How much veggies is TOO MUCH veggies!?!?!

Options
Hello Everyone,

Is there a such thing as too much veggies to eat in a day? I'm eating lunch and most of my plate is steamed broccoli with 4oz of salmon and half baked sweet potato. That's good right? Basically, is there anything wrong with having a big salad with roman lettuce and spinach, tomatoes and all that other stuff? I just need to be clear on this.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I say you can never get enough veggies. But then again, I love veggies and have had many days where I didn't get all my protein in because all I had eaten is veggies.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Go veggie crazy. For potatoes, they are denser calorically but you can still have them within your calories. Sweet potatoes rock ;).

I think people mess up their salads when they have too much cheese or dressing or croutons or chicken and don't measure those items out. As long as you are, enjoy that big divine salad!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Not for me ...
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Eat tons of leafy greens---high nutrient foods will make you less hungry! And the calories are so low, and you're so full, it's a win-win....just watch the salad dressing--I dip my fork into a little cup of it before I take a bite...:smile:
  • MrsNgounda
    MrsNgounda Posts: 49
    Options
    That's exactly what I thought......Thanks everyone!!!!
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Eat tons of leafy greens---high nutrient foods will make you less hungry! And the calories are so low, and you're so full, it's a win-win....just watch the salad dressing--I dip my fork into a little cup of it before I take a bite...:smile:

I once added up the calories of a friend's daily salad because I noticed how much dressing/cheese she was eating. It came out to about 700 calories! 0_o Of course, I told her that and she promptly switched back to hamburgers. oops. The veggies definitely aren't the problem; it's all that extra stuff. Don't drown your food!

As long as you are hitting an adequate calorie count with the right amounts of protein/fat/carbs, you are good to go!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too many veggies

EDIT: yes it is what you put on said veggies that could be a problem...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You probably could overdose on certain vitamins, but the amount of veggies you'd have to eat to do so would be far beyond what you're taking about here. In other words, eat up!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Is there a limit?

I think if it fits in my daily goals (calories/macros) I'd be fine to eat as much veggies as I please.
    You can too!

:happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to eat too many veggies, especially if it prevents you from eating other things you need to eat in order to stay alive.

There are also certain micronutrients that you can overdo. For example, some vegetables have high levels of oxalates, which are a concern for people susceptible to kidney problems:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48

I am not trying to talk anyone out of eating vegetables, but moderation is wise in all things, including veg consumption. Eat a balanced diet that includes a variety of foods, and you'll be fine.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Only if you eat so many that they crowd out fat and protein.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Is there a such thing as too much veggies to eat in a day? I'm eating lunch and most of my plate is steamed broccoli with 4oz of salmon and half baked sweet potato. That's good right? Basically, is there anything wrong with having a big salad with roman lettuce and spinach, tomatoes and all that other stuff? I just need to be clear on this.

Thanks!!

The ONLY time I would say its "too much" is if you're eating a veggie that is high in carbs. Carrots are known for this. Eating too many will not only kill your carb count..they will make you orange in the skin...

Also...Lettuce has hidden sugars..watch out for that!
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks!!

Is this a real question??

NO!! It's really probably not possible for you to even intake enough volume to OD on veggies. I read the book Eat to Live which is fascinating and advocates a plant based, nutrient rich lifestyle. Dr. Furhman recommends aiming for ONE POUND raw veggies and ONE POUND cookies veggies A DAY. Let me tell you, I tried this and it's HARD TO DO just because it's a huge volume of food. But you will feel more and more amazing the more you up your intake of veggies, especially your raw greens.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Imagine your plate. Divide it in quarters. One quarter should contain your protein food. One quarter should contain your starchy food (that would include potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, or starchy beans as well as rice pasta bread, etc.) The remaining half should be non-starchy veggies.

Salads of leafy greens are a bonus, but remember that salad can hide a lot of calories with add ons like nuts, seeds, crutons, cheese, bacon bits, dressings, legumes like chickpeas... you get the idea. These add ons are not bad for you, per se, but you have to remember the calories in them...

The meal you described sounds just about right. It is really hard to eat too many veggies.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You probably could overdose on certain vitamins, but the amount of veggies you'd have to eat to do so would be far beyond what you're taking about here. In other words, eat up!

Indeed. Fat-soluble vitamins such as Vit. A need to be consumed with some sort of lipid in order to do your body any good, and they will cause problems if you eat too much of them. Eating too many carrots can turn you yellow :) (for real)
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you find the one person in the history of mankind who got fat and sick and wrecked their fitness and health from eating too many vegetables.... please let the scientists know as they will want to study this creature! :laugh:

(Seriously, the number of threads on this site questioning the age-old wisdom of eating lots of fruits and vegetables... is making my head hurt.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks!!

The ONLY time I would say its "too much" is if you're eating a veggie that is high in carbs. Carrots are known for this. Eating too many will not only kill your carb count..they will make you orange in the skin...

Also...Lettuce has hidden sugars..watch out for that!
    What and what. 1 cup of carrots has 12 carbs and 1/4 lb of romaine has 1 g of sugar........kinda weird you picked those as bad examples when..................
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Too much veggies = when you eat enough to put you into a caloric surplus.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If I had to, I could completely live on just veggies and not complain (much). But I'm not vegetarian so I do eat meat and all the other food groups. That said, I don't think you can over do it on veggies as long as you're eating within your calorie allotment.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    There's always a limit for everything. If you eat a few trillion bananas, you'll die of radiation poisoning. (Of course, potassium overdose will kill you first.)

Eating some steamed veggies and a salad will not kill you. Eat up.