Running every day?

krislshoe
krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Just wondering how many of you run everyday? I have been running every other and doing the elliptical on the off days to try to keep my body guessing with the exercise....just curious to see your thoughts.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Running is a high-impact activity, so the more frequently you run, the higher the risk of developing an overuse activity. Plenty of people run every day without a problem--others have to be more careful. So, there is really no "rule" -- it's just a question of playing the odds and perhaps being more cautious at first.

While it's important to vary your workloads, and cross training is a good exercise for injury avoidance, be aware that the whole "keep your body guessing" concept is pretty much nonsense--at least the way it is being presented (i.e. "shocking" the body burns more calories).
  • MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    I run 2-3 miles a day outside in the spring/summer and treadmill in the winter. I have been doing this for a year now. When I started I did not have very good running be mistake I pulled a musle in my foot very painful I had to stop running and do low impact for 4 months after. It did feel better after about 6 months. Then I went out and made sure I bought really good shoes made for running. I went to the running room to buy them. They are great there they help you find the right shoe for your foot. Not to sure where you live but I'm sure you have a good place to buy good shoes.

Also if you are just starting out take it slow to prevent injure. And most of all have fun.

I hope this was helpfully to you and Good luck!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    On C25K they recommend starting at 3 times per week. As you get used to it, you can add more running. My friend runs 5 days a week but she has different kinds of runs. One run is a really slow one and one is a really fast one. It just depends on how fast, how far, and how your body tolerates it. Don't push yourself to the point of injury.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Had a great 40 min run this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.....I just dont want to get bored with it......so im doing the elliptical as well...which seems to burn the same amount of calories as running. I can definately feel my core tighten up with running......lov it!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Running is a high-impact activity, so the more frequently you run, the higher the risk of developing an overuse activity. Plenty of people run every day without a problem--others have to be more careful. So, there is really no "rule" -- it's just a question of playing the odds and perhaps being more cautious at first.

While it's important to vary your workloads, and cross training is a good exercise for injury avoidance, be aware that the whole "keep your body guessing" concept is pretty much nonsense--at least the way it is being presented (i.e. "shocking" the body burns more calories).

As usual this man talks complete sense.
  • mattytee
    mattytee Posts: 15
    I run every day about 2 1/2 to 3 miles and have only had problems when i first started to get into it. SHIN SPLINTS...not fun, but eventualy that went away and it became almost a habbit. As said above, yes it is high impact exercise so you don't want to over do it but its up to you. Have a good one ;)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I would LOVE to run every day but my body is not up to that. I get plantar fasciitis and then I have to stop for weeks at a time to let it heel.

It's a definite HIGH impact sport so listen to your body and give it breaks when it needs it. I think what you are doing is perfect. Mix it up with the elliptical....and the bike.

You could even try some Tabata.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    I run 3 times a week (3-7 miles each time). I feel that more than that is too much for me. So I vary my workouts by weight training, doing cardio via spin class, kick boxing or machines and I have recently bought a road bicycle and started riding. Do what works best for you but listen to your body.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I just run 3 times a week. I feel that's about right for me.

I've tried twice to do more than 3 times a week, and both times the law of dimishing returns took over.
This discussion has been closed.