When to start lifting heavy?

Options
13»

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Several people mentioned Starting Strength...it is an excellent program for beginners. You want to focus on a full body, compound lifting program that is progressive in nature at this point if you want to actually benefit. This is why others have stated that your proposed routine is pretty much useless.

look at Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Lifts, etc. If you truly want benefits do an actual program that is tried and true in getting results. You don't know enough to make up your own routine as admittedly, you are new to this.

I started out with SS,and I think it's a great program. It's simple, and effective; best of all anyone can do it!

Even after a few years of lifting the core lifts are still in my routine. It's a very similar routine, just expanded.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Since when was body building just steamed chicken and veggies? It's about general clean eating while hitting your macro's... aka the foundation to any good diet. Lift heavy when you know how to perform the exercise safely.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bumping for later read.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Get the book " New Rules of Lifting for Women". Read it. Great info though the program itself is a bit complicated. The Nutritional section is great!

Download the Strong Lifts program from the internet. Read it, Watch the form videos. Also watch any videos you find by Mark Rippetoe.

Download the Strong Lifts app to your smart phone (if you have one). Do the program. The app will tell you when, what and how much each time you go to the gym.

It starts with just the bar (45 pounds) and works up by 5 pounds each session. Eventually it gets really heavy and you'll struggle more (like I am), but by then, you should have gotten the form down with the lower weights. I wish I had started this program from day one, but as a newbie to weight loss, I was clueless.

Do this and eat a deficit. I believe an earlier poster (possibly on page 1 or 2) outlined this program quite well.
  • lhprop1
    lhprop1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You don't just "start lifting heavy". It's something you start and work up to through many hours and years of sacrifice, discipline, and hard work.

Slap some plates on a bar and pick it up. Start today. Just make sure you use proper form.

Starting strength, as others have mentioned, is a great way to get started.