IIFYM Protein and Water Question

Options
alsaxon
alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
The rule about 1 gram of protein per body weight is killing me. That means I need to get 128.5 grams of protein a day. I'm accustomed to hitting about 50 to 60 most days and that includes eating meat, beans, cheese and maybe eggs. Do I have to make my portion sizes bigger? I just don't know how to do this without going over my calorie count which is 1,734. I'd love ideas.

Also, the site admin recommends a gallon of water per day. Creative ideas for that is welcomed as well. :)

Replies

• BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'd like some ideas too- natural ones that don't involve powders.
    I hae found though that fish (like swordfish or trout) seems to bump up the protein nicely. It is costing a fortune though- protein is expensive!
  • calculustiger
    Options
    Since you mentioned that you have trouble reaching that goal while staying under your calorie limit, I recommend:

Egg whites (consider omelets, adding to pasta, adding to oatmeal, etc.)
    Chicken
    Protein powder
    Replacing other milks with light soymilk
    Replacing other cereals with Kashi GOLEAN or Special K Protein
    Greek yogurt
    Replacing other pastas with something like http://essentialeating.com/products/sprouted-whole-grain-organic-spaghetti
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    You'll most probably need to have bigger portions... For me, I only have 2-3 meals a day (excl protein shake) which are high protein... and that's on my 'high' protein diet..

Usually people can get most of their daily requirements of protein from the carbs they eat.. like having pasta would have _ amount of protein in it, that's excluding any mince or chicken you might have with it..

I'm not sure what your diet is like because your diary is closed
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 5 oz of protein each meal, usually chicken, tuna, salmon and lately too much beef. Dessert might be Greek yogurt based for more protein. I'll supplement with shakes or quest bars if I'm falling short.
  • LynneAmelia
    LynneAmelia Posts: 11
    Options
    I am so confused about the Protein! I had no clue we had to stay within a certain limit other than the calories LOL! No wonder after a week i have lost no weight! How does one keep up with tracking this best... any advice would do at this point, i have reached a stage of not losing, and have 5 more Kg's to go till i'm back at my pre-baby weight.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people put citrus slices and herbs in their water. Fruits etc. Naturally flavors the water and you don't get the calories, just a taste
  • dianamatienzo
    dianamatienzo Posts: 127
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great! I get the Great Value brand from Wal-Mart because I find that one to be the best price. It's about $4 as compared to something like the Chobani brand that's usually about $6; I'd also recommend the larger tubs and not the individual greek yogurt tubs. I also love chicken, tuna, and eggs :) I personally use whey protein very often to reach my goal because it's just easier that way.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    I am so confused about the Protein! I had no clue we had to stay within a certain limit other than the calories LOL! No wonder after a week i have lost no weight! How does one keep up with tracking this best... any advice would do at this point, i have reached a stage of not losing, and have 5 more Kg's to go till i'm back at my pre-baby weight.

Well, protein intake won't make you lose weight. To lose weight, calories are the only thing that matters, but if you want to mostly lose fat and maintain muscle getting more protein in your day is what you need to do. To lose weight in a healthy way, having a balanced daily intake of your macros is super important, but like I said, calories are the only that matters just to lose weight
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Use lean body mass instead of total body weight
  • alsaxon
    Options
    Since you mentioned that you have trouble reaching that goal while staying under your calorie limit, I recommend:

Egg whites (consider omelets, adding to pasta, adding to oatmeal, etc.)
    Chicken
    Protein powder
    Replacing other milks with light soymilk
    Replacing other cereals with Kashi GOLEAN or Special K Protein
    Greek yogurt
    Replacing other pastas with something like http://essentialeating.com/products/sprouted-whole-grain-organic-spaghetti

Oh wow!! I never thought of adding egg whites to oatmeal! I'll try that! Thank you!!
  • alsaxon
    Options
    You'll most probably need to have bigger portions... For me, I only have 2-3 meals a day (excl protein shake) which are high protein... and that's on my 'high' protein diet..

Usually people can get most of their daily requirements of protein from the carbs they eat.. like having pasta would have _ amount of protein in it, that's excluding any mince or chicken you might have with it..

I'm not sure what your diet is like because your diary is closed

I'll open it up. Nothing much to look at now because I haven't done a good job of entering things in it.
  • alsaxon
    Options
    I try to eat 5 oz of protein each meal, usually chicken, tuna, salmon and lately too much beef. Dessert might be Greek yogurt based for more protein. I'll supplement with shakes or quest bars if I'm falling short.

I'll already do Greek yogurts at one or two per day. I try to limit it though because I hate plain yogurt and flavored will put me over the limit. I used to add plain to my smoothies though. Maybe I'll get back to doing that again. That's 19 grams right there!
  • alsaxon
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people put citrus slices and herbs in their water. Fruits etc. Naturally flavors the water and you don't get the calories, just a taste

I make lemon water as of now. I guess I just need to force myself to drink more than 8 cups a day. I do like it though. A gallon is just a lot.
  • alsaxon
    Options

Thanks! What benefit does using lean body mass have besides lowering the protein intake I need? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary. Every morning I have scrambled eggs - 4 whites, 2 whole. Chicken breast for lunch and whatever for dinner.

RE: using lean body mass in the calculation - I think the 1g per lbs rule is for your weight in muscle, bone and organs. You probably don't need 1g of protein per lbs of fat on your body.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The "usual" or very commonly advised amount is 0.8g per 1lb body weight or as "emurano" says below 1g per 1lb of lean body mass.

Just a question though - if you don't log your food how do you know you are under or over?

As for the water - who says you have to drink a gallon of water a day? That could be too much, too little or just right but aiming at a random number is pointless. There are a huge number of myths around water on here! Hydration is important but it doesn't have to come exclusively from water.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Thanks! What benefit does using lean body mass have besides lowering the protein intake I need? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

1g per lb of lean body mass has been shown to preserve muscle, I think 1g per lb of bodyweight is always recommended because it's a convenient number.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Could pick up a few protein bars (check sugar and carb content) Tinned tuna is easy, salmon, chicken, greek yoghurt, blueberries. Bigger portions could do it of course, chicken is great for protein. Steak/Red meats.. spinach?
  • LynneAmelia
    LynneAmelia Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks so much! I definitely want to lose excess fat first! then need to tone up! But also don't want to lose only to gain, I have been juggling the 5kg for quite some time now, and think it is due to the methods i have used. I don't get much time to eat at work, so i am now having shakes so that i ensure Breakfast and lunch :D I think i had a really bad day the one day as my protein was double what i should have had. We don't use the gym much, but recently bought some equipment and since the novelty is still strong i have used it more than normal. so i also think i have possibly lost cm's rather than weight according to a scale. Will check on that! i will for now though try and keep within all those limits and just have to judge it daily till we know what best to eat.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Thanks so much! I definitely want to lose excess fat first! then need to tone up! But also don't want to lose only to gain, I have been juggling the 5kg for quite some time now, and think it is due to the methods i have used. I don't get much time to eat at work, so i am now having shakes so that i ensure Breakfast and lunch :D I think i had a really bad day the one day as my protein was double what i should have had. We don't use the gym much, but recently bought some equipment and since the novelty is still strong i have used it more than normal. so i also think i have possibly lost cm's rather than weight according to a scale. Will check on that! i will for now though try and keep within all those limits and just have to judge it daily till we know what best to eat.

No problem! :) Don't forget that most people think they need much less protein than they should be getting. When losing weight, and if you're already within a healthy weight range, I'd recommend a gram of protein per pound. For example, my daily intake is 131 grams and I weigh ~128. I always say this, but trial and error is really the only way to know what your body really needs; doing some research and getting good estimates give you a great idea of something similar to what will ultimately work for you :]