Chest exercises + boobs

Options
mirgss
mirgss Posts: 275 Member
I am confused. I was always under the impression that, as a woman, chest exercises could actually shrink my boobs because of building up muscle underneath the mounds of fatty tissue. Since more muscle helps decrease fat, I was wondering if I would actually be reducing my cup size by working out my chest. Or is this just a myth?

I am interested in toning my arms, but I can't do my arms without my shoulders, and I've heard that you should really start with back and chest if you want to do that. But I don't want to lose my girls - gotta admit I love 'em!

Replies

• Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight, unfortunately that is the first thing to go. :grumble:

But I don't know when it comes to really working that area in exercise....
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I wish I would lose some there. Band size has gone down and cup size has gone up!:noway:
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight everything gets smaller including my chest. I don't really mind because I hate big boobs and hope they keep downsizing :bigsmile:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight everything gets smaller including my chest. I don't really mind because I hate big boobs and hope they keep downsizing :bigsmile:

Ditto!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Exercise will not make your boobs smaller. Losing weight will. Actually, doing chest exercises will improve them as there is better muscle support underneath the fatty breast tissue.

If you are planning on working with weights, why not work all muscle groups? It makes for a better looking, toned body
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I could stand to lose some boob. I do notice they get smaller as I lose weight, however, when my stomach gets thinner too they still look big. So they are still enough for me!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    As someone that have no boobs to lose, I decided to start doing push ups to work on my arms. Surprisingly, I found that my boobs actually started lifting a little. Big deal after two kids. Granted, it is very little since I start off "very little", but you understand. And there is more "cleavage" per se as the muscles underneath are built up too. I have collarbones!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with dawn and havingitall. If you work out your pecs, the muscle should lift your girls some but it won't reduce the size. The only thing that will reduce ANY kind of fat is just general weight loss... so working your muscles or not, they may get smaller.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    "heh heh heh' She said boobs.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i never lost any in that area except like another poster mentioned - band size went down, cups went up! i do arm/chest exercise and have noticed that it helps lift and firm them but not shrink them.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Excellent. I could definitely use some "lift" - hahaha!

@Vallandingham - yes, yes I did :D
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I know my boobs are getting smaller - I am soooo happy...
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    I wish! I would like to see them get smaller, instead the cup gets bigger and bigger! So far I have lost 162 pounds, and gone from a 58 D to a 46 DDD, I do see that I have much better lift now with the muscles getting toned.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    When I started out on diet & exercise I was a 48-A, and when I sat down I actually failed the pencil test. I've been losing bodyfat and doing all kinds of cardio and now I'm a 46-A and they're perkier. I do find that I have less moob mass, and they're quite perky now and I cannot hold a pencil anymore.

What? What? :devil:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Does the pencil test count if they sag?
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    ( . ) ^ ( . ) I love the tatas!!!! Unfortunatly they are mostly fat, you lose weight and there they go.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :huh: Am I the only one who doesn't know about this pencil test?? 'splain it to me, Lucy.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Old wive's tale about boobage, the pencil test.

Stand up topless (I like that part),
    Lift one of the girls if necessary, and place a pencil underneath.
    Move hands to your side.

If the pencil falls to the floor, you don't really need to wear a bra. If you hold the pencil you probably ought'a have some support.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    The chair test is the real 'tell' (it's a myth I'm sure). Same as a pencil test but using a folding chair, don't want to see that (Ok maybe I do).
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Ohhh. :laugh: