Upper body cardio ideas

Options
ze_hombre
ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
I am training for a half marathon using Hal Higdon's plan and he recommends doing cross training every other day. I have been biking on those days or going for short fast runs on my treadmill due to weather. I think I would like to find something that has a bit more balance to it and does more upper body work. I feel like I am putting too much emphasis on my lower body and ignoring my chest and arms. Plus I am convinced whoever designs bike seats is a sadist.

The point of these cross training days is not to build strength so much as to build up the cardio system, so I don't want to do weight training. Not opposed, just not enough of a cardio workout IMO. I am looking for something that I can do sustained for at least an hour.

I have access to several lakes and rivers in my area, so I am thinking about getting into kayaking. I also have partial access to a pool so I could do laps (I have to pay $8 each visit and there isn't an option for a membership plus my wife has to go with me as its the university's rec center where she is a student. Its not ideal but doable).

Anyone have any other ideas for good upper body cardio exercises?

Replies

• Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My gosh, I've come here to ask the same question and it seems there are no answers here.

So far, I'm finding swimming (emphasizing movement through upper body) and rowing/kayaking as well. Anyone these days have ideas?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    shadowboxing with light weights?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. i was a runner until june when i fractured my hip - since then its been all upper body, and now with a little more weight bearing some stationary full body.

I never thought i could enjoy anything like i loved running - the runners high was something else. WEll until i found yoga. I began bikram (because i still have to sweat!) and found after about 1.5 months that it became a new challenge every time i stepped into the room - i loved the meditation of it all that calmed me after i cuoldnt 'run away' my problems, and found that i dropped a bunch of weight and toned up - without changing diet at all. Plus it has healed (or assisted to!) my joints and muscles…! I can't say good enough things about this practice. the biggest downside is its a full 90 minutes each time so very time inefficient, and where i live the classes don't start till 630 which means they don't finish till 8, and this is practically hopeless since i have meetings starting then.

for all the runners, this will help your running SO much!
  • browndog1410
    Options
    Burpees. These are the king of exercises. Do a pushup, skip your feet under you then jump up. If this instruction doesn't make sense have a look at youtube. Most often done in HIIT or Tabata style. This will definately improve fitness. I don't run but improved my fitness incredibly with burpees. If you have some dumb bells then consider the 'man-makers', or combining burpees with pullups / chinups. This is an entire body workout.
    have fun while you do it.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Barbell complexes
    Metabolic conditioning circuits (press ups, pull ups, db/bb thrusters, dips etc). Take a look through the Crossfit Football workout archives to get some inspiration
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ze_hombre wrote: »
    I am training for a half marathon using Hal Higdon's plan and he recommends doing cross training every other day.

In practice getting the same CV effect from upper body predominant training is extremely difficult. I'd suggest rowing as probably the most effective for both developing CV capacity, and giving you some resistance effect, particularly around your core, which is important in longer distances.

That said, I'd generally do more resistance training than Higdon suggests, particularly as the narrative is a very out of date view of resistance training for runner. It's a bit light and improving upper body strength and core strength reduces injury risk for distance runners.

An alternative would be bodyweight resistance work.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    so I don't want to do weight training. Not opposed, just not enough of a cardio workout IMO

I.
    Um....

um.

of course it's not a cardio workout. It's strength training. what were you expecting??

but- any type of weight training you do that are super setted or included in HIIT workouts will get you some cardio work.

But honestly- the point of cross training is to do other things to make you a more well rounded athlete.

rock climbing- jump roping- barbell complex's- jump rope- boxing are all going to get you more of what you want- but I would suggest you include some actual weight training.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for a half marathon, currently tapering though. For my "non-running" days I still actually run (only 2 miles) and then do a TRX upper body workout (along with some squats) and ab work.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I wouldn't call kayaking a cardio exercise. Swimming was my first thought. Boxing is a good suggestion as well.

What about something different, like yoga? Not really what you asked about, but a very good compliment to both cardio and strength training, and helps with injury prevention, recovery, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    so I don't want to do weight training. Not opposed, just not enough of a cardio workout IMO

I.
    Um....

um.

of course it's not a cardio workout. It's strength training. what were you expecting??

but- any type of weight training you do that are super setted or included in HIIT workouts will get you some cardio work.

But honestly- the point of cross training is to do other things to make you a more well rounded athlete.

rock climbing- jump roping- barbell complex's- jump rope- boxing are all going to get you more of what you want- but I would suggest you include some actual weight training.

This^

I do cardio and strength training. Separate days (just my preference). But exercise is for fitness. I do cardio for endurance and heart health. I do strength to hang on to lean muscle (especially while dieting) and bone health.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I wouldn't call kayaking a cardio exercise. Swimming was my first though. Boxing is a good suggestion as well.

What about something different, like yoga? Not really what you asked about, but a very good compliment to both cardio and strength training, and helps with injury prevention, recovery, etc.

LOL I would- only because I don't "DO" cardio (I mean I do- but it's not my favorite and it's certainly not a regular fixture in my life) so I know for me it would be.... and I think my coworker who does white water kayaking would probably say it lends itself to some cardio tendency's- but I could see how the argument could be made for it either way- I mentally lump any sort of rowing activities into cardio.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I wouldn't call kayaking a cardio exercise. Swimming was my first though. Boxing is a good suggestion as well.

LOL I would- only because I don't "DO" cardio (I mean I do- but it's not my favorite and it's certainly not a regular fixture in my life) so I know for me it would be.... and I think my coworker who does white water kayaking would probably say it lends itself to some cardio tendency's- but I could see how the argument could be made for it either way- I mentally lump any sort of rowing activities into cardio.

Fair point. I guess I just don't consider kayaking (at least not open water kayaking, which is what I do) as exercise at all... the intensity just isn't there (for me).

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Swimming and kayaking seem like great solutions. You could also do things like knee smashes, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, shadow boxing, arm circles, windmills.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    correct- and I suppose it depends on the purpose- I remember I got in a row boat once when I was younger- it was just a lake- there were two boats- 2 people/3 in each boat- and I was rowing in one- and I have no idea why- but I wanted to go as fast as I could EVERYWHERE- it wasn't leisurely- but I could see generic kayaking as not very intense.

I concur- could go either way.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How about some HiiT using body weight movements that focus on your upper body. There's a bazillion out there. You don't need to use weights.

You could do a Tabata or other interval that suits you more. Banging out exercises as fast as you can for 20-30s at a time with a 10s rest will definitely get your heart rate up.

I have a routine that I do every other day that looks like this:

30s - Navy Seal Push ups (aka Judo Pushups) -
    10s - Rest
    30s - Plank (core)
    10s - Rest
    30s - Dumbell front military presses
    10s - Rest
    30s - Spider-man pushups
    10s - Rest
    30s - Bent over rows (or pull ups if you have a bar)
    10s - Rest

I do that as many times as I can for 15 minutes, going as hard as I can during each exercise. Towards the end of the routine I modify any exercise I can't complete so I don't have to stop.

Suggesting that you want to work on your upper-body without any focus on strength just doesn't really compute.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine, with focus on arms only? That's a pretty good workout and you'll have to concentrate on posture which makes the time pass much quicker.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Do you go to the gym? You could try a Body Pump (or equivalent) class. I find they're pretty chest and arm heavy (though there's still leg work). Make the weights a bit lighter and go a bit faster for more cardio effect. Alternatively, try kickboxing maybe. I find the punches are a good cardio workout and the legs again are worked, but not over worked.

EDIT: I see you don't want to do strength training. Just wanted to point out that Body Pump is a muscle endurance class. That means it's meant to be cardio, not strength building. You won't build much muscle in that class (unless you've never lifted before ever even a little).

Also - my brother mentioned this to me yesterday, but he said when he started weight training his legs once a week in addition to running, he significantly improved his running pace/time. It's something you might want to consider.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    but I could see generic kayaking as not very intense.

Try 16-20 miles in a loaded sea boat, with tidal effects, and wind.

• JoRocka
    Options

did you read anything else? B/c that was my initial comment of yeah I tend to mentally lump it into a cardio.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I'm sure that's what the OP meant when he was talking about taking up kayaking.