Exercise calories

Options
Plenty of topics out there saying eat back your exercise calories. I have been doing this - and I have been eating around 2000+ calories to compensate (and still not always hitting target) - as I need the energy from cycling. I have done my research and I simply cannot come to a conclusion on what to do. So many mixed views.

However, I have been gaining weight. I lost nothing last week, and this week I have gained 1.2lbs. Should I really, truly be eating back exercise calories when I am using TDEE -10%, set as sedentary? I've seen a few topics that say do, and others that say don't when following eat more to weight less.

Look at the last few weeks of my diary and see if you can fault me and shed some light on this topic! (I sure you can!)

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP then you absolutely should be eating exercise calories back. If you are following the TDEE method I would assume you shouldn't be eating them back.

Don't forget also that all these calculators are just estimates so they could be off as well.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP then you absolutely should be eating exercise calories back. If you are following the TDEE method I would assume you shouldn't be eating them back.

I thought this was only if your exercise calories were set to anything but sedentary. Maybe I have been a plonker then!
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i eat back half of my exercise cals and not all since the exercise cals in MFP can be flawed and i dont have an HRM.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    if you use tdee, you don't eat your workout calories back
  • Mads1997
    Options
    TDEE means Total daily energy expenditure. Everything should be included.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    i eat back half of my exercise cals and not all since the exercise cals in MFP can be flawed and i dont have an HRM.

Ah, I actually have a HRM and this is why I try and eat them back!

@claudiagior - so perhaps I should be upping my activity level higher, and just not eating back my calories?
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem--I got a heart rate monitor and never turned back. Mine's by Bodymedia, and it syncs with MFP.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    TDEE means Total daily energy expenditure. Everything should be included.

BAH. I want to hit my head against a brick wall! I've been stupid! It had been working. :( Oh well, back to the boardroom!
    On a side note, I learn something new every day. :-)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options

I thought this was only if your exercise calories were set to anything but sedentary. Maybe I have been a plonker then!

LOL I saw the word "plonker" and thought - there's a Brit!
    But the advise is right - if you are only using MFP and not futzing about with other methods - eat some/all of them back.
    If you ever see people's diaries who are using TDEE/Deficit, they log their exercises as 1 calorie only and that's why - because they account for their exercise and don't want to skew the numbers.
    I do a bit of a mix of the two - I know my TDEE deficit, and I changed my BMR in MFP so I eat my exercise calories back, but try and stick to a healthy deficit!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    If you are only weighing once a week you can see unexpected fluctuations due to high sodium and/or water retention. I was away for two weeks, eating restaurant meals, not drinking enough. When I got home last Friday night and weighed myself Saturday I was a pound up on the last weigh before leaving. Since then I have lost 8 lbs as my fluid stabilised thanks to drinking normally and not too much salt at home. This is a ridiculous amount for one week as the figures appeared to show, but in truth it is over nearly 3 weeks. My advice would be, if you get a high figure, drink plenty of water and weigh yourself daily to see if the weight comes off quickly showing the high reading due to water retention.
  • kellehbeans
    Options

LOL I saw the word "plonker" and thought - there's a Brit!
    But the advise is right - if you are only using MFP and not futzing about with other methods - eat some/all of them back.
    If you ever see people's diaries who are using TDEE/Deficit, they log their exercises as 1 calorie only and that's why - because they account for their exercise and don't want to skew the numbers.
    I do a bit of a mix of the two - I know my TDEE deficit, and I changed my BMR in MFP so I eat my exercise calories back, but try and stick to a healthy deficit!

Hehe! I couldn't think of a politer word, so I just decided that would be fine, and probably no one would get what it means! :laugh:

Not sure whether to up my calories, and just not eat back exercise calories! Works out at about 1800 calories. Not sure, just not sure.. :(
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Actually, you hit on a point that has bugged me too (and you are not stupid :wink: ).

This whole "level of activity" thing seems quite vague to me. I can see a distinct difference between, say, sendentary and highly active for example. But, I have difficulty in truly differentiating between the levels where one is in fact active.

For my profile I'm never quite sure whether I am active or extremely active and that does make a difference.

Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Don't forget also that all these calculators are just estimates so they could be off as well.

All this above is spot on but one question for you...
    When you worked out your TDEE you obviously set your activity level but did you also include your estimated exercise in the calculation? If you did (which is what TDEE really means) you have been double counting those exercise calories.

Both TDEE minus a cut and MFP method of eating back calories work but you can't confuse the two. :smile:
    As a fellow cyclist I wouldn't use the TDEE method as my mileage varies a great deal so I prefer to have high days and low days.

There is a third way as well of course - based on your actual results adjust your goal by trial and error.

Congrats by the way on setting a conservative weight loss target - very refreshing!! :flowerforyou:
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Actually, you hit on a point that has bugged me too (and you are not stupid :wink: ).

This whole "level of activity" thing seems quite vague to me. I can see a distinct difference between, say, sendentary and highly active for example. But, I have difficulty in truly differentiating between the levels where one is in fact active.

For my profile I'm never quite sure whether I am active or extremely active and that does make a difference.

Good luck!

Thank you! :)

@sijomial - I did not include my exercise calories, I set myself as sedentary. I may need to raise my calories! And just not eat back! I definitely did get the two confused, and when I did a google search and a topic search, I found so many mixed views, I just felt like pulling my hair out!

Thank you! I'm glad I made a good impression on someone! :flowerforyou:
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I keep this as a reference. It came from the post of a lady the other day (sorry, can't credit her as I neglected to note the ID).

I think it clearly sums up the two different methods:
    If you are using the MFP method, then you should eat back your exercise calories no matter what activity level you set - because MFP assumes you will eat them back and they are NOT included. (the MFP activity level is only based on regular daily activity, not exercise).

If you are using the TDEE method, then your exercise calories are included in the activity level you choose, unless you choose sedentary. So for anything other than sedentary, you would not eat them back (since you are already eating them). For sedentary, you would eat them back, because you are burning more calories than your calculated TDEE number includes.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    I keep this as a reference. It came from the post of a lady the other day (sorry, can't credit her as I neglected to note the ID).

If you are using the MFP method, then you should eat back your exercise calories no matter what activity level you set - because MFP assumes you will eat them back and they are NOT included. (the MFP activity level is only based on regular daily activity, not exercise).

If you are using the TDEE method, then your exercise calories are included in the activity level you choose, unless you choose sedentary. So for anything other than sedentary, you would not eat them back (since you are already eating them). For sedentary, you would eat them back, because you are burning more calories than your calculated TDEE number includes.

That's what I have been doing. I might do it as lightly active and see how that goes after today. Thank you for finding that quote! I do believe I see it, but I never read the sedentary part. :flowerforyou:
  • Mads1997
    Options

If you are sedentary you would have no exercise to add. So that's a bit silly.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    "bump"

need to come back and read this.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    rather than confusing yourself (this all is starting to sound all over the place), just think logically.

You are burning X calories per day, let's not talk about how (i.e. additional exercise).

You are eating Y calories per day

The result is that you have gained. Now, it doesn't sound like you are doing anything that focuses on muscle training, but have you taken measurements? Have you been looking at your body to see physical changes?

If you are doing very little weight bearing exercise and this has been going on for a period of time, you are likely in the situation where;

Y > X i.e. you are eating more than you are burning.

So.... you should start cutting down by 100cals a fortnight and see what happens!

I used to be 1200 and lost, then stalled.. I have upped to 1600NET (i.e. eating back) and have found my losses limited HOWEVER my muscle gain/fat loss is phenomenal. And I feel like a ravenous pregnant woman or boy going through puberty (even though at first I struggled having 1600). It really depends where you are in your journey - I'm 5'7 and 140lb now so I am just hoping to reduce bf% and increase muscle.

I just gave my example to show that every case is different, so you need to think about yours. Also remember that regardless of if you go by TDEE or by eating back exercise calories and using MFP, there really shouldn't be a difference in how many calories you eat per week anyway! Just keep a track of things and reassess every 4 weeks. If you cut by say 200 over the next month and STILL don't see losses or a reduction at the rate in which you're gaining, then you probably need to look to your diet and perhaps talk to a Dr (thyroid problems, they suck). 2000+ is quite a lot, I only get that on my very good exercise days!

Good luck :)
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I understand it in this way:

TDEE -x% caluclation on sedentary -> eat back your exercise cals.
    TDEE -x% calculation on light/moderate -> don't eat them back, because they are equaly distribuited during the week.

I burn around 4000 clas a week with 4 HIIT workouts, which helps me eat 1600 cals every day, instead of 1300x3 days and 2300 the other 4. The final weekly calculations is pretty much the same, but you don't need to starve one day and pump your food the other :)