exercise-induced acne?

Options
nikibob
nikibob Posts: 165 Member
normally, i am very blessed and have a great complexion. when i get back to running/sweating/working out regularly, i start getting lots of small bumps mainly on my forehead. what gives?

i shower after a run within 15 minutes or so, if i can't shower i at least splash some water on my face
i never have my hair down on my face when i work out
i do not wear headbands or sweatbands or anything other than bobby pins or a hair tie in my hair
i have had this happen when my hair was longer and i didn't use any styling products in my hair and i have had it happen when my hair is shorter and i do use products in my hair

any suggestions of things that worked for you if you have experienced this?

Replies

• Fifidecatur
    Options
    Hi. I just signed up for mfp, so I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I wanted to reply to your exercise related acne. I have a similar problem, but the breakout is usually around my nose and occasionally on my nose. Normally my skin is dry (has always been dryer than oily, even when I was a teenager), and, like you, I normally have been blessed with acne free skin. But when I do a hard workout that involves a lot of sweating, I notice a redness, and then a day or two later, I will have 2 or 3 pimples! I don't know how old you are, but judging by the photo, it doesn't look like you are menopausal or post-menopausal (like me). Even so, I'm wondering if you might be experiencing hormonal changes? I never had this problem until later in life (started in my late 40's), but perhaps it can happen to anyone at anytime.

You might want to consult a dermatologist. I bet there is a cream or something that would help. I was prescribed a very low, low dose of doxycycline (antibiotic) for 3 months. Cleared it right up. Good luck!
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    1) be sure to use a clean towel during every workout
    2) the second you finish your cooldown, jump in the shower or if no shower, wash your face
    3) drink lots of water daily.

when you start exercising, the toxins are flowing through your body and the first thing you notice it is through your skin. this is why water is so important so you pee everything out instead if it trying to come through your skin.
  • nikibob
    Options
    Hi. I just signed up for mfp, so I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I wanted to reply to your exercise related acne. I have a similar problem, but the breakout is usually around my nose and occasionally on my nose. Normally my skin is dry (has always been dryer than oily, even when I was a teenager), and, like you, I normally have been blessed with acne free skin. But when I do a hard workout that involves a lot of sweating, I notice a redness, and then a day or two later, I will have 2 or 3 pimples! I don't know how old you are, but judging by the photo, it doesn't look like you are menopausal or post-menopausal (like me). Even so, I'm wondering if you might be experiencing hormonal changes? I never had this problem until later in life (started in my late 40's), but perhaps it can happen to anyone at anytime.

You might want to consult a dermatologist. I bet there is a cream or something that would help. I was prescribed a very low, low dose of doxycycline (antibiotic) for 3 months. Cleared it right up. Good luck!

thanks for the advice, and i am 28 and on birth control so my hormones should be pretty regulated. my skin is also on the dry side though when i was in high school it was pretty oily!
  • nikibob
    Options
    1) be sure to use a clean towel during every workout
    2) the second you finish your cooldown, jump in the shower or if no shower, wash your face
    3) drink lots of water daily.

when you start exercising, the toxins are flowing through your body and the first thing you notice it is through your skin. this is why water is so important so you pee everything out instead if it trying to come through your skin.

i do need to drink more water, thanks for the tip. i will try that and see if that works! :)