Want to live to 105? Eat more bacon.

Options
WinnerVictorious
WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/105-year-old-attributes-bacon-longevity

in this case, i'm going to make an executive decision and confirm that correlation does in fact equal causation! :wink:

bacon_header.jpg

Replies

• oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    <<<<<< Doesnt eat pork.
  • Only1Mickee
    Only1Mickee Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    BACON-BRA-pic-1_zpsde787597.jpg
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    <<<<<< Doesnt eat pork.

More for me. Thank you for passing on the delicious pork products.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    <<<<<< Doesnt eat pork.

See you at your funeral.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    We’re talking one slice of bacon a day is enough for dire consequences.

Whether it’s the nitrates or the fat or the salt in those products, they need to be eaten with caution. It’s impossible to make good sausage without a shocking amount of fat, and of course there will be plenty of salt too.

I went and found the study, and quote the conclusion below. And keep in mind, as NPR noted, and I fact-checked it myself, that when the study is talking about “high consumption of processed meat,” they’re talking about 20g of processed meat, such as bacon, a day. And how much is 20g of bacon a day? One slice. Maybe one and a half.

Bacon via Shutterstock

The results of our analyses suggest that men and women with a high consumption of processed meat are at increased risk of early death, in particular due to cardiovascular diseases but also to cancer. In this population, reduction of processed meat consumption to less than 20 g/day would prevent more than 3% of all deaths. As processed meat consumption is a modifiable risk factor, health promotion activities should include specific advice on lowering processed meat consumption.

Again, that “high consumption” is a piece of bacon.

Another interesting finding from the study was that, in contrast to studies done in the US, the Europeans didn’t find the same death-correlation with red meat generally that they found with processed meats, such as salami, bologna and bacon:

In contrast to the US results, we observed a consistent association between processed meat consumption and total mortality but not between red meat consumption and total mortality. Processed meats such as sausages, salami and bacon have a higher content of saturated fatty acids and cholesterol than fresh red meat; the latter is often consumed after removing the visible fat tissue, whereas the proportion of fat in sausages often reaches 50% of the weight or even more. Both high saturated fat and cholesterol intake have been found to be related to the risk of coronary heart disease [2]. Also, processed meat is treated by salting, curing, or smoking in order to improve the durability of the food and/or to improve color and taste. These processes, however, lead to an increased intake of carcinogens or their precursors (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, heterocyclic aromatic amines, nitrosamines) or to a high intake of specific compounds possibly enhancing the development of carcinogenic processes (for example, nitrite).

Even sadder, the study leader, Sabine Rohrmann, says to limit your overall meat intake, not just processed meat, to a little over a pound a week, max:

Rohrmann is sympathetic. “My recommendation is to limit meat intake, in particular processed meat intake,” she told The Salt via email. “However, we know that meat is rich in some vitamins and minerals and, thus, my recommendation is to limit the [total] amount of meat to about 300 to 600 grams a week.”

That’s a little over a pound, at the upper limit.

I’d be curious if she includes chicken (doubtful) or pork in the “meat” category. I suspect she means “red meat,” as that’s where the concern is usefully focused.

As someone who loves to cook and loves to eat, it’s frustrating to read these studies. “Everything in moderation” is the answer for me, though adding more fruit and vegetables – organic when I can afford them (to avoid the chemicals on the skins) – is probably the best course of action.

Damn you, curly-haired child — damn you to hell:

Print

Tags: bacon, bologna, cancer, health, heart disease, processed meat, sausage, study

Next Newer Post

Next Older Post

Chris in Paris
    An American in Paris, France. BA in History & Political Science from Ohio State. Provided consulting services to US software startups, launching new business overseas that have both IPO’d and sold to well-known global software companies. Currently launching a new cloud-based startup for the Microsoft market. Full bio here.

Get Updates

Weekly: Recap top stories, occasional action alerts.

Daily: Get each day's posts in one email.

by Taboola
    From the Web

5 Signs You'll Get CancerNewsmax

Billionaire Tells Americans to Prepare For "Financial Ruin"Moneynews

10 Beauty Secrets Every Woman Should KnoweHow

Decisive Moment That Ended a KidnappingNYTimes

Eat These 3 Super Foods To Burn Fat Like A FurnacePerfect Living

The Unhealthiest "Healthy" FoodsStack
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Too many words. Words.

Moar bacon.

U6QCz3j.jpg?1
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    How old was the writer of that ^ study conclusion above? Unless he was 106, old lady wins in my book. :laugh:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in living to be 105.... but I do have plenty of interest in eating lots and lots of bacon...
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Depending on who you ask my grandma will be 100 or 110 or 67 (according to her). She eats bacon for breakfast every morning, as well as scrambled eggs and a crapton of butter on toast. And coffee to go with her cream. She's still alive and going strong. If she can eat bacon everyday and live that old, so can I!
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    <<<<<< Doesnt eat pork.

See you at your funeral.

I eat chicken bacon.... does that count?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    <<<<<< Doesnt eat pork.

See you at your funeral.

I eat chicken bacon.... does that count?

What part of the chicken does the bacon come from.... stuff is gross!
  • Only1Mickee
    Only1Mickee Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to inform Melinda^^^ :noway: of WV's sense of Humor and the Fact that this post IS in the Chit-Chat, Fun and Games catagory! Jeez!

Bacon.jpg
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Now I feel even better about my bacon consumption!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Whether it’s the nitrates or the fat or the salt in those products, they need to be eaten with caution. It’s impossible to make good sausage without a shocking amount of fat, and of course there will be plenty of salt too.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

tl;dr.

relax. have some bacon. count to 10. have some more bacon.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes!! That old woman is my hero lol. I read that story yesterday. Made me day. And Oscar Meyer is so nice for dropping in on her in the weenie mobile with a personal bacon delivery!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    uRNOF2u.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    youll be dead . stupidest thing ive ever heard in my life

Head, watching joke fly right over it.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Life without bacon simply ain't worth living!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

X4zDr.jpg