Protein shake question

Options
Tme2change
Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
Another question on calculating calories...so even though I used a scoop of the protein powder (gross)...I used 12 oz of water to dilute reccomended is 8...I only drank 6 oz...how would I count that since obivously I didn't drink the entire 110 calories of protein?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Well, water doesn't have calories and you drank half of your shake, and if total calories is 110, then half is 55. :wink:
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Another question on calculating calories...so even though I used a scoop of the protein powder (gross)...I used 12 oz of water to dilute reccomended is 8...I only drank 6 oz...how would I count that since obivously I didn't drink the entire 110 calories of protein?

That must have been one weak tasting shake. 4oz per scoop actually give something that tastes like a milk shake.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    agree with m4ttcheek - why wouldn't you just drink the whole thing?? 110calories is not bad, and you probably need the protein. :)
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Just drink it! The protein is sooo good for you.

I mix mine with 2 cups of water... 1-2 tbs of peanut butter.. 2 scoops of Protein (100% Whey) and extra ice..

MMMMMM all in a blender!! sooo delicious!!! makes me wanna go work out now!!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you don't care for the taste instead of water use coconut/almond milk (unsweetened), put in a couple of ice cubes and blend it up. I do this plus ad a tablespoon of Davinci or Torani sugar free flavor (usually caramel) YUM!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    .8 of a scoop
  • Tme2change
    Options
    If you don't care for the taste instead of water use coconut/almond milk (unsweetened), put in a couple of ice cubes and blend it up. I do this plus ad a tablespoon of Davinci or Torani sugar free flavor (usually caramel) YUM!
    yeah tried it with a variety of different milks prior to this and it tasted worse.
    I'm actually thinking about doing a fruit/vegetable shake to see if that will work to mask the flavor. its just gross in general it leaves a metalic after taste.
  • Tme2change
    Options
    Just drink it! The protein is sooo good for you.

I mix mine with 2 cups of water... 1-2 tbs of peanut butter.. 2 scoops of Protein (100% Whey) and extra ice..

MMMMMM all in a blender!! sooo delicious!!! makes me wanna go work out now!!
    I tried chugging it. I understand protein is good for me being a post bariatric patient that is why I drink it on the way to work. So I get my protein at least 20 grams in the morning
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Time to try a new protein shake!

The unflavoured ones (hemp and pea etc) aren't great for mixing with water, they taste like paste, but mixed with blended spinach/brocolli and egg whites and made into pancakes! Awesome!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Or buy a different brand. I love mine!!!!
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I didn't know bad tasting shakes still existed. Have you tried Optimum nutrition 100% whey?
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options

I agree. This morning I used pb2 powder along with vanilla protein powder and 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1/2 frozen banana and 5 ice cubes. Other times I use the Torani syrup as well. My recipe comes out to 255 cals and that's for my breakfast meal. I'm ok with that. I love my ninja to mix them up. I keep it right on the counter.

My son (trying to build muscle and add bulk) drinks his protein powder with milk and usually adds nothing else. He prefers choc protein powder - go figure :)
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Half... assuming the scoop mixed in evenly. I have my protein scoop mixed in with berries, a little greek yogurt, ice, and unsweetened almond milk... this is for post-workout or breakfast. I even add a handful of spinach, too! NOmnomnomnomnom
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with almond milk- not water. Only adds like 30 or 40 cals depending on which one you get but makes it more of a shake then a water drink
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Peel bananas, halve them and put them in the freezer. Then blend them with the protein and the liquid. I use the Optimum Nutrition double chocolate and has a great taste, like a real milkshake. The taste is so good that I can drink it with water and the banana.
  • sweatybettyboop
    sweatybettyboop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of proteins out there that taste good & aren't 'gross' as you stated.

JBN whey protein is an excellent protein.

My favorite go to blender protein shake is 210 calories:

1 scoop JBN Protein - Oatmeal Cookie
    2 TBSP PB2
    2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk - Vanilla
    Ice Cubes
    Truvia to sweeten, if desired

Very filling & very tasty! Great as a meal replacement or after a great workout.
  • Tme2change
    Options
    Problem is with replacing it right now is that we bought a huge tub of it....and I stopped drinking because of the same reason and then we purchased another tub of something else, well of course we ran out of that one and now we still have a 1/4 of tub still of this left.
    I appreciate all the great info and I believe I'll start mixing it with different things (fruit and sorts) to mask the taste
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Just wondering which brand of Protein Shake you are taking that taste so bad so I can avoid recommending it, :laugh:

Syntrax Matrix, Optimum Nutrition, MyoFusion all have good taste ratings:

SYNTRAX Matrix 2.0 Cookies and Cream 2.16 lbs @ $20.57
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/syntrax-matrix_20.htm
    Protein: 23g / Calories: 120 / Carbs: 3 / Sugar 2g
    Taste Rating: 9+ for any flavor, Cookies & Cream is tasty

OPTIMUM NUTRITION 100% Whey Protein - Gold Standard @ $24.99
    Banana Cream 2 lbs
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/optimum_nutrition-100_percent_whey_protein_gold_st.htm
    Protein: 24g / Calories: 120 / Carbs: 4 / Sugar 1g
    Taste Rating: Vanilla Ice Cream is lowest at 7.9, all others 8.2-9.1 (Milk Chocolate or Mocha)

GASPARI NUTRITION MyoFusion Elite Protein Series 2lbs @ $26.89
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/gaspari_nutrition-myofusion_elite_protein_series.htm
    Protein: 25g / Calories: 150 / Carbs: 5 / Sugar <1g
    Taste Rating: 9.1 for Strawberries & Cream, 8.6 Peanut Butter, 8.0 Vanilla, 7.7 Milk Chocolate
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Just finish it....geez.....or mix it with stuff to make it taste good....
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My husband and I got a big bag of the Cytosport vanilla whey from Costco, and then discovered that it has a really awful aftertaste. It's better if the drink is really cold, so we mix up multiple servings in a container and keep it in the fridge. It also allows the powder to combine with the water more effectively so it's not as grainy to drink. The chocolate version of the same product doesn't taste as plasticky.