breastfeeding and calories

Options
I just started using herbalife and doing the Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred, Im at 157 and want to be at 130 I have a 7 month old baby who is Currently Breastfeeding. I really want to lose the weight without jeopardizing my Milk Supply but I cant seem to reach the 1200 calories a day it says I need and im thinking I need even more do to nursing. I am not starving myself I feel full I feel like I am eating all day I am just really focused on high protien low cal foods I eat a ton of fruits and veggies and proteins as well as oatmeal and herbalife shakes is it ok to be under the calorie intake if im eating till Im full all day?

Replies

• walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Under foods you can pick breastfeeding and it will give you negative calories. For instance, I am nursing my little one 4 times a day currently so first thing I add in my food under breakfast is "Breastfeeding 3-5 times a day -400 calories". That way I actually get to eat 1600 calories which has allowed me to lose weight without damaging my supply.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    You need an additional 20 cal per oz of breast milk your baby needs.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I was an exclusive pumper because of complications. I was pumpingc over 70 oz (!) a day and eating about 1600-1900 calories a day and I was running about 2-3 miles 4 time a week...unfortunately I didn't lose any weight but it helped my post partum depression some when I ran.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Kellymom is my resource for all things breastfeeding.
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

They do caution about the herbalife possibly containing ephedra or one of its substitutes, which can be excreted into breastmik with unknown side effects.

You definitely need to eat more. Nuts and greek yogurt are what I turned to when I didn't have enough calories. I don't really have that problem any more :)
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I don't think shakes are something that is recommended for breastfeeding mom's. You need to eat more than 1200 cals a day for your baby and for you to keep up.

Eat more nuts, peanut butter, regular yogurt.

Congrats on still bfing! :)
  • mommiet33
    mommiet33 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I've just started and I was wondering the same. Thank you walleyclan1 for the info. I couldn't find how to factor in breastfeeding. AmandaReimer1 is right, you shouldn't be drinking shakes or taking tablets. I suggest speaking to your doctor before taking any slimming aid. A lot of them will pass through to baby via your milk.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    When I was breast feeding my first daughter I didn't realize you were supposed to eat more cals to keep up your milk supply and when I did weight watchers I ended up with my milk supply nearly drying up. Luckily I took my daughter with me one day and they asked if I was breast feeding (I hadn't thought to mention it) and they told me I should be adding cals for that. My milk never came back as good as it had been though, so I would be really careful with eating too little. I personally would give the shakes a miss and just stick with food at least until you have finished breast feeding.