I am new. Need support!

Options
Hello,

I just joined this community yesterday, and I am surprised how I can find so many foods under the meal section. I have tried to loose weight several times and I have not been sucessful. Please let me know if you have any tips. I have realized that I need the support.:cry:

Replies

• skinnyinmymind
    Options
    I just joined too. What diets have you tried in the past? Are you going to count calories this time?
  • FattyMcBigbum
    Options
    Drink at least 2 litres of water a day (not all at once though!). Get some regular exercise even if it's as small as a short walk or taking the stairs instead of a elevator. And be realistic with your portion sizes, if your not sure weigh it or measure it :)

Good luck to ya x
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Those are definitely the three big things to me - LOTS of water (I recommend you carry a bottle with you constantly), count your calories religiously - measure everything to be sure, when in doubt guess high, and exercise. Any little thing you can do counts - as long as you increase your activity from what it was before!

And use this site - it will help you! Good luck!
  • judithsimons
    Options
    Its wonderful that you've made the decision to get healthy. My advice to you in to increase your fiber intake and drink your 8 waters a day. Know that you can do this, not just think you can. :happy:
  • neely127
    neely127 Posts: 2
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. It's not going to be easy, but if you keep it up, you will gradually see the weight come off. Right now I can't get passed two pounds up or down. I've stopped worrying about and will just go with the flow. If you can get a reasonable fee at a gym with a pool, try the water exercise. It doesn't seem like that's much exercise, but it is fun and you are getting in shape. Don't deny yourself. There will be days when you will just have to have that bag of Lays or Big Mac. Get them, eat them and then make up for it later. What you will find interesting about these things is that when you come to this site and put in what you are eating before you buy it and see exactly how many calories the item has in it, you will end up not getting it anyway. :wink:
  • lilbo
    lilbo Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello there, I just joined this web site and I am looking for a tutorial perhaps? Or a way to change the settings from mil measurements to ounces. I'd like to start useing the tool correctly right away so that I'll continue using it. Thanks
    Lil Bo :wink:
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Welcome!!! Everyone has given you great tips so far, so I will just add you as a friend :D motivation is key for me and the more people encouraging the better!
  • Dianne66
    Dianne66 Posts: 10
    Options
    Welcome and good luck kgtweight and lilbo, you came to the right place. I've had so much encouragement and support on here in the past week or so and you both will too. Stick at it and show us what your made of :-)

Lilbo I know metric and imp measurements can be tricky so here's a link to a website where you can convert...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm

Hope this helps!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Wow, Everyone gave you such great advice...

2 things people don't realize they need- protein and fiber. Change your settings on myfitnesspal so your daily goal for protein is 75 grams and your fiber is 25. Reach those goals by the end of the day and you will feel satiated. Make sure every meal contains lean protein and fiber so you don't feel deprived.

Water is super important. I drink 10 glasses of water on days I workout and 8 on days I don't. Even on the days I don't workout, I go for a 25-45 minute walk. That works for me because I love to walk. Find what you love to do, and loosing weight will be much easier.

Also, only eat the foods you enjoy eating. Forget about convenience. If you are short on time during the week, then do a lot of cooking on Sunday. Soon you will love to eat healthy and won't feel like you need greasy or salty foods. Cooking your food will always help keep the calories in check.

Good luck! If you hit a plateau, don't worry, just keep going and the number on the scale will change!
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    I found the best piece of advice that I have ever been given was to work out my portions. A portion of, for example, cereal in the morning, isn't as much as you might have thought. It can be a bit shocking at first, when you see your bowl half empty, but you'll come to realise that you didn't really need as much food as you were consuming before!
  • Dianne66
    Dianne66 Posts: 10
    Options
    Sabrina that's great advice, thanks. Can you tell me how to change the protein/fibre settings, just had a look but can't seem to see where it is?
  • Kgtweight1
    Kgtweight1 Posts: 9
    Options
    I hope I am replying to everyone who replied to my e-mail. I am still learning how to use the message board. First, thank you for the wonderful comments and I will try your suggestions. Secondly, I am so appreciative of the feedback. It makes me think that I have joined the right program. Hopefully, your comments, suggestions, and support will be enough to help me with this weight journey.

Does anyone know how to add someone as your friend?

Thank you.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    My top tips:

The scales do NOT always give an accurate picture. A lot of people on here plateau but when they measure their waists they've lost an inch or two.

Treat this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Diets come and go but a lifestyle change is just that, a complete change in lifestyle.

If you really, REALLY need that bar of chocolate or fizzy drink have it. As long as it is only the odd day when the craving gets too bad it won't affect your diet.

After a while you can easily do rough calculations on calories in food. Start going to the gym and associate those foods with the calories burnt on an elliptical trainer as an example. Want that bar of chocolate?...that's 15 minutes of hard work. Want that big mac? That's a whopping ONE HOUR on there! Once I started associating food with the sweat and hard work in the gym I quickly lost many food desires.

Add me as a friend if you need support :flowerforyou:
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Hello and welcome!! You've came to the right place! My advice is believe in yourself, dig deep and lean on the community here. Here's to accomplishing all of your goals here!!!:flowerforyou: