Anyone use My Fitness Coach for Wii?

Options
melodyg
melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
I just tried this again for the first time in a while... was wondering if anyone has an idea if their calories burned seems accurate. I put in the basics of what I did (10 minutes cardio, 20 of strength training/stretches -- lunges, crunches, calf raises). MFC says I burned 134 calories and MFP says 180-something. I went with the 180 since I'm about to go to bed and not eat any more anyway, but am curious what everyone else's experiences are with this!

One huge reason I am wondering is that I am REALLY out of shape anyway so I couldn't keep up with the workout. I certainly don't want to claim more calories than I burned because it is almost impossible for me to lose weight anyway (insulin resistance, ugh!)

Those who have used it for a longer period of time than the week or so I usually give it :)... what is your opinion overall? Especially if you started out really overweight and out of shape? Is it going to be helpful in the long run or should I just stick to walking? I was about to give up at 15 minutes of cardio... fortunately it switched to other exercises at that point for a lower body workout! :)

Replies

• Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    I run a lot and use mapmyrun.com to log the miles . . . I get a different reading over there than this site, typically a bit lower in the calories burned department . . . I always go with the lower number or pick a middle number, whichever. On long runs (8 miles) it can be off as much as 200 calories.

I don't know if that helped but that has been my experience.
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't do Wii, but I just want to say that in your place, I'd stick to the fact of exercising itself. I know 180 calories is maybe not something huge, but if you don't focus on calories that much and put more emphasis on just moving and burning calories each day, that will be a big progress! :flowerforyou: Also, this way not only the exercise, but the nutrition becomes very important--focus on clean eating calories and you'll do great.

As for walking vs. Wii, I would add as many activities as I ENJOY to burn those calories. Variety is what keeps us more motivated and we're not stuck in a rut (the same exercise, the same music, the same walking/running route, etc.). Switch the things up a bit, and you will definitely get better at Wii too! Another thing-- a variety of exercises help us improve the different fitness qualities such as muscle strength, growth, stamina, cardiovascular endurance, etc. Some are good workouts for legs, while the other tone the entire body and so on. :happy: All of them burn the calories, but don't focus on the particular number too much!

If you do a moderately light exercise, then simply set your food calories to the point where you would lose weight without the exercise anyways and be assured you will lose weight. It's better to be slightly under your caloric intake than to overestimate the burned calories and to be stuck in the same place. :smile:

I hope this is helpful! :wink:
  • Mandee_N
    Mandee_N Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey Melody!! :):) I don't use My Fitness Coach, but I use Wii Fit. I have noticed that 9 times out of 10, I will have to fudge the number of minutes I've done to reach the calories the Wii says I've burned.