Doctor? Or normal?

Options
I don't like going to the doctor unless I absolutely have too. So I was wondering if this is normal? I was running down my front steps and wasn't looking down. Missed a step and rolled my ankle. Prob just a sprain. But it has swelled quite a bit. I did the ice and wrap and its getting better. But yesterday when I got home from work and unwrapped it, the swelling had gone down enough where I could see the underside of it. It looks like a bruise along the bottom, but I suspect it is blood that has settled at the bottom. Is this normal? I don't think I physically hit the side of my foot hard enough to bruise, so did I break so blood vessels? Could this be a sign of anything worse??? Thank you!

Replies

• BebeStyles1990
    Options
    I'm the same with doctors, I hate going to see them. It probably is just a sprain, but if you've fractured or broken your foot you'll be better off seeing the doctor. If it heals wrong then you've got a problem for life.

Take it easy :)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal enough to sprain an ankle and have some bruising along with swelling around the area. Makes sense that it would settle somewhere.

I would base a doctor's visit on the pain you're feeling -- not the swelling/bruising, since that's more an indication of your body trying to heal the area. Pain could be symptom of an actual fracture or a ligament tear or something that may require some time off the ankle.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Edited: I just googled and apparently bruising with an ankle sprain is an indication of tearing of the ligaments. You're probably ok as long as you can put some weight on the leg but if it doesn't start getting better in a couple more days, I'd definitely go see the doctor

Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry, suck it up and go see my doc right away. I'd rather make sure I heal correctly and that it's nothing too severe. Over 10 years ago, I banged my toe and thought it was just a dumbass move and I had to limp around for a week or so but my friends' finally convinced me to go to the doc and lo and behold it was broken. Not much you can do for a broken toe but still, I should've been elevating it and wearing more comfy/supportive shoes to help with the healing.
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Just really tender, but no sharp or intense pain now. Just worried the blood might be a sign of something more serious. Thanks guys
  • scottgbell
    scottgbell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd try RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevate - http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/anklesprain_2.htm) for a few days, and if it doesn't start to improve then I'd think seriously about going in to a doctor. I wouldn't do any sort of exercise for at least a week, and then start slow when the pain does finally stop.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I'm the same with doctors, I hate going to see them. It probably is just a sprain, but if you've fractured or broken your foot you'll be better off seeing the doctor. If it heals wrong then you've got a problem for life.

Take it easy :)
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd try RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevate - http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/anklesprain_2.htm) for a few days, and if it doesn't start to improve then I'd think seriously about going in to a doctor. I wouldn't do any sort of exercise for at least a week, and then start slow when the pain does finally stop.
    Thanks Scott! I've been trying to take it as easy as I can with two little ones. I'm sure you know all about that!!!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Ankle sprains will bruise. I had bruises all the way up to my knee from a sprain, and nothing was broken. RICE! All day erry day
  • MotivatedinCalifornia
    MotivatedinCalifornia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In the past when I sprained my ankle the doctor taped my foot to limit movement. It's been awhile so methods might have changed, but I would get it looked at just to have peace of mind. I had dark bruising also, I believe this is normal.