any tips/guidance to lose 40/50lb by sept

Options
Hi,
Ever since my early teenage years i've never been the skinniest of girls, but by no means overly obese. I was subjected to bullying until about 16 where at that point i started putting on more weight. Stress, negativity and general low self esteem as caused me to get into a vicious circle. i eat. so many things in my life have come to a halt or have been avoided because i'm not happy in my skin. i have a great following of friends, a fantastic family, a job and working hard at university but i haven't tried getting into a relationship for a year or so because I'm not happy and why subject someone to an unhappy partner. I'm now 20, 194lb and i've had enough. I'm sick of being the 'chubby' girl, the one that makes all the other girls look good.

I don't want to have to avoid certain shops, feel embarrassed paying for my size 16 clothes, not enjoy myself. in September I'm going to NYC and would love to go crazy and buy a whole new wardrobe. I want to get my confidence back. My current activity level is fairly light but my job means I'm on my feet all day.

my goal weight is 144 lb

any help, tips or guidance would be fantastic

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

There are many threads here dedicated to people trying to figure out a good, healthy way to lose weight. Let me direct you to them.

The Basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/841305-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag

Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

The group "Eat, Train, Progress" is a good one to join and that's where these links are from.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    40 - 50 lbs in 5 months can be done-- I lost 70 in 8 months several years ago by swimming 4 times per week (about 700 calories burned at each swim) and keeping to a strict 1500 calorie a day diet that was very high in raw veggies and protein, and very low in fat and carbs.

Now, honestly, I will tell you that I gained most of that back and am now in the process of losing it AGAIN (which is the not-so-encouraging part), but if you're committed, it can be done.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    To lose 50 pounds by September, you're looking at 12-15 pounds per month, or over 3 pounds per week. That's an extremely challenging goal, especially as you get closer to your goal weight. Even with all of the dedication and motivation in the world, for most people it wouldn't be achievable, and certainly not in a healthy way.

I highly recommend reading the links the previous poster listed, setting a moderate deficit for yourself, creating a reasonable workout plan, setting your mindset to be that this is how you're going to spend the rest of your life, and going for it.

Even if you're not at your goal weight by September, you can make a good dent in it, and you might be surprised at how good that can make you feel, especially when combined with the energy you'll get from eating well and working out and the body strength you can gain from lifting.
  • xonjro
    xonjro Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks so much! look really helpful
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on the scale, measure yourself, that's what really counts! good luck!