Bad dog...

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Can I ask ask why you have a high energy breed/dog if does not fit with your life style or apartment living situation?

We adopted a pit because it was what we wanted.

There are plenty of breeds I WANT but I won't get because they don't fit my household or lifestyle. This seems very unfair to the dog.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    hes bored it sounds like.....my dog is only about 5months old....i believe hes a german shepherd mix(he was dropped of as a puppy in a box in a friends driveway) he needs atleast and hour of non stop running
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    You can't leave a young dog (he's basically a teenager) without exercise and expect him not to chew. Doesn't matter that it's raining, the dog needs exercise! Put your coat on and get out there! He needs to be walked for 45-60 mins in the morning and evening if you are going to leave him for eight hours a day. Chewing is a stress reliever for dogs, he's not doing it to be naughty. He's either stressed from no exercise or stressed because something has scared him or he thinks you are not coming home.
  • javajinny
    javajinny Posts: 78
    We crated our pit until she was about a year and half; she's roamed the house freely for the last 8 years (I know they are technically adults at 1, but it's surprising the amount of maturity that happens with the higher energy breeds in months 12 -18). The only time we've had incidents with her is when the weather's been bad. She is a BIG BABY about the weather and will destroy things then. You mentioned the weatehr was a bit messy so that could be a problem. We put her in our bedroom, she stays on our bed, if the news report calls for messy weather. The smell of us and "saftey" of the bed (that's our snuggle place) keep her calm and we don't have any issues then.

You can never go wrong with extra love and extra activity with pits. It's funny what little love monkeys they are for how "vicious" they're made out to be.Good luck!
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    We had to un crate train our dogs too and ran into similar problems. They would be fine for days, weeks, then destroy everything.

I set up a camera to see what was going on. They just did it out of boredom.

Finally I made sure that before I left them they were nice and tired. So now when we leave, if we leave them out, they take forty minutes on the treadmill before we go.
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    He's not a bad dog, He's probably bored. Do you have a neighbor or relative that can take him during the day or just visit and take him for a long walk? Is there any way you can put him outside on a relatively long leash?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    30 minutes a day exercise is not enough, especially if there is no yard for him to run around. He should really have at least an hour and a half each day imo.

I agree - he doesn't seem like he's getting exercise or stimulation. His breed needs activity and shouldn't be in a crate all day - it will create destructive behavior problems. Can you hire a dog walker to walk him mid day?
    Can I ask ask why you have a high energy breed/dog if does not fit with your life style or apartment living situation?
    My parents mini doxies get more walks than that. For a larger dog that isn't nearly enough. I agree with the posters quoted. My pooch (see profile pic) has a backyard to play in and gets walked twice a day. 45 minutes to an hour each, plus the dog park sometimes as well. Weekends we hike the heck out of him. Anything else and he would get bored and destroy my house.
  • javajinny
    javajinny Posts: 78
    Oh, and to help with your car sickness issue: our little one was like, got car sick super easy. Pepto. Really, it works. She's 10 pounds so we gave her half a dose before we left and another after three hours, and she does great. Been doing it for 5 years. Ask you vet: Pepto, in the right doses, is safe for dogs. If your pit is like mine and about 50 - 60 pounds, he could take a whole dose every few hours and that should fix him right up. Good luck!!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Regardless morguebabe, this is the breed I have and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't feel that I am being unfair to him.... I rescued him and I'm trying to give him the best life I can with a loving family. I don't want to leave him in a crate all day. That is exactly why I was trying to start a new routine, and it worked for a little while. I don't have all the answers, so I decided to ask for advice from others who have experienced this because I want to do the right things. I want him to be happy and physically satisfied. But I didn't ask the question to hear opinions on my breed choice.

Sue- We do confine him to one room. And we actually have a nylabone and a kong toy, the one that you put treats in that they have to figure out how to remove the treats, which is his favorite. Thanks for the bitter apple suggestion- we currently use diluted white vinegar in a spray bottle for this type of situation.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Do you keep the windows closed when you drive? We found that cracking a window helped a lot with his car sickness (as did age thankfully but he still loses his kibble after an hour or so).

Do you run? Could you swap some of your gym time out for a run with your pup? I'm hoping to start with mine now that he's a little older. When he was younger, he needed to constantly have his head on my leg whether I was standing, sitting or walking so he'd trip me all the time.

You can also put all his food into a food toy (we used the kong wobbler) so he has to work for it and move around to eat. That's something that's easy to do while you're making dinner or doing other stuff too.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    Oh, and to help with your car sickness issue: our little one was like, got car sick super easy. Pepto. Really, it works. She's 10 pounds so we gave her half a dose before we left and another after three hours, and she does great. Been doing it for 5 years. Ask you vet: Pepto, in the right doses, is safe for dogs. If your pit is like mine and about 50 - 60 pounds, he could take a whole dose every few hours and that should fix him right up. Good luck!!

Yes, he is about 55 pounds. It helps if he has an empty stomach and he doesnt always get sick, but the shorter the trip the better. Our vet prescribes him a motion sickness medication but again its not cheap and not something (as far as I know) that is good to use every day. I will try the pepto though, that sounds like a great alternative, thank you!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Also...try the bitter apple spray in a low risk situation first. Turns out our pittie is weird and likes it. Then again, he doesn't like peanut butter so he's just a strange one.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    Do you keep the windows closed when you drive? We found that cracking a window helped a lot with his car sickness (as did age thankfully but he still loses his kibble after an hour or so).

Do you run? Could you swap some of your gym time out for a run with your pup? I'm hoping to start with mine now that he's a little older. When he was younger, he needed to constantly have his head on my leg whether I was standing, sitting or walking so he'd trip me all the time.

You can also put all his food into a food toy (we used the kong wobbler) so he has to work for it and move around to eat. That's something that's easy to do while you're making dinner or doing other stuff too.

Yes---window is cracked I did find that that helped his sickness. We do run together occasionally, but he doesn't always keep up with me. He's definitely stubborn, he doesn't do anything he doesn't want to do.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member

There are plenty of breeds I WANT but I won't get because they don't fit my household or lifestyle. This seems very unfair to the dog.

I used to say that until someone pointed out that breeds like Pitts have low adoption rates and are often put down. IT's more fair than death.

To the OP: My pitt mix LOVES her deer antler and they don't splinter so they aren't a choking hazard. I would recommend something like that as well as increased exercise. Maybe take up running with your dog. IT's a great way to get out extra energy.
    Edit: I see you do run with him. Have you tried a head harness? My girl is stubborn and it helps control her without a choke chain.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Regardless morguebabe, this is the breed I have and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't feel that I am being unfair to him.... I rescued him and I'm trying to give him the best life I can with a loving family. I don't want to leave him in a crate all day. That is exactly why I was trying to start a new routine, and it worked for a little while. I don't have all the answers, so I decided to ask for advice from others who have experienced this because I want to do the right things. I want him to be happy and physically satisfied. But I didn't ask the question to hear opinions on my breed choice.

Sue- We do confine him to one room. And we actually have a nylabone and a kong toy, the one that you put treats in that they have to figure out how to remove the treats, which is his favorite. Thanks for the bitter apple suggestion- we currently use diluted white vinegar in a spray bottle for this type of situation.

I know it seems unfair to him to be crated, but I really don't think it is. We have an American Bulldog and he stays in his crate when we are at work. As soon as he knows it's almost time for me to leave for work, he gets in it himself. One time I didn't close it all the way and he still slept in there, it's his safe place.

Your dog is not bad, he's bored. I hate to say it, but they are smart, he will get bored, and he will probably chew something up once in a while if left to his own devices. It is your responsibility to make sure he's safe while you are gone, and you are doing that with him in his crate. You can exercise him when you are home.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Just a thought for exercise. I don't know how your pup feels about water. i have 3 Lab mixes (all rescues) that love it. In the winter months when they don't get enough exercise I found a Doggy Aquatic Center by me. I try to take them every other week. It's something like 15 minutes of swimming for a dog is like running for 2 miles. Not sure on the exactness but I know when I get mine home they sleep for 3 days!
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    my three are really good, no chewing or damage as long as they get lots and LOTS of exercise, minimum hour walk for all three and an additional run for our youngest (lab / Aussie shepherd) . my oldest is a pit-weiler and when he was young he needed a few sessions of 3-4 hours of hiking each week and a daily walk the rest of the week. Frozen kongs with peanut butter and dog food help too.

I also have a bike-tow-leash (from some guy in florida) to tire my youngest our when I can't run.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Something else that works for car sickness is having a lot of bedding underneath the dog so he doesn't feel the vibrations/ motion so much. We have an old duvet in the back of the car for our dogs, but an old sleeping bag would do the trick.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    We have a grey hound mix and a choc lab, both resuces and i've had several Pits. One of my rescues chews because she gets seperation anxiety if you leave her out of the kennel. Its her safe place! We just make sure that both my girls get LOADS of playtime afterward. They are BOTH high energy dogs. Kenneling your dog isn't a bad thing, its a responsible thing to keep them safe. Both dogs are also kenneled every night too. With our pits we focused on keeping the tired. We used to take the last one to the park and just make her run nonstop playig fetch until she layed down and wouldn't bring back the ball. You need to play more with him. Loved my Pits and I love my rescues!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Dont feel guilty about leaving him in the crate. He knows what to expect and he cant entertain himself on your blinds. If you like having a non-chewed house then into the crate he goes. Just make sure he is exercised.

Exercised means he is passed out on the floor with his tongue hanging out. I know I have well behaved, exercised doggies when after a big drink of water they pass out on the floor.