Anyone taking XenicAL??

Options
MY DR JUST PRESCRIBED IT AND JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT IT THANKS

Replies

• pamw22
    pamw22 Posts: 77
    Options
    You can't take anything high in fat or your will literally fart grease out!!! It's so gross!!! I took it for like 2 months like 3 yrs ago I think it helped but deff not interested again!
  • gabriellesca
    Options
    Isn't it the prescription version of Alli?
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    I've personally never used it but have a little bit of experience with patients that have. It's a fat blocker which is supposed to block up to 1/3 of the fat consumed. The blocked fat is then passed through bowel movements...which in turn CAN have some nasty side effects (of course the risk of side effects increase with a bad diet):

Anal leakage
    Urgency or inability to "hold it"
    Cramps
    Oily flatulence
    Night awakenings due to sudden bowel movements

you get the idea...

I would do some research to make sure this is something you want to take on considering the side effects can be unpleasant. For the most part, people find that the side effects (if proper diet is followed) are a drop in the bucket compared to the results.
  • kstoeger
    kstoeger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the RX version of Alli as mentioned earlier. I took Alli, and let me tell you....OMG, be prepared if you eat over the fat limit. I had a few "accidents". The side effects are not worth it. And I just started really watching what I ate. Just keep trying without the medicine.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I took Alli (the over the counter strength of Xenical) for a few months a few years ago and it worked to keep me accountable for what I ate. I never exceeded my allowance of fat grams so I never once experienced a treatment effect but that's because I was scared of the effects so I made sure to eat under the allowance.

I dropped weight fast but alas, I stopped taking it and gained it all back because I wasn't committed to changing my lifestyle.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine took it over a two month period at the beginning of last year and sufferred the same awful side effects that others have mentioned already... She lost 15kg within 2 months tho, which I thought was pretty amazing!

She learned quite quickly cut the high fat foods out of her diet, let me tell you! She stopped taking them after the two months and was able to lose another 10kg over the following 2 months with continued diet and exercise, but plataued and slowly crept up again after that due to some high stress personal issues which was a shame. When I spoke to her last she said that all up she has put all but 5kg back on, from her lowest 12 months ago.

It's a great drug to encourage good habits, but only if you actually learn the lessons it's there to teach rather than relying on it.

I don't think I would take it though - side effects are too yucky for me... and I just don't trust myself enough yet not to slip up and eat something naughty!