Protein Shakes??

Options
cebreisch
cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
2 Years ago when I was considering lap-band surgery, one of the things that sort of "held me up" on the idea was that I'd have to be on a liquid diet for about 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after and would have to have protein shakes.

I tried a variety of protein shakes, and couldn't find one that I liked. (Of course, my husband laughed at me and said I wasn't going to find one that tasted like a Dove bar.)

I'm looking into chocolate protein shakes now for other reasons.

Does anyone have any favorites, and explain why you like that one vs. others (or what you don't like about a different brand)?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!!

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't like any of the ones that come pre-made. I make my own. I like Jay Robb vanilla protein powder, 1/2 a frozen banana, ice, and 3 cups of spinach. That is about 200 calories and YUMMY! I think the key is the ice and the frozen banana to add volume and texture.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    GNC's AMP 60 is probably the best tasting I've ever had, but it's a small fortune. Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey (double rich chocolate) is a close second and much more affordable. Both taste good enough that I don't feel like I have to "choke" them down.

ETA:
    I mix mine with 8-12oz of skim milk, which probably helps. At times I'll mix them with milk and ice cream, and that REALLY helps.
  • everestnut
    everestnut Posts: 2
    Options
    I eat very little meat and also work in the medical industry where lunch time is "on the go". I really depend on protein shakes to keep me going. The only one that I can hack is Herbalife. The chocolate is very good but I LOVE the vanilla. Hope that helps.