One more reason to love bacon

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
A 105-year-old Texas woman who worked a life of physical labor and mothered seven children revealed the secret to her longevity: bacon.

"I love bacon, I eat it everyday," Pearl Cantrell told NBC affiliate KRBC when asked the secret to living so long. "I don't feel as old as I am, that's all I can say," Cantrell added.

Cantrell, who lives in central Texas and still dances, also told KRBC that her 105th birthday party was a three-day affair with more than 200 guests.

When Oscar Mayer found out about Cantrell's love of bacon, it sent one of its iconic Wienermobiles to make a bacon delivery to Cantrell's home. (You can watch video of Cantrell riding around her Texas town in the Wienermobile on local CBS affiliate KHOU.)

There's been some research to back up Cantrell's claim about the health benefits of bacon. A University of Zurich study published by the journal BMC Medicine in March found that eating little or no red meat can be a risk factor for early death. However, the same study found that eating too much bacon increases the risk of bowel cancer. (The study analyzed the diets of more than 400,000 people between the ages of 35 and 69.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/07/pearl-cantrell-bacon-105-year-old_n_3230095.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Replies

• mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not that any of us really needed another reason. :drinker: :love: :laugh:
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO BACON!!! :love: :love:
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    bump
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    She stole my smart-aleck comeback to people who don't want to hear that diet and exercise are the secrets to weight loss.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    :love: BACON!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    |
    |
    \/
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A University of Zurich study published by the journal BMC Medicine in March found that eating little or no red meat can be a risk factor for early death.

Oh goodness. Better buy myself a burial plot since I'm a vegetarian and haven't had red meat in 10 years. ;) (No one yell at me I'm joking. lol)

On a side note::

I heard that bacon cures cancer but did you know salad causes it?

f7145fbc.gif
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What I get from the story and the study they did is - one thing or another is going to kill you - eat what you love!!
    Bacon bacon bacon bacon!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hmm, "Woman Leads Active Life and Lives Long (Despite Eating Bacon)" seems a far cry from "Bacon Will Make You Live Long" to me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I heard that bacon cures cancer but did you know salad causes it?

Since "salad" could include or exclude any food, how could it be linked to any health factors.
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I swear by bacon and eat almost EVERY SINGLE DAY. I buy the lower sodium bacon with no sugar added. I went to my annual physical and my doctor said that my blood work came with nearly perfect levels of cholesterol and perfect blood pressure. So, to say the least, the proof is in the bacon. :wink: