Training like an athlete but results like a couch potato!

Kpablo
Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
Hello All,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and for any comments, questions and advice.

This is my routine.

Starting in late December I've been watching my calorie consumption and what I've eaten. However I got sick and was put on a heavy dose of prescription pain medicine from late February to late March. Starting April 2nd I did a 10 day juicing fast (Joe Cross Reboot with juice ONLY however I averaged about 1700 calories a day). I started at 152 and by April 7th I had plateaued to 144 pounds. However I still continue the fast until April 12th. That day I started training with a personal trainer (He is really good and supportive) I work out with him Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 30 minutes. We change it up but it's normally high intensity circuit training involving weight machines, free weights, and just body weight. Then I walk and jog alternatively (4.0 mph pace and jog and 5.6 mph and 2.0 incline) for 30 minutes. It takes me 30 minutes to do 2.25 miles. Then I go in the gym a few times a week randomly and then I do yoga. This is what my schedule looks like:

Sunday - 20 minutes weights/40 minutes Cardio (we get together with family Sundays and normally play some sport such as volleyball/soccer (I effing hate soccer by the way), football, softball.
Monday - Trainer 30 minutes/Cardio 30 minutes (My bf and I will add 30 minutes extra cardio outside after we put my kid in bed)
Tuesday - REST DAY
Wednesday - Trainer 30 minutes/Cardio 30 minutes (My bf and I will add 30 minutes extra cardio outside after we put my kid in bed)
Thursday - Vinyasa Yoga - (My bf and I will add 30 minutes extra cardio outside after we put my kid in bed)
Friday - Trainer 30 minutes/Cardio 30 minutes (My bf and I will add 30 minutes extra cardio outside after we put my kid in bed)
Saturday - Thursday - Vinyasa Yoga - (My bf and I will add 30 minutes extra cardio outside after we put my kid in bed)

I work a desk job 5 times a week an hour away from home however when I'm not at work and at the gym I'm extremely active. Honestly I don't remember the last time I sat down and watched TV. Oh...AND I have a wild 2.5 year old!

My diet is extremely clean! I'm vegetarian there for no meat (some people as if I eat fish, which is strange to me a fish is an animal...but no I don't eat fish). I eat no sweets nor no artificial sweeteners. I really watch my carbohydrate intake as well, but have realized I need that for energy to have a good work out so it's whole grains and organic brown rice.

I take some pretty good supplements that have been referred to me by friends, trainer, body builders etc.

I take the following daily:

400 mg Raspberry Ketones
500 mg African Mango
300 mg Green Tea Extract
(http://www.thatsupplementguy.com/product-p/pc-betancourt-ketones.htm)

6,000 mg (6g) - Tonalin CLA with Omega 3 and Omega 6
(http://store.ndsnutrition.com/nds-diet-energy/censor/)

5,000 mg L-Glutamine
(http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/glutamine-powder-p-237.html)

Monster Amino which contains the following:
Leucine Peptides (PepForm™) 3,500mg
L-Leucine 3,500mg
L-Isoleucine 500mg
L-Valine 500mg
Citrulline Malate 1,000mg
Typical Amino Acid Profile
L-Alanine 102mg
L-Arginine 28mg
L-Aspartic Acid 249mg
L-Cystine 45mg
L-Glutamine And Precursors 396mg
L-Glycine 31mg
L-Histidine 31mg
L-Isoleucine 633mg
L-Leucine 5,127mg
L-Lysine 182mg
L-Methionine 38mg
L-Phenylalanine 59mg
L-Proline 123mg
L-Serine 95mg
L-Threonine 147mg
L-Tryptophan 42mg
L-Tyrosine 56mg
L-Valine 616mg
(http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/monsteramino.html)

Finally, I take Liptorush.
(http://store.ndsnutrition.com/nds-diet-energy/liporush/)

Oh and I'm also taking Seasonale birth control. I'm on my 4th month of starting the pill and I've been on a freaking period for 3 weeks. I AM SOOOO ANNOYED my body isn't adjusted yet. >:( And really, I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. However I've read countless threads, journals, and research that says that birth control weight gain is not from the birth control itself but the appetite increase. In which case, my appetite has not increased and I have not been eating more.

I took whey a total of 4 times and quite taking it because I gained 3.5 pounds.

If you need my diet journal I've logged pretty consistantly and it's open for y'all to view but if ya'll have any other questions that will help me I certainly don't mind answering. I'm trying extremely hard not to get discouraged but I have lost almost no weight in the last month of kicking my own *kitten* at the gym and the kitchen. I've only lost ONE freaking pound in a month. :( I JUST started taking the glutamine, amino and ketone blend 2 days ago so I'm really hoping that will help me more as well as doing an extra 30 minutes of cardio every day.

Oh, and I weigh as of this morning 143.5 pounds. I'm really trying to get down to 118.

Thanks so much for y'alls help!

-Katie

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    On the weight loss issue...Doing a juice fast is likely to lead to lose a ton of water weight, so if you transitioned into a normal diet afterwards, it's likely your water weight has balanced out. So maybe you lost 4 lbs of fat over time but the scale is only showing 1 due to the water issue. Also, according to your diary you are eating under 1000 calories a day on most days with very little protein. This is not healthy, may be causing additional water retention issues and will most likely be causing you problems. At a min you should be closer to the 1300 calorie goal.

On the topic of your post, Athletes train for multiple hours a day working on the skill of their sport, strength training, speed training, cardio training, agility training, etc. They don't do juice fast either. No trying to be mean or anything but your training program is pretty standard.

You are also taking several useless supplements.

ETA: Wait, wait, wait...misread the post. You have lost 9 lbs in a month (albeit not in the best manner) and you are complaining? I predict many angry people coming your way.
  • Kpablo
    No, I have not lost 9 pounds in a month. It's taken me April 12th to May 9th to lose ONE POUND, that's 3 days less than one month ie 28 days! I lost 6.5 pounds in a 10 day span from juicing and I agree some if not all of it was water weight.

I concur I'm not eating enough, any suggestions of what I can eat that has a higher caloric value please let me know.

And yes, I concur with you I have not been eating enough protein however since I'm vegetarian it's difficult to find a form that isn't high in fat such as nuts and seeds. There for if you have a protein suggestion (besides tofu GROSS) please let me know.

Which supplements do you think are useless?

Thank you very much for your input, however the benign comments such as what athletes do and don't do is such as that, BENIGN and useless. Obviously the title of the thread was a metaphor and not realistic. However Training and hour to hour and half 6-7 days a week is more than most people and should have larger effects on my weight loss than 1 pound in 28 days.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member

ETA: Wait, wait, wait...misread the post. You have lost 9 lbs in a month (albeit not in the best manner) and you are complaining? I predict many angry people coming your way.

This is my prediction too. I got my popcorn.
  • Kpablo
    Ah smart assery at it's finest I suppose. Shame since I NEVER posts on boards, for that very reason.

I surely hope people who chose to take out their POPCORN (which is not healthy :sick: ) get some sort of enjoyment out of someone else's struggle.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    And yes, I concur with you I have not been eating enough protein however since I'm vegetarian it's difficult to find a form that isn't high in fat such as nuts and seeds. There for if you have a protein suggestion (besides tofu GROSS) please let me know.

Eat the fat. Fat doesn't make you fat
  • Kpablo

" am big into human rights/equal rights. I'm a left winger for the most part in politics. I believe that everyone has a right to food, water, healthcare, shelter, love, respect and education regardless of gender, race, religion, beliefs, sexual preference, weight, age, social status or income."

Errrrr..... RESPECT??? Or lack their of?
  • joleenl
    You won't find many if any people here supportive of weight loss pills (ie raspberry ketones and green tea pills) People here are under the philosphy that eat less and move more because a calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight (Which I 100% agree with) People here will give you solid advice. As the following:

1. Find out your TDEE and eat -15% of it because you are within 20 pounds of your goal
    2. Exercise. Which you already do.
    3. Be patient. Weigh loss is slow close to your goal. Like 0.5lb/week slow.
    4. Get your protein
    5. watch your macros. 30/30/40 split is a generic good one.
    6. Measure and log your food consistantly and accurately!
  • Kpablo

Eat the fat. Fat doesn't make you fat

Really? Should I watch the amount at all or eat as much as I need to have my protein intake and the right place? I was told to keep my fat content at 10%. That's like 1 tablespoon of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Olive Oil Spread) :noway:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    First of all, birth control can result in hormone changes which can result in fat storage/weight gain/excess water weight. A person on BC doesn't necessarily gain because of increased intake. And BC like Seasonale can lead to a lot of hormonal changes in the body, as you are basically telling your body not to have normal cycles. That's kind of a big deal.

Second, weight loss isn't linear. You may lose more one month than the next. That's normal - it happens to all of us.

Third, your workout routine is pretty standard. There's nothing wrong with it, but don't think that you should be getting Olympic level results from it either.

Fourth, all of your supplements are useless. The juice fast is also useless. None of these things have been scientifically proven to promote weight loss. You don't need to take them. You don't need to juice fast.

And for my last point - popcorn isn't unhealthy. It's fine in moderation.

Have a good day!

One last point - you need fat in your diet. Fat is good for you. Fat helps your brain and organs function. Fat won't make you fat.
  • joleenl

" am big into human rights/equal rights. I'm a left winger for the most part in politics. I believe that everyone has a right to food, water, healthcare, shelter, love, respect and education regardless of gender, race, religion, beliefs, sexual preference, weight, age, social status or income."

Errrrr..... RESPECT??? Or lack their of?

I didn't disrect you. I just know how the forums work. Just wait and see for yourself.
  • Kpablo
    You won't find many if any people here supportive of weight loss pills (ie raspberry ketones and green tea pills) People here are under the philosphy that eat less and move more because a calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight (Which I 100% agree with) People here will give you solid advice. As the following:

1. Find out your TDEE and eat -15% of it because you are within 20 pounds of your goal
    4. Get your protein

Now, THANK YOU for your advice. This is more what I was looking for.

What is TDEE, and what are you referring to 30/30/40 split. Can you explain this?
  • joleenl
    First of all, birth control can result in hormone changes which can result in fat storage/weight gain/excess water weight. A person on BC doesn't necessarily gain because of increased intake. And BC like Seasonale can lead to a lot of hormonal changes in the body, as you are basically telling your body not to have normal cycles. That's kind of a big deal.

Second, weight loss isn't linear. You may lose more one month than the next. That's normal - it happens to all of us.

Third, your workout routine is pretty standard. There's nothing wrong with it, but don't think that you should be getting Olympic level results from it either.

Fourth, all of your supplements are useless. The juice fast is also useless. None of these things have been scientifically proven to promote weight loss. You don't need to take them. You don't need to juice fast.

And for my last point - popcorn isn't unhealthy. It's fine in moderation.

Have a good day!

One last point - you need fat in your diet. Fat is good for you. Fat helps your brain and organs function. Fat won't make you fat.

^^ This is solid advice.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Okay first off...those supplements. Raspberry ketones, green tea pills and african mango are all a waste of money. You're better off drinking green tea and even then, the benefits of green tea comes when taken in large amounts. Even then the effect is disputable.

I was a religious user of L carnitine, glutamina, and CLA for awhile. Basically, unless you're anemic or lift heavy glutamine will not help you. Most use it for faster muscle recovery, though I've not found that to be the result. I'd check out the latest studies on CLA..they'll basically tell you it's lack of use and even broscience has abandoned it for the most part. If anything, it can help maintain a certain bodyfat rather than give you results.

Basically, all these supplements may have benefits, I'm not denying that. However, they are by no means your ticket to achieving long term weight loss, as there are so many variables. I'd focus more on your nutrition (from actual food) rather than wasting your money.

9 pounds in a month is nothing to laugh at. However, you may be plateauing so it's too soon to tell. I'd change up your workout routine, as your body may be accustomed to the type of activity and intensity. Though I avoid cardio like the plague and just lift, HIIT is always a good cardio option to kickstart things. Also, check your macro's as well, often vegetarians err on the side of carb heavy diets rather than protein and fat.
  • joleenl

4. Get your protein

Now, THANK YOU for your advice. This is more what I was looking for.

What is TDEE, and what are you referring to 30/30/40 split. Can you explain this?

Look up "in place of a road map" in the forums. It is the single most helpful thing in the forums IMO. It'll explain everything.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Really? Should I watch the amount at all or eat as much as I need to have my protein intake and the right place? I was told to keep my fat content at 10%. That's like 1 tablespoon of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Olive Oil Spread) :noway:

whoever told you this is using very old information that has no scientific basis.

Fat doesn't make you fat, you need fat in your diet and it does not hinder weight loss at all.

The only problem with fat is that it has more calories per gram, but if you are tracking calories this isn't a problem because it cant sneak up on you.

If you are getting enough protein, and you are under your calorie goal, it doesn't matter too much where your other macros are. I'm personally doing a low carb diet so my fat intake is about 50% and I'm losing fine.
  • Kpablo
    Okay first off...those supplements. Raspberry ketones, green tea pills and african mango are all a waste of money. You're better off drinking green tea and even then, the benefits of green tea comes when taken in large amounts. Even then the effect is disputable.

I was a religious user of L carnitine, glutamina, and CLA for awhile. Basically, unless you're anemic or lift heavy glutamine will not help you. Most use it for faster muscle recovery, though I've not found that to be the result. I'd check out the latest studies on CLA..they'll basically tell you it's lack of use and even broscience has abandoned it for the most part. If anything, it can help maintain a certain bodyfat rather than give you results.

Basically, all these supplements may have benefits, I'm not denying that. However, they are by no means your ticket to achieving long term weight loss, as there are so many variables. I'd focus more on your nutrition (from actual food) rather than wasting your money.

9 pounds in a month is nothing to laugh at. However, you may be plateauing so it's too soon to tell. I'd change up your workout routine, as your body may be accustomed to the type of activity and intensity. Though I avoid cardio like the plague and just lift, HIIT is always a good cardio option to kickstart things. Also, check your macro's as well, often vegetarians err on the side of carb heavy diets rather than protein and fat.

WOOOO! Thank you!

And yes, I'm taking the amino and glutamine solely for faster muscle restoration NOT for weight loss. I have mild scolisios with a rib that gets dislodged when my muscles become fatigued so I started that to restore my muscles faster to prevent any dislodging. :embarassed:

I do believe I am at a plateau I've been at 143.5 since the 12th of April. I really do limit my carb intake. I am started today to change my workout routine to more cardio. Why do you avoid cardio?
  • joleenl

whoever told you this is using very old information that has no scientific basis.

Fat doesn't make you fat, you need fat in your diet and it does not hinder weight loss at all.

The only problem with fat is that it has more calories per gram, but if you are tracking calories this isn't a problem because it cant sneak up on you.

If you are getting enough protein, and you are under your calorie goal, it doesn't matter too much where your other macros are. I'm personally doing a low carb diet so my fat intake is about 50% and I'm losing fine.

^^ I agree with this comment on the macros. They won't matter too much for weight as long as you are at a calorie deficit.
  • Kpablo

:happy: GREAT!!! Thank you! I've learned that nearly everyone I talk to has a different idea on weight loss. So I'm willing to try what everyone's suggestion until I find the one that works for me.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    No, I have not lost 9 pounds in a month. It's taken me April 12th to May 9th to lose ONE POUND, that's 3 days less than one month ie 28 days! I lost 6.5 pounds in a 10 day span from juicing and I agree some if not all of it was water weight.

I concur I'm not eating enough, any suggestions of what I can eat that has a higher caloric value please let me know.

Which supplements do you think are useless?

Thank you very much for your input, however the benign comments such as what athletes do and don't do is such as that, BENIGN and useless. Obviously the title of the thread was a metaphor and not realistic. However Training and hour to hour and half 6-7 days a week is more than most people.

In regards to the athlete comment, was a little tongue and cheek and not relevant to the topic. I apologize. And I agree you have a pretty good routine for the average joe/jane looking to get in shape.

For the weight loss, think about it. In 10 days you lost 6.5 pounds. Lets say 2 pounds of that was fat loss and the rest was water weight and/or lack of food stuffs in your digestive system. When you start eating solid food again all that stuff starts to normalize. If you hadn't lost any additional fat you would be up around the 150 mark. But you aren't. What likely occured over the past month is a counter balance of fat being burned and water/digestive levels returning to normal.

What I would be concerned about is your very low calorie diet (VLCD) and lack of protein might lead to muscle loss which could make your final goal not give you the desired results.

As far what foods to eat, I am not a vegetarian so I'm not the best resource. Join the group eat, train, progress. The female founder is a vegetarian and got into fantastic shape. She can probably give you better advice than I. Oh and she'll probably tell you to eat ice cream. For the protein part, whey is going to be your best bet and any scale weight that you gained is nothing to worry about as long as you eating at a calorie deficit. Your goal is fat loss, not weight loss. Fluctuations in weight will occur but over time will be on a downward trend. You might wake tommorow and weigh 140. Doesn't mean you lost 3 lbs today, just that your body expelled some water retention/digestive stuff that has been masking fat loss.

To the supplements, for your goal of weight loss, all of them are useless. Calorie Deficit + Time is all you need.

For general health and well being, they are probably not accomplishing anything that a balanced diet with maybe a one a day multivitamin designed for women couldn't do.

Good Luck and check out that group.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    I think you are maybe overcomplicating things at the moment as you are trying to do everything you can to lose. Totally support that attitude but would recommend going back to basics.

Look at your TDEE, (the amount of energy you expend each day including your exercise) take 20% of that number and eat that much. Any supplements you take for health reasons or due to being vegetarian keep taking, any others, just save your money.

Due to the calories you will need to be eating you will have space for some good fats, nuts, seeds, oils etc within your calorie count.

Also remember that the type of workout you do will not effect your weight loss, only the amount of calories you burn. You can do different exercise for health benefits, muscle gain etc etc but the calories burned is the only bit that matters for actually taking the weight off.