Quick Question - Treadclimber

dj_stevie_c
dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay so I've discovered I have a real liking of the machine made be Nautilus.

It claims to be twice the workout and "just like fell walking" and I'd have to say that I'm certainly feeling that. I have never sweated on a machine in the gym like I have on this one. If you don't know how it works, basically it's a treadmill combined with a step machine, 2 seperate tracks that move up/down.

Speed wise you don't run on it, I think the machine only goes up to 4kph but you don't need to go faster than that, the tracks are small so it would be dangerous to run and the machine itself advises against that anyway. In any case, I love this machine yesterday I did 40 minutes on it, today I did 50 minutes, which is pretty much the longest sustained excersize I've done.

I feel great and it's low impact on my back/knees which is great.

The question I have is this. After 50 minutes the machine says I've burned 1202 calories. I feel that might be a little high, though on there walking uphill for 50 minutes gives you around 950 cals burned so it's not beyond reality. What do people think? Has anyone else used this machine and how have their results been?

I had a read up online and the articles I read say that its a great machine even if it's expensive but it can take some getting used too. Well I'm used to it and I won't be dropping it from my gym routine :) it works for me I just wnat to see what people think about the calorie count.

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    We used to have one at the Virgin Active gym I used to be a member of - I LOVED IT!
    Sadly my new local leisure centre gym doesnt have them :sad:

I agree with you that it's a great machine and you certainly feel like you've had the workout - sweaty and energized, but without the sheer exhaustion of the treadmill (or that could just be me!!)

I also get your point about calories burnt on the readouts. If it helps, I used to wear my heart rate monitor on it - and it used to read approx 90% of the calories it stated on screen. (Does that make sense...sorry if not...so if it said I burnt 1000 calories, my HRM said 900) So it is fairly accurate. I know this will be different for everyone, but that was my experience.

I'd almost forgotten about this! I'd love to encorporate one back into my routine! :smile:
  • MiniRose2B
    MiniRose2B Posts: 53
    I worked at a popular gym for 6 years and my favorite machine was the treadclimber, It really seemed to take inches off my waist and I also like the low impact on knees. However like a lot of fitness equipment it does seem to "burn" you on the calories being burned. In the gym I worked in we did'nt take the readings on the machines too seriously, but don't let that discourage you, the scale and your loose clothes is for real! Hey DJ's are cool, good luck!
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Cool. 90% does sound more 'sensible'.

I wasn't going to eat back an extra 1000 calories anyway so I'll certainly not be doing any damage :)
This discussion has been closed.