Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I prefer cookies and milk before bed.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    think about it this way: if you are looking to build muscle, you are eating at a surplus, which for bigger guys means eating all day. my personal maintenance level is ~3700 calories, so when i build, i eat every hour of the day. when you go to bed, your body is left without food for ~8 hours.

Casein actually thickens in your stomach and takes longer to digest. it is also the main protein in milk, which is why you should take your fast absorbing whey protein with water so as to not counteract the benefits of the quick absorbtion.

By taking the casein right before bed (preferably with milk) it can feed your body for up to the next five hours, keeping you out of a completely fasted stage. in this way, your body can repair tissue 24/7 instead of taking a break while you sleep.

Why not eat food? Why casein?

Also, you do realize that absorption =/= utilization?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I prefer ice cream in bed!
  • BeachIron
    Options
    think about it this way: if you are looking to build muscle, you are eating at a surplus, which for bigger guys means eating all day. my personal maintenance level is ~3700 calories, so when i build, i eat every hour of the day. when you go to bed, your body is left without food for ~8 hours.

Casein actually thickens in your stomach and takes longer to digest. it is also the main protein in milk, which is why you should take your fast absorbing whey protein with water so as to not counteract the benefits of the quick absorbtion.

By taking the casein right before bed (preferably with milk) it can feed your body for up to the next five hours, keeping you out of a completely fasted stage. in this way, your body can repair tissue 24/7 instead of taking a break while you sleep.

I was confused...but then saw that you're from Ohio (I went to PSU)...now it makes sense.

^ Don't listen to this.

Eat food, but not too much
    get enough protein
    smash weights in the gym
    get bigger.

That's all there is to it.

so the science behind it doesnt do it for you huh? read the link posted in the thread and learn something. especially dont insult people who are correct while making yourself look like a dumbass.

do i think this is necessary for everyone? no. is it beneficial for those pushing their bodies hard? yes.

lolz
  • BeachIron
    Options

with whipped cream? I can be pretty flexible on this . . .
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    so the science behind it doesnt do it for you huh? read the link posted in the thread and learn something.

In for the science . . .

Me too...I would love for a study to be posted that shows the timing of casein specifically makes a difference.

The link cites no studies.

Yeah, but did you see how ripped the pictures were on that link?

That's good enough for me. Ordering my 10 lb bag of casein right now!
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    Drink 1-2 scoop casien protein shake 20-30 mins before bed. If you're sleeping between 6-8 a night it will help with feeding your body with proteins for a large part of those 6 to 8 hours, preventing or avoiding a catabolic state.

So yes, drink it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Drink 1-2 scoop casien protein shake 20-30 mins before bed. If you're sleeping between 6-8 a night it will help with feeding your body with proteins for a large part of those 6 to 8 hours, preventing or avoiding a catabolic state.

So yes, drink it.

So what you're saying is, a 6-8 hour fast automatically results in an overall net catabolic state?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So yes, drink it.

So what you're saying is, a 6-8 hour fast automatically results in an overall net catabolic state?

:noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

And hot (but not too hot) caramel sauce please :wink:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    so the science behind it doesnt do it for you huh? read the link posted in the thread and learn something.

In for the science . . .

Me too...I would love for a study to be posted that shows the timing of casein specifically makes a difference.

The link cites no studies.

Yeah, but did you see how ripped the pictures were on that link?

That's good enough for me. Ordering my 10 lb bag of casein right now!

From the site I assume!
  • Shr3dded
    Options

So yes, drink it.

I'm not saying automatically sets a body into a catabolic state, but if you don't eat within 2 hours or so of bed time, adding that to your 6-8hours of sleep can lead to a catabolic state. Casien protein is great for meeting macros and satiating the body over night.

If you aren't a fan of Casien protein, or only have whey on hand, eating cottage cheese or greek yogurt with a scoop of protein 20 minutes before bed and definitely help in promoting gains and preventing a catabolic state.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So yes, drink it.

I'm not saying automatically sets a body into a catabolic state, but if you don't eat within 2 hours or so of bed time, adding that to your 6-8hours of sleep can lead to a catabolic state. Casien protein is great for meeting macros and satiating the body over night.

But, but. but, the food you eat within 2 hours of going to bed turns immediately to fat!
  • BeachIron
    Options

And hot (but not too hot) caramel sauce please :wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • Shr3dded
    Options

So yes, drink it.

But, but. but, the food you eat within 2 hours of going to bed turns immediately to fat!

Do you have any proof of this claim? It's just broscience. I eat every night, the same thing, 20 minutes before bed, and 2 and half hours before that, I eat dinner. No fat gains here.

Your metabolism can't tell time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So yes, drink it.

Do you have any proof of this claim? It's just broscience. I eat every night, the same thing, 20 minutes before bed, and 2 and half hours before that, I eat dinner. No fat gains here.

Check your sarcasm meter
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

So yes, drink it.

Ha ha, Sara!

Finally, someone called you out on your broscience!

:laugh:

LOL

Wait, wut?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ha ha, Sara!

Finally, someone called you out on your broscience!

:laugh:

LOL

Wait, wut?

Ironic huh?
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Catabolic states dont exist as easily as people think. It takes days of no eating to become catabolic, thats called starvation. I fast for hours and even days and not once has my body eatin my muscle. i still have all my gains. people are to gullable to everything they read.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i will say i asked this of like the most ripped trainer at my gym earlier, and he was like "i love that stuff man i have it every night, it's crucial" and he was being serious...

...but more than anything it seems the general consensus in macros matter more than the timing of them?