1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    OP - how long have you been on MFP, and how long have you been eating 1200 cals?

Some people do well on 1200 cals and other do better on TDEE - 20 percent ..and others do well on other methods. It depends on what is right for you, your body, and your goals.

Do you exercise?

If yes, then you should make sure that you are netting 1200....

Give 1200 a try for four weeks if you are losing then keep at it .if it does not work after four to six weeks then you may need to adjust...your body will give you feedback ..as opposed to five million people on here screaming to "eat more"....
    Absolutely this ^^^^
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are telling you that 1200 isn't enough, but everyone is different. I have a slow thryoid (diagnosed w hashimoto's) and I have found that 1200 is a great number for me.

...and unless the OP has the same thing, then arguing what works for you isn't necessarily going to work for them.

fact is, I don't recall seeing anywhere that the OP said how much they were working out, whether there were any outstanding medical issues, activity levels, etc.

In all likelihood, they joined MFP.. said they were sedentary with a 2lb per week goal. The app automatically throws out 1200, because that's the lowest that it will go.

Honestly, they would do much better with using some of the other links that have been provided, or to check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ for a more accurate guess at what they should be eating. At this point, giving a thumbs up to any caloric goal from any of us...

...without more information from the OP...

is effectively pointless.

but hey, what the hell would I know about losing weight.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Uh oh, this again.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are telling you that 1200 isn't enough, but everyone is different. I have a slow thryoid (diagnosed w hashimoto's) and I have found that 1200 is a great number for me.

...and unless the OP has the same thing, then arguing what works for you isn't necessarily going to work for them.

fact is, I don't recall seeing anywhere that the OP said how much they were working out, whether there were any outstanding medical issues, activity levels, etc.

In all likelihood, they joined MFP.. said they were sedentary with a 2lb per week goal. The app automatically throws out 1200, because that's the lowest that it will go.

Honestly, they would do much better with using some of the other links that have been provided, or to check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ for a more accurate guess at what they should be eating. At this point, giving a thumbs up to any caloric goal from any of us...

...without more information from the OP...

is effectively pointless.

but hey, what the hell would I know about losing weight.

tumblr_inline_mj3psomZsu1qesb52.gif
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 127. I was 139 and dropped the 12 lbs in 90 days. MFP put me at 1200 calories to lose 1 lb a week. It worked perfectly - exactly as planned. I worked out 3-5 days per week say giving me 1600 calories to work with and I normally ate maybe 200 more on those days. So, you can stay at the 1200 calories easily by eating

A) -bulky high fiber foods that fill you up and keep you satisfied like cauliflower - steam and/or mash like potatoes, big salads with olive oil/basaltic dressings, oatmeal for breakfast with raisons to sweetness and milk, snack on carrot sticks until you are stuffed, always eat protein every meal to keep you full for 4 hours. Eggs are great for breakfast or hard boiled for easy handy protein with every meal. Snacks are always fruit. Apples, grapefruits, grapes, berries - each fruit is almost natures perfect 100 calorie treat. Screw cookies - an apple is tasty, crisp, sweet, filling, delicious and satisfying. Fruit and Veg are almost free foods as their calories are negligible.

I never worried about the fat in almonds, olive oil, fish, or avocados. I ate guacamole on everything, sandwiches instead of mayo, salads as dressing, on chips because - ITS DELICIOUS.

B) Exercise to burn more calories and give you more latitude in calorie consumption.

Those people that say 1200 isn't enough haven't been you and don't know what you need.
  • Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all the input everyone, I will read through all the responses, I have no idea what a TDEE is lol, but I will figure it out!
  • Lola824
    Options
    PS: I honestly did not know this is a heated debate, I just have trouble sticking to it and I already eat healthy!
  • allie8962
    allie8962 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is plenty, depending on what you eat.

You want to AVOID calorie-dense food, or you're not going to be eating much.

I am following the Beachbody plan for Les Mills Pump and, guess what?? The 7-day jump start plan is based on 1200 calories per day and I'm eating 3 FULL meals and two snacks every day. I'm definitely NOT starving.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    im stickin around, i think this is about to get good....

tumblr_mmf5yoUeCP1s9c4n0o1_500.gif

Hah! I love this!!!!

And to add my two cents worth to the rest of the comments... 1200 is not too low for some people. I'm 5'1 and have a super petite frame. 10 pounds looks like 30 on me. I set my goal to a 1 pound weight loss per week and a lightly active status and MFP still gave me 1200 calories. It helps if you stay busy and make sure to eat every 3 hours. And set a cut-off time at night. I used to rack up hundreds of calories after dark, but now that I don't eat after 8:00 p.m., it's way easier to stay at/under 1200. Also, I try to eat as pure/raw as possible, avoiding packaged food and fast food. And one last thing that has been helping me is that I've been keeping my portions under control during the day so that at the end of the day I have room for a little icecream or a chocolate bar. Keeping this in mind throughout the day helps. :wink:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The jump start plan is just that - made to jump start your weight loss. After you initial week you should be eating more.

I did what a lot of you are doing - eating 1200 calories a day and burning lots calories through exercise so netting calories way under 1,000 per day. I lost a ton of weight very fast. And then it started to all creep back on. I ruined my metabolism - I would go to doctors telling them I was STARVING all the time but eating 1500 calories a day and actually gaining weight. Told them my metabolism was broken. No doctor ever helped me and the weight just kept creeping back on.

If you can eat more and still lose weight at a healthy level, wouldn't you want to? If you could actually eat 1800-2000 calories a day and lose weight versus eating 1200 calories a day - wouldn't you want to?

You don't have to starve to lose weight. Just my 2 cents.
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I find it pretty doable to stay under 1200 per day. I just make sure to use veggies and fruits to keep myself full all day. I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a bagel for lunch, a lean cuisine for dinner, plus the fruits and veggies, plus some seeds/pretzels/other decent snacks and an occasional dessert. Just look for low calorie foods that you wouldn't mind eating large amounts of like carrots or cucumbers, and then eat smaller portions of the higher calorie foods.
    Mine is set at 1200 also. I do the exact same thing and Im always satisfied. Sometimes I feel a little to full.
  • allie8962
    Options
    The jump start plan is just that - made to jump start your weight loss.

I was just using that as an example of how I'm eating 1200 calories a day and NOT starving, since so many people on this board think 1200 calories isn't enough to keep someone alive :laugh:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

I was just using that as an example of how I'm eating 1200 calories a day and NOT starving, since so many people on this board think 1200 calories isn't enough to keep someone alive :laugh:

its really the point you are missing.
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    im stickin around, i think this is about to get good....

tumblr_mmf5yoUeCP1s9c4n0o1_500.gif

Hah! I love this!!!!

And to add my two cents worth to the rest of the comments... 1200 is not too low for some people. I'm 5'1 and have a super petite frame. 10 pounds looks like 30 on me. I set my goal to a 1 pound weight loss per week and a lightly active status and MFP still gave me 1200 calories. It helps if you stay busy and make sure to eat every 3 hours. And set a cut-off time at night. I used to rack up hundreds of calories after dark, but now that I don't eat after 8:00 p.m., it's way easier to stay at/under 1200. Also, I try to eat as pure/raw as possible, avoiding packaged food and fast food. And one last thing that has been helping me is that I've been keeping my portions under control during the day so that at the end of the day I have room for a little icecream or a chocolate bar. Keeping this in mind throughout the day helps. :wink:
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have trouble some days staying within the 1200 calories even though I eat healthy. I'm new here and am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to stay within this limit without starving! Thanks!

since you're new you have the unique opportunity to research all the methods MFP members espouse. IPOARM, IIFYM, Paleo, Etc. etc.

In the meantime, I'd journal everything you eat but not look up the cals just in case you decide to simply cut your current intake by a certain percentage and see if it results in loss and go down till it does like some people suggest. Then after a week or two of journaling the cals go back and log them to see what each days intake was and bam, you can get an estimate. That's what I would have done if I could go back in time. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTJ0Ad1BR621MZMZEK36oAttxNyJTNBtuHJTB2IslPNOPVQ1hx
  • allie8962
    Options

its really the point you are missing.

Enlighten me, O' enlightened one
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    1200 just never cut it for me...you can lose weight by eating more than that. You'll likely burn at least 2000 (just an example number) cals a day alone from TDEE depending on your bodyweight and how active your daily lifestyle is. Don't deprive yourself. If you're hungry eat.

TDEE - 20% works for me as to finding how much you should intake daily.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm so disappointed when I see people answering questions based off "hearsay".

1200 calories, in many cases, is not too low- at all.

Everyone is different, and everyone's caloric requirements will vary.

1200 is what I aim for everyday, and am sometimes under this amount. I am a healthy 130lb's at 5 ft 7. No starvation mode here!

Do whatever is best for YOU :) If you notice "results" eating around 1200 calories, stick to it! I promise, you won't starve.

You're 25 years old and your maintenance calories are 1200?

That doesn't sound like a particularly good thing to me. (Or am I misunderstanding?)

Oh, and OP, I haven't read the rest of the replies yet, but I recommend you find the *most* calories you can eat while still making satisfactory progress towards your goals. I believe the typical "fewer calories are better" mentality is potentially problematic in the short-term and likely problematic in the long-term as your metabolism adjusts to your new eating levels. Don't start at the bottom and struggle to adhere to the plan when you can find a higher, more comfortable level where your energy and attitude will be less likely to wane.

I know it has been posted before, but I'll post it again (for convenience): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • Lola824
    Options
    My TDEE, is 2560, too bad I have no idea what that means :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    PS: I honestly did not know this is a heated debate, I just have trouble sticking to it and I already eat healthy!

:laugh: No worries...and welcome to MFP.

Your question was totally valid. The "problem" is, it's a frequently asked question here (not that you'd have any practical way of knowing that) so a lot of people were primed with their thoughts on the subject. It's also one of those topics where there are a lot of variables, and in my opinion, a huge difference between the short- and long-term ramifications of each. (Those who believe differently than I will of course say that I'm wrong.)

Whatever you do, don't take it personally. And definitely don't let it overwhelm you.

Welcome to MFP. Enjoy your stay.

:flowerforyou: