Headaches after walks

Options
MandaLee8908
MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
The past two days I've taken my dog, Sadie, on a walk in the morning. We haven't gone too far as I am really out of shape, and I am still trying to leash train Sadie. I have noticed that after the walks, which are about 1.5 miles, I get these headaches that pretty much last the rest of the day.

We usually walk before breakfast, so I eat as soon as we get back. I am pretty tired the rest of the day (I work 2nd shift and am on my feet the majority of my shift) and I feel a little foggy.

I was always told that exercise was supposed to make you feel more energized, but I'm not feeling it! Help!

Thanks in advance!

P.S I get the headaches if I walk alone, too, so i don't think it's entirely the leash training putting strain on my arms/shoulder/neck that is causing the problem.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Sounds like dehydration or low blood sugar. Try having your walk after breakfast and include protein and complex carbs. Cinnamon may help.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before going out to exercise. If nothing else, I grab a serving of raw almonds so I can have some protein to keep me going. And hydrate!
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    water water water and have a little protein before you head out a hard boiled egg or something
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hydrate yourself. Bring a water bottle along with you and make sure you drink and eat something before the walk.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Exercise-induced headache probably should be evaluated by your doctor.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate it! I should know better as I am in the medical field...:tongue:
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I would say drink a lot more water. I am notorious for getting light headed frequently when I am not drinking my water and when I do, never happens.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Already been said but my first thought was dehydration as well.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Do you get the headaches if you walk the same amount indoors on a treadmill? Where I live, this is high pest/weed/mosquito spray season and the chemicals get to me sometimes. Could this be an issue for you?
  • Fit_ClaudiaQ
    Options
    Make sure you're well hydrated!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Allergies, maybe. I started suffering from spring seasonal allergies one year out of the blue! Never had a problem, then bam. After working outside, the first thing I do is shower, so pollen doesn't get all over the house more so than it already does.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I used to get headaches and neck aches all the time after exercising. As I got fitter, these disappeared. I honestly think its from strain as you arent used to exercising. Just keep at it! It will get better, but no harm checking out your blood pressure etc.
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ALLERGIES!!! I get headaches when i take my dogs for a walk if i don't take my allergy medicine. If you don't have allergies you might had acquired them now. It's never to late or too early.

ALSO: Make sure you're hydrated