Calorie Burn Question

Options
I am wondering if there is any way that you can determine how many calories that you burn without having to buy an hrm. They are just so expensive and I can't do that right now. Short of just eating my alloted calories and not adding any for exercise back I really don't know what to do.

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Well you could use the MFP exercise calculator, but assume it overestimates and so only eat back 50-75% of those calories?
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Measure your pulse at the end of your cardio session before it goes back to normal (or at beginning, like 10 min into, middle and end then calculate average). Put a hand on your wrist or neck and count how many beats of pulse you feel over minute or 15 sec times 4. That's basically your heart rate per minute. Now you can calculate average amount of cals burned. I got formula saved here cos I used to do this myself.

Formula is: Calories = (0.4472 x Heart rate -- 0.05741 x Your weight + 0.074 x You age -- 20.4022) x Length of exercise in minutes / 4.184

This formula is for females, I assume you are one basing on picture cos you stand there in a middle lol. :D In case I'm wrong and you are male then use this:

Cals = (0.6309 x Heart rate per min + 0.09036 x Weight + 0.2017 x Age -- 55.0969) x Time of exercise in minutes / 4.184.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Measure your pulse at the end of your cardio session before it goes back to normal (or at beginning, like 10 min into, middle and end then calculate average). Put a hand on your wrist or neck and count how many beats of pulse you feel over minute or 15 sec times 4. That's basically your heart rate per minute. Now you can calculate average amount of cals burned. I got formula saved here cos I used to do this myself.

Formula is: Calories = (0.4472 x Heart rate -- 0.05741 x Your weight + 0.074 x You age -- 20.4022) x Length of exercise in minutes / 4.184

This formula is for females, I assume you are one basing on picture cos you stand there in a middle lol. :D In case I'm wrong and you are male then use this:

Cals = (0.6309 x Heart rate per min + 0.09036 x Weight + 0.2017 x Age -- 55.0969) x Time of exercise in minutes / 4.184.

This.

Also just thought I'd add, I'm on a very tight budget and found a Pyle HRM on amazon.com for $26 (free shipping).
  • kezell83
    kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank ya'll so much!!! This will help greatly.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a proper heart rate monitor right now I would suggest just using MFPs numbers. However, only use half of them as I find the numbers can be far too high. They are more accurate if you are honest about how intense you are working out.

You can get some cheaper heart rate monitors though. Amazon.com has some for pretty good prices if you are in the US. Just ensure if/when you get one you get one with a chest strap.