Should I lower my food calorie intake back to 1200?

I started eating at 1500 since monday and all it's done is make me gain -___-

I'm 5'3 21years old

I try to work out at least 6 times a week / do workouts at home also / kettlebell etc.

I raised it because people told me 1,200 was eating too little so then, I was like maybe that's why I'm not losing anymore weight

and NO I don't drink 8 cups of water , I try but doesn't happen

Replies

• upperleft
    upperleft Posts: 2
    Well, first we need more information.
    For starters, Whats your height and weight, and activity level?
    What is your macro split on your diet, and where did the extra 300 calories come from?
    Have you been keeping up your water intake?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

If you're switching to the TDEE - 20% method, I've read that a lot of people see a small gain the first two weeks or so, but after that the weight comes back off. To see the full affects though you really need to wait 4-6 weeks. You've only given it a few days, and could easily be retaining water or just close to your TOM.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    You have to give it longer than 4 days.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    How much did you gain?

If you didn't increase them slowly you are likely to see a big fluctuation up. I'd give it two weeks before you quit.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member

I'm 5'3 21years old

I try to work out at least 6 times a week / do workouts at home also / kettlebell etc.

I raised it because people told me 1,200 was eating too little so then, I was like maybe that's why I'm not losing anymore weight

You have to give it a least a month.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Without knowing your stats, goals, and activity level, it's impossible to know what your appropriate daily calorie goal/deficit should be. However, what I DO know is that 3 days is NEVER enough to know whether a calorie goal is working for you. Most people can easily fluctuate up to 5 pounds of just water from morning to night or from day to day. You need to give an approach several weeks before you can judge whether or not it's working, not a few days.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member

If you're switching to the TDEE - 20% method, I've read that a lot of people see a small gain the first two weeks or so, but after that the weight comes back off. To see the full affects though you really need to wait 4-6 weeks. You've only given it a few days, and could easily be retaining water or just close to your TOM.

Uhhh this. How about giving it more time? I'd say 6 weeks.

Also, you should really understand what you are doing and why. These are some good starting points:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

ETA: You may need to make slight adjustments to your calories up or down after the 6 weeks have passed to find your sweet spot. Keep in mind that your body is adjusting to the fact it has fuel now as opposed to before.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    You have to give it longer than 4 days.

THIS!! 4 days isn't nearly long enough to decide something isn't working.
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    It's pretty normal to initially gain weight after upping calories, but like everyone said you have to give it more time. 6 weeks is the standard amount to give when you're switching up your calorie goals. But even more than that, weighing yourself after 3 days will do no good at all. That could just be water weight or fecal matter or too much sodium hanging around. 3 days isn't long enough to weight normally, yet alone when you're switching things up on your body. Just give it some time and trust your body to know what it's doing :)
  • jondyalec1
    jondyalec1 Posts: 21
    Give it about 2 weeks, It could be water weight!