Artichokes

Options
brower47
brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
I LOVE EM!

That said, they confuse me as far as inputing them in my diary. If I want to enter them by weight (my normal method), should I weigh it after I cook it and then reweigh the uneaten portion of the leaves, subtracting the second number from the first since you only eat a little bit of it?

I'm sure I'm over thinking this since the aren't calorie heavy anyway but what do you think? I steam them if that makes any difference.

Replies

• Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Try this: Artichokes (globe or french) - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt - according tot he database, it's only 60 calories fan a medium artichoke
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Try this: Artichokes (globe or french) - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt - according to the database, it's only 60 calories fan a medium artichoke
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I usually weight before I could anything just for the sake of convenience. I'm not sure what would be better, though.

I did come in here to echo that I absolutely love artichokes as well. I love them in sandwiches and pizza, mainly, but anything else is good too.
  • brower47
    Options
    Try this: Artichokes (globe or french) - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt - according to the database, it's only 60 calories fan a medium artichoke

That's what I've been doing. I'm mainly interested in what that constitutes. Are the counting the entire thing or just the edible bits (on average). These little flowers are a tough one to pin down because size is a HUGE factor. I used to grow them in Cali and picked them when the were small and could basically eat the whole leaf but these big ones you buy in grocery stores are so big and tough that even after an hour of steaming, you can only eat a bit at the bottom of each leaf.

I know I'm getting too into this but I was just curious if anyone else had ever figured this out.
  • brower47
    Options
    Hmm, I usually weight before I could anything just for the sake of convenience. I'm not sure what would be better, though.

I did come in here to echo that I absolutely love artichokes as well. I love them in sandwiches and pizza, mainly, but anything else is good too.

They are my favorite veggie and I usually eat them as is after steaming.

I think we are fairly rare in that though. :drinker:
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yeah YUM yum!! Anyone have any ideas of things to dip the leaves in besides my go-to dips of butter or mayo? :D
  • brower47
    Options
    Yeah YUM yum!! Anyone have any ideas of things to dip the leaves in besides my go-to dips of butter or mayo? :D

If you have the time, fresh hollandaise sauce.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

They are my favorite veggie and I usually eat them as is after steaming.

I think we are fairly rare in that though. :drinker:

Perhaps. I love brussel sprouts too. xD