of this nonsense tumbles out. Any ideas?
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just tell 'em that cavemen would have looooved waffles. Because it's true.
  • workavoidance
    Options
    I dunno. Maybe mention all the progress the human race has been able to make since the advent of agriculture. You know... like civilization and a life expectancy that's about 50 years longer. All do to our ability to cultivate non paleo foods, get better nutrition, support larger populations, etc.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Tell him how much you love Banana and Ice cream sandwiches, with momosa's for breakfast and you wash it down with a hint of skittles, cuz you like to tassssssste the raaaaaainbowww
  • meaningful99
    meaningful99 Posts: 174
    Options
    You could tell him that archaeological studies of paleolithic dental remains in Europe uncovered plaque containing barley and legumes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

Or you could just wait because the paleo diet is gross and no one ever sticks to it for very long.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Tell him how much you love Banana and Ice cream sandwiches, with momosa's for breakfast and you wash it down with a hint of skittles, cuz you like to tassssssste the raaaaaainbowww

This ^^^
    Or just just tell him to shove iit
  • Cp731
    Options
    Show him a picture of your 52 cats

]cat_collage.gif
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Look the man straight in the eye and say "I appreciate that you are enthusiastic about food, but could we talk about something else?" If that doesn't work, throat punch him.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Nod, smile, make appropriate attentive listening noises, then offer him some cheese-flavored potato chips.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Bring is tasty non-paleo breads and baking just to taunt him, he'll eventually break
  • lovemyawv
    lovemyawv Posts: 3
    Options
    Try this...I do it to my kids...and they now "get" that I am not going to engage in a debate. Say 1 of these things......
    1. oh dear
    2. I will keep that in mind
    3. now that is something to think about

Its actually good to know these phrases, you will be surprised how many times you can use them.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I think I would have Hardees Thick Burgers with Bacon and Extra Bacon for a week, see how good his resolve truly is.

Of course you would eat nothing else or days, or develop short term bulimia to compensate, but whatevs. :laugh:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Any of the following would be an appropriate response:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzqSoV2jXXLmmwlLtzutseX8SOapUWXE_RxuG7JhDLFAy_Td-d7Q

thatssotrue_4728_1331700358.gif

tumblr_m8w1soNOsA1rn7au0.gif

tumblr_m41uy2DjHz1rol1w1.gif
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Buy him two books...Paleofantasy and 12 Paleo Myths
  • Cp731
    Options
    Keep a box of pizza in you desk and give him this look as soon as he starts in on his spiel.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzqSoV2jXXLmmwlLtzutseX8SOapUWXE_RxuG7JhDLFAy_Td-d7Q

HAHAHAHAHAHA...
    ]d80372be-a520-4d09-8f6b-d61cd0daf519_zps2b1ceee8.jpg
    Don't go with out these!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: