Have you found success with the Couch to 5k app?

Options

Replies

• DFineMrsRicks
    DFineMrsRicks Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love your response. I am on week 2.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the actual app, but I followed the program on their website and I loved it. I've never been a runner either (and if I'm being totally honest, I still don't really love running), but the program made it bearable. When I first started I could barely jog for 1 minute at a time, now I can run 20-30 minutes with no problem. I have done two 5Ks since completing the program and they've both been a blast :)
  • weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love it. I'm on Week 5 and I've already been bitten by the running bug. I have never been a runner, and never enjoyed exercise but I finally feel like I've found something I enjoy and it's changed how my body looks a lot even in these 5 weeks. I feel fitter, I have more energy, and even though this sounds kinda lame, I'm proud of myself for doing it! Also as a result I'm eating better because I want to be able to fuel my runs, and I'm getting more interested in other exercise like yoga and pilates because I want to be able to be the best runner I can :)

So yes...it's awesome!
  • jrback
    jrback Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started week 8 yesterday! Minnesota weather is so unpredictable that there have been some weeks I had to do on the treadmill (Like snow storms in April). Running gets easier the farther along you get. Good luck!
  • JaimeCST
    JaimeCST Posts: 118
    Options
    I just completed the C25K program this weekend and absolutely loved it. It made a world of difference for me because I actually stuck with it. I didn't try to overdo it at all and was able to enjoy it. I look forward to my runs now. I am working on the 10K app next and am running my first 5K on June 1st. I also did the 30 day shred at the same time and it seems to be working well for me. Good luck!
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love the C25K. I have never finished it (because I become lazy and unmotivated) but last year I signed up for a 5K and only had a month to train. I trained with the C25K and was able to run the first 2 miles (which was insane for me because I had tried to run before and was never really even able to run half a mile!) and run/walk the last bit. After a winter of eating poorly I've restarted it again and am looking forward to the results. A word of advice- when the weeks get harder, there is nothing wrong with repeating a week until you're comfortable with it AND when you feel like you need to stop and can't go any father, slow down. Work first on running for a certain amount of time and then work on your speed. :)
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have completed c25k. The first week was AWFUL because 1. i thought i was gunna die and 2. i had crap trainers. Before you start get proper running shoes, i cannot express the importance of this as i got shin splints because of my crap ones. When i bought new proper ones at a running shop i have not had shin splints since. Running is like a drug when you get into it, its so addictive, its you time where you blast your music, fill your lungs with fresh air and clear your head.

Its difficult at first but the beauty of it is you can repeat weeks if needed. Stick at it and good luck xx
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Im in the Atlanta area too! Totally Running has two stores one in Woodstock and one in Cumming! They will watch you run and get the right pair of shoes for you! I graduated C25k and now doing the the bridge to 10k! My first 4.5 trail run is next weekend! Been running since 2011 with c25k!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It worked great for me. I started running about a year ago using the C25k app. Now I run several times a week. Three miles when I'm short on time. Five miles or more when I have more time. i'm not big into races, but I like knowing that, if I want to, I can go run 5-6 miles, just for the fun of it.

I cant wait until this is me!!!!
  • caitlinp51
    Options
    My husband and I have just started it. Before starting, I thought I would die in the first workout. I completed the 1st workout with jello-y legs walking back to my car from the gym. We're doing 4 workouts/week instead of 3. The next 2 workouts of week 1 I was able to complete surprisingly easily without wanting to die. I've always envied the people that enjoy running and do it for fun, but I am oddly looking forward to working out now. I am still skeptical about the next few weeks and having to run a few minutes at a time, but I am excited to see how it goes. I also love the myfitnesspal app to help me watch calories and nutrition.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I really liked the app a lot. I used it until I fractured my heel :(
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The plan is good, I've had problems with the app though so I use RunKeeper to track distance/time instead. Plus RunKeeper lets you track other activities like walking or cycling.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    hated couch to 5k, glitchy, didnt give verbal prompts consistently, but loved zombie5k , fun, reliable, and incorporated different things to keep it interesting, like squats and high kicks. started it at 200 pounds, now i run about 6 miles every other day.
  • Armillata
    Armillata Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K app to train for my first (and then my second, because I let myself backslide) 5ks, and I loved the program. It made doing something that I honestly believed to be impossible for me manageable. But, I definitely recommend starting good habits early, like pre-run stretches and having the right shoes. I didn't, because at first, I didn't think I'd need to warm up for short run/walk intervals, and while I did finish a 5K, I was in lots of pain throughout the program. Everything hurt all the time.

The second time I trained, I took advice from a runner friend, started a very simple kinetic stretching routine, saw a podiatrist and got inserts for my flat feet, and invested in proper shoes. It made a world of difference. No more pain! I'm up to about seven miles now for a long run, and I'm hoping maybe this year I'll do a half marathon.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I started it back around November 2012. I finished it around April 2013 (took a break in December). I can run 5K in around 28 minutes now. I usually do a run on Fridays or on the weekend.
  • inspirezme
    inspirezme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I swear by it! I started the program in October and ran my first 5K on my 'graduation day' in December. And I finished it without walking, despite it being around 30F and snowing the whole time! Since then I have run 2 more, the 2nd of which I placed 3rd in my age group.

I should preface this saying that I have NEVER been a runner. I am 33 and anytime I have ever tried, it would aggrevate my scoliosis/herniated disc/sciatica or whatever causes my back to hurt way too often, so I'd quit. After starting with C25K, I realized that the problem with my previous attempts was that I was trying to do too much, too fast. It was almost like I needed to prove that I wasn't *really* out of shape by trying to run as far as I could as soon as I hit the pavement - even if it had been years since the last time I exercized. But the little-by-little approach really worked for me, and I was able to accomplish every workout as described throughout the program.

I highly recommend maintaining the 3-day/week plan. It really helps you maintain your ability to complete the next increase in duration. I would also recommend investing in a very good pair of shoes. I had my stride analyzed before I ever got started because I didn't want to injure myself, and wanted the most comfortable experience possible. Not to mention my favorite part -- buying all of the cute new running clothes that not only make me want to put them on, but make me excited to run.

And now, I guess I can say that I am a runner :) I recently started running with a group and have registered for my first half marathon at the end of April. I would have never believed you if you told me 6 months ago that I would be aiming for this. It's such an amazing feeling and I wish you all the best of luck!
  • ripzone13
    ripzone13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel,

I just finished C25K yesterday and since you asked for it, I will impart my "wealth of knowledge" on to you. haha. Just kidding, I am far from an expert, but here is what I have found.

1)You don't need to be in great shape to get started. I could barely run a minute at the start and now I can run over 3 miles in 33 minutes.

2) The right shoes are an invaluable resource. Seriously, get fitted for the right running shoes for you. I promise you, shin splints and foot pain are not worth saving a few dollars.

3)The right music is key. I used JogFm to find some songs I hadn't thought about and downloaded a whole playlist of about 60 songs that really keep me motivated.

4)the first few weeks are hell. Everyday you will try to think of excuses not to do it, but if you tell yourself, I will just go do one interval and then come back, you will wind up doing the whole thing and feeling so much better about yourself.

5)After the first 4-5 weeks you have built up the stamina and endurance and it becomes a head game. Each week will look "too hard" and you will think, how could I possibly jump from 10 minutes running, to 15 minutes (or whatever) and each week you will surprise yoruself. If you think you can, you will.

6)My biggest suggestion is that you run outside. Running on a treadmill is wholly different than running outside. Not only will you get the benefits of fresh air and changes of scenery to distract you, your body will also get used to the rolling hills that you are likely to see in your races.

7) Running when its raining is so much fun. Its like being a little kid in a sprinkler! Embrace the rain! (and put newspaper in your shoes to dry them out...never the dryer!)

8) Smile. Take a second now and then during even the most difficult stages of your run to smile. Think about all the good you are doing for you, and how far you have come. I swear that smile makes the run just a bit easier.

Good Luck. You will do great!

~Cat

I love this! Thank you for posting. I just finished week 5 day 3 (ran my first 20 minutes straight) today! All of this is excellent adivce. To I think it's an awesome program. Good luck OP- if I can do this, you can too! =)
  • all4rescue
    all4rescue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have started using the Couch-to-5k app by Active. I like that I can use my own music with it but no matter how low I have my music I can't hear the instructor telling me when to walk/jog. I have the instructor voice turned up all the way. Sometimes I can hear a pause in my music when when it is time to switch. Any suggestions on how to fix this or is there a better app out there? I have the new ipod. Thanks! Lana
  • pluto2626
    pluto2626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, however for running outside I prefer the 'rundouble' app. I like that it tells me my distance and also tracks my previous runs so I can see how much I am improving.

Happy trails! :)
  • Sinyo254
    Sinyo254 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have started using the Couch-to-5k app by Active. I like that I can use my own music with it but no matter how low I have my music I can't hear the instructor telling me when to walk/jog. I have the instructor voice turned up all the way. Sometimes I can hear a pause in my music when when it is time to switch. Any suggestions on how to fix this or is there a better app out there? I have the new ipod. Thanks! Lana

Hey there, i am about to start week 4 day 1 and i am using 10k runner by skylabs and its amazingly simple although it does not have gps so i use runkeeper to track my distance and they work perfectly together. The build up of the runs from week to week is easy to follow and progresses you at the perfect pace.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!