Sugar = Fat ?

Options
Ok so this may seem like a really stupid question but its a question that I would like answering none the less.

If I have a lot of sugar a day (about 120g a day) will I increase in terms of body fat despite still burning more calories than I eat ?

I know the simple fact is that if I burn more than I eat then I will loose weight but I am keen to loose fat more so than general body mass, My daily food intake is relatively low in fat (about 50g or so total) but high in sugar, I eat at least 2 bannan's a day plus yoghurts and porridge with honey, the odd chocolate bars gets a look in too.

I do a LOT of cycling, I love cycling so much so that I see it as a reward after work to cycle home, I clock up about 120 miles a week and as such I tend to eat the fruit / high sugar foods to keep me perked up when in the saddle. My daily food intake is around 2200 calories and according to various calorie burners I burn around 600-900 calories a day cycling. For ref I weight 78kg @ 5'10" - 31 yr old male.

In terms of fat loss (as apposed to generic weight loss) am I better off ditching the high sugar diet and switching to high protein ?

Please help.

Replies

• Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Fructose when not in the form of an actual fruit is bad. Juice, refined sugar, HFCS are all a form of fructose or sucralose which are no good for you. Other sugars, like those occuring in vegetables, milk and fruit are good. Your liver processes fructose and turns it into fat. There is a scientific explanation that I am not qualified to give but can be found in this lecture/documentary which is a real eye opener. I would personally get more protein and get my sugars from naturally occuring foods. Here is a link to the video if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Fructose when not in the form of an actual fruit is bad. Juice, refined sugar, HFCS are all a form of fructose or sucralose which are no good for you. Other sugars, like those occuring in vegetables, milk and fruit are good. Your liver processes fructose and turns it into fat. There is a scientific explanation that I am not qualified to give but can be found in this lecture/documentary which is a real eye opener. I would personally get more protein and get my sugars from naturally occuring foods. Here is a link to the video if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    It's a bit more complicated than just the calories in calories out. Like you said basically not all sugars are created equally, and the way your body processes them isn't the same. It's in the insulin reponse your body has to the type of sugar. Now I have to go and watch that video!!