Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any Gardeners Who Want to Share Tips for a Newbie?

2»

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    good advice from all, but one tip, grow what you like to eat, and more importantly, is always expensive to buy

I am in UK, rhubarb grows very readily, as do runner beans, but for some reason the prices to buy these are stupid

I grow watercress in my pond, grows like a weed, but is also very expensive to buy

remember many flowers are edible, nasturtium is one,both flowers & leaves, has peppery taste, good in salads

Sorrel is easy and self seeds, again peppery, use a few leaves in salads [do not eat pounds of it, contains oxalic acid]
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

I grow watercress in my pond, grows like a weed, but is also very expensive to buy

And good news---watercress is considered to be a nutritional bonanza (even ahead of blueberries and kale on nutrient density indices). Watercress sandwiches anyone? :smile:
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Unless you already have favorites, don't get too worried about various plant varieties for now. For example, if you want to grow tomatoes just pick a couple of different sizes to start with.

Many herbs are easy to grow and so useful. You can dry them too.

If you have deer in your area, keeping them out of your garden can be major battle. This year for the first time we are not gardening because we now regularly have 4-7 in our yard.
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    good advice from all, but one tip, grow what you like to eat...

^This. My first year of gardening, I planted a bunch of stuff that did really well. The problem was that I didn't like most of it, and it can be surprisingly hard to get rid of some kinds of produce. This year I only planted the stuff I really enjoy eating.

Tomatoes, peppers, squashes and melons are pretty easy to grow. Spinach and lettuce prefer cooler temps but are great in the spring. Watermelons love the sun and heat of the summer. You can't really mess it up, just pick stuff you like and plant it. If it grows then great, if it doesn't then try again next year.