Big Loser (In the bad way)

Options
2»

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    First thing is you don't have to exercise to lose weight. Second you don't lose any more weight with exercise unless you under a doctor's care and are doing a very low calorie diet and trying to generate huge calorie deficits for rapid weight loss and there is some question about the long term effects. That is not something you can do safely on your own. Changing to a healthy diet and maintaining a proper calorie deficit is what loses the weight. If you exercise you need to eat those extra calories so you maintain the proper calorie deficit. So focus on healthy foods and portion control, which to me is far tougher than exercise anyway.

No. Because you also have the option to NOT cut calories and then create your calorie deficit with exercise. So in *no way* is it accurate to say that exercising does not induce weight loss.

Yes, losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit (and creating a calorie deficit that works for YOUR body). Whether you create that deficit by cutting calories or by exercising is up to you.

I personally look at it both ways -- I do have myself on a reduced calorie diet, but I also exercise. I'm using exercise to create part of the calorie deficit because if I DIDN'T exercise, I couldn't eat as much and only then (if I weren't exercising at all) would I not be using exercise as a way to create a calorie deficit.

I love exercising because doing it strengthens my heart, lungs, muscles -- my entire body! Yes, you can absolutely (in theory) lose weight without exercise by cutting calories alone. But you *really really* can't be HEALTHY without being active.
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    You are so not alone! If you can't find the motivation to do the particular exercise you need to find something else to do. I agree that you have to work through the discomfort, but if it's too much and prohibiting you from getting it done then it's just not working. I did the C25K almost 6 years ago and now I run half marathons. But I will tell you in the beginning there were times I thought I couldn't take another step. Having the correct shoes makes a big difference, and don't forget to stretch before and after. Whatever you choose to do, it's important that you like it or it just doesn't work.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    First thing is you don't have to exercise to lose weight. Second you don't lose any more weight with exercise unless you under a doctor's care and are doing a very low calorie diet and trying to generate huge calorie deficits for rapid weight loss and there is some question about the long term effects. That is not something you can do safely on your own. Changing to a healthy diet and maintaining a proper calorie deficit is what loses the weight. If you exercise you need to eat those extra calories so you maintain the proper calorie deficit. So focus on healthy foods and portion control, which to me is far tougher than exercise anyway.

No. Because you also have the option to NOT cut calories and then create your calorie deficit with exercise. So in *no way* is it accurate to say that exercising does not induce weight loss.

Yes, losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit (and creating a calorie deficit that works for YOUR body). Whether you create that deficit by cutting calories or by exercising is up to you.

I personally look at it both ways -- I do have myself on a reduced calorie diet, but I also exercise. I'm using exercise to create part of the calorie deficit because if I DIDN'T exercise, I couldn't eat as much and only then (if I weren't exercising at all) would I not be using exercise as a way to create a calorie deficit.

I love exercising because doing it strengthens my heart, lungs, muscles -- my entire body! Yes, you can absolutely (in theory) lose weight without exercise by cutting calories alone. But you *really really* can't be HEALTHY without being active.

You have contradicted yourself. You have said that there is no way that exercise does not induce weight loss and then agreed that you can do it by cutting calories alone. If exercise induces weight loss then all athletes would be losing lots and lots of weight. They don't because they eat their exercise calories, just like is recommended on MFP. So if a person sticks to the guidelines of eating their exercise calories, exercise does not in fact induce weight loss because it does not add to a healthy calorie deficit.

I do not disagree that exercise is beneficial and can make losing weight easier because of the improved good feelings and its help in controlling appetite. I exercise 5 to 7 days a week. However it is very wrong to imply that without exercise, weight loss is futile or cannot be as effective. Control the diet, lose the weight that is making it difficult to exercise and exercise as little or as much as you can and you will be just as successful at losing weight as someone who was able to exercise 7 days a week. Now at some point you should be exercising regularly to improve your overall health and fitness to prevent being thin but sickly.