Anyone using L-Carnatine?

Options
Curious if anyone has seen any effects of using L-Carnatine for weight loss. Anyone knowledgable on it? I feel like the guy at Super Supplements only knew stuff from training and not experience or real world knowledge. Almost put back everything I was buying because of it.

Replies

• ranibauer
    ranibauer Posts: 73
    Options
    I used to use it years ago. I honeslty think it helped with food cravings! Actually, not that I am thinking about it I should start using it again :) As long as you take the recommended amount, it can't hurt you. I would give it a go!
  • wendylady123
    wendylady123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I tried it before my workout once. Still unsure of the results. I'll keep using it til the bottle is gone.

Supposedly it targets your fat calories first according to the "genius" at Super Supplements, but what I really wanted to know was the technical stuff. Like chemical composition and actual physiology of it. I guess what it really does is it helps replace natural production of L-Carnatine that we lose with age (which causes us to gain weight) and it's responsible for breakdown of lipids (fat). Of course as with all "supplements" I always hear "CAN HELP PROMOTE" and not, actual people going, "THIS STUFF WORKED GREAT"

Thanks for the insight, ranibauer! I appreciate hearing from people's experiences.

Anyone else have experience with it?
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey! I feel like it isn't designed for weight loss. It is more of a muscle optimizer so it'll add weight to someone using it. Its great for buidling muscle but if your goal is weight loss its best to sticking to calorie counting. I'm all for it but its up to you. Good luck no matter what!
  • wendylady123
    Options
    Can you please direct me to a link about the "muscle optimizer/weight gain" part? Everything that I've looked up has it pointing to being the natural nutrient in the body that breaks down fat.

----
    As per this article:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/carnitine-l-000291.htm

Weight Loss

Although L-carnitine has been marketed as a weight loss supplement, there is no scientific evidence to show that it improves weight loss, however some studies show that oral carnitine reduces fat mass, increases muscle mass, and reduces fatigue. All of these effects may contribute to weight loss.

----

Maybe it's an ingredient in something that you've taken for muscle optimization?

Have you used it before?
  • wendylady123
    Options
    Ooooh...this is interesting as well:

Dietary Sources:
    Red meat (particularly lamb) and dairy products are the primary sources of carnitine. It can also be found in fish, poultry, tempeh, wheat, asparagus, avocados, and peanut butter.

OM NOM!