Make my favorite dinner healthy please!

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The butter and flour are used to thicken the sauce - I usually replace this with Corn Flour (mixed with a little cold water to prevent lumps). So easy and no butter in sight! My dad has been doing this for years when making sauces, not even for health/ diet reasons; just because it's quicker and easier than making roux!

Sometimes this causes mouthfeel issues. Cornstarch slurry seems to form a little bit more of a gelatinous sauce (think chinese takeout sweet and sour sauce), wheras the roux will give you a consistency more like brown gravy. This may or may not be significant to you.

Xanthan Gum might be another option. Add it a half teaspoon at a time until you get the gravy texture.
    If you have concerns about grilling with breadcrumbs, use the broiler in your oven. (at the end of the day, a broiler is just an upside-down grill). It also has the benefit of being more controllable and predictable than a grill.

Eh, that depends on your oven/stove unit. Many are as simple as "off" or "Hell", or maybe have a "Sahara Desert" setting before "Hell". Not much in the way of control there. The major benefit is no worry about breadcrumbs falling into the fire.

Another option may be to get a grilling pan. You can pick one up at places like Kroger this time of year. It's basically a skillet with holes all through it. It's great to have, anyway, since you can use it to grill all sorts of stuff that would normally fall through the grates.

Also, if you broil, make sure you use a pan that's built specifically for broiling. Otherwise, you'll probably ruin whatever it is you try to use.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Try low fat cheese, and less of it. They call for 1 cup each, maybe cut that back to 1/2 cup each? You can reduce the oils/fats you use as well, and use chicken broth instead. It sounds tasty! Have a smaller portion and eat more broccoli with it!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    But honestly not sure what you are trying to improve on here, that looks like a pretty healthy recipe. I think many people forget that fat is also essential to your diet, just stay away from Trans Fats.

I agree. It looks like it's supposed to be an "all-in-one" dish. It's got meat, fats, and veggies all in it. ~600 calories is about right for a full (albeit large for some) meal.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's your favorite recipe. Eat it as is.

Smaller portion perhaps.

Eat it on a hard work out day.

cut back during the day to save calories

It's not like you are eating this every day. Make it special.

I like a big greasy cheeseburger. (say, it isn't so) I only have one if I've ridden over 60 miles on my bike. I always run a surplus of calories on my longer rides any way.

...just some ideas.

You probably would not like the taste of a recipe make over.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Um, I am mostly commenting for the recipe you listed -- I don't see anything horribly wrong with it. As others have suggested, use broth for the wine. This will sounds odd, but use beef broth in it's place. Yes, with the chicken broth in a chicken dish. If you've ever had a really good wedding soup and couldn't figure out why it was so good -- it's probably because they mixed beef and chicken stock. My suggestion would be to use 1 cup of a more pungent cheese that melts similar to those listed - like an aged Gruyere. Aside from that -- the butter olive oil don't seem excessive for 4 people -- my dinners usually include similar amounts daily.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You can sub the butter with Land o Lakes Light Canola Butter and half the calories there and you can basically use cornflakes in place of some of the bread crumbs and half the calories there too....just add in the Italian herbs to adjust to taste. I would think to use a slurry as well and to sub in parmessan to reduce the calories or just to reduce the cheese in general and put it on top to get the flavor and not the calories.