Eating healthy on a budget. Please Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• wacarr
    wacarr Posts: 25
    Options
    I agree what is what has been said. I have the same issue. I eat a lot of egg white scrambles. Such as buying the liquid egg whites and mixing it with chicken. I also eat a lot of tun salad with crackers. And instead of mayo I used plain greek yogurt. For lunch to work I buy a lunch to go starkist tuna salad with crackers that at walmart is $1.xx and buy one of the Green Giant veggie steamers that are only 40 calories about $1.xx. I have then eaten something that fills me completely up and is under 300 calories and only about $3. Also I price match at walmart all the time. I find adds that I get in the mail and if something is cheaper at one store then walmart is selling for the exact same price. Show the add to walmart at the register and they will price match for you and give you that same price. That helps me with not only saving money on the food but also on gas so I don't have to drive to different grocery stores to get all the good deals. It is a one stop shop :)
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    So what is your current budget?
    Things you can do, Find what goes on sale. bread can go on Buy 1 get 2 free. freeze two bags till you are ready to use it.
    Stop buying frozen food, its crap. It is more economical to buy fresh, you get more and will go a long way. You can buy a whole chicken, bake it in the oven, just add some seasonings on top, take the inside bag out if it has one, then add a salad. rice, beans, use it for chicken tacos, chicken soup, chicken whatever
    Slow cooker. any meat, put it in add some seasoning, Bam, dinner, bake some sweet potatoes or potatoes and have some delicious food.
    Look up some websites online, there are a lot of ideas
    I have fed my family of 4 for $75 a week before, people look at me like I am crazy. but I have done it.
    If you like beans, do not buy canned, one can make almost 3 cans. for less.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Have you maybe considered buying bulk? I am currently trying to save money as my bf and I wayy overrrspend and I am on mat leave so I only bring in soo much a month. I go to costco and buy chicken or wahtever is on sale.. and just portion freeze them. I bought a pack of drunksticks for 15$ and it last myself and my bf and my 3 year old about 1.5 weeks. We just switched up the fresh veggies on the side.

Just recently, I went and stocked up on meats, like pork chops, chicken breasts, ground turkey/beef, and italian sausage (for my bf) and it cost about 60$ total. This will last me all month. Portioned them out and take them out the freezer the night before! All you need it to buy fresh veggies which are quite cheap- maybe try buying things that are in season??

I don't buy for a month but when things are on sale I get more, last week Italian sausage was $1 a lb, usually $4.50 a lb, yeah I stocked up.