no access to heavy weights. what do i do?

Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
So i've read it 100's of times on here, for maximum body shape change and 'toning' I need to lift heavy.

I am 5'6, I started at 157lbs, currently 136lbs and goal weight 119lbs, so still 17lbs lef to lose.

But there is a slight problem, i do not have access to a gym - i work for a large company who luckily do classes after work so i do circuits, kettlebell, spinning and body pump each week and i have x2 3kg dumbbells at home which i will do the 30 day shred with when i have the time.

But i understand that the 3kg dumbells wont be substantial enough for real changes, am i correct?

what do i need to do? or will the clean eating and the classes i am already doing be enough?

Replies

• ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    go to the park and do body weight exercises...pull ups, dips, chin ups, ab work, and sprints
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Body weight exercises are a good start. If you can't purchase a bar, plates, bench, rack, etc., I'd suggest getting some heavy resistance bands and modifying squats, bench, dead lifts, ben over rows and over head press for them.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You do not need a gym to lift heavy. Body weight exercises can be manipulated to be very difficult giving you all the resistance you need, and then some.
    Check these places
    Nerdfitness.com
    you are your own gym
    global bodyweight training
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    I am just starting the first 10 week program of Mark Laurens "You are your own Gym." The book offers multiple body weight programs that show how to increase load with new exercises or adjusting the technique.

Since I am just starting, I cannot vouch for the success of the program! But, I have read through the book and I like what I see. You can pick it up online for $10/15.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Convict conditioning is another body weight program to check out in the absence of a gym; the exercises were available for perusal on youtube, last I checked.
  • CoralBreeze
    CoralBreeze Posts: 49
    body weight exercises are great! i purchased a set of dumbells that came with a barbell bar pretty cheap, that could be something to look into :)
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    You can achieve a lot with the kettlebells.

The only non-kettlebell lifts I do are a barbell deadlift and rows on a TRX. I occasionally deadlift a 40kg bell if I'm not feeling up for the bar that day.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    It's no myth that you can reach all of your strength training goals with body weight exercises and a bare minimum of inexpensive props. Someone already mentioned "You are Your Own Gym" but "Body by You" by the same author is another great option for beginner/intermediate females. Kettlebells are another inexpensive option. Personally, I don't know why anyone chooses to spend tons of money and go to a gym when they don't have to, unless it's for social reasons in addition to fitness.

I also regret that I didn't have a clue about body weight exercises last summer when I bought a used Bowflex gym. I had to disassemble it to get it in the house and now it's impossible to figure out how to get it back together even with original assembly instructions (I had to take pulleys off instead of unthreading the cables). Now I have no interest in the Bowflex. Body weight exercises can be done anywhere, anytime. No more excuses. lol
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    As already said several times, body weight exercises can be better than they get credit for being. I'm a huge supporter of DDP Yoga, but I imagine that other things also work.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    You can achieve a lot with the kettlebells.

The only non-kettlebell lifts I do are a barbell deadlift and rows on a TRX. I occasionally deadlift a 40kg bell if I'm not feeling up for the bar that day.
    kettlebells are not strength training.

That said, they are a great dynamic conditioning template. And very useful for most any sport training.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    As many people stated above, calisthenics are the way to go. They are much more than just "a good start". If you do them right, they are ALL you need. Check out these youtube channels

Ido Portal
    Hannibal for King
    calisthenicskingz
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member

Depends on what level of fitness you are at.
    If you struggle to lift a 25lb kettlebell from the floor to over your head...then lifting that will be strength training.
  • frood
    Wut? Kettlebells allow me to squat, c&p, snatch, etc. I just increased my weight in 1/2 get-ups and c&p too. :bigsmile:

And the things go up to 108lbs in my gym. Lots of room to grow.
  • phjorg1
    Wut? Kettlebells allow me to squat, c&p, snatch, etc. I just increased my weight in 1/2 get-ups and c&p too. :bigsmile:

thats not kettlebell training then. thats using a weight to do compound movements.

Kettlebell training is very specific in it's description. And it's not strength training. Strength training is also very specific. Maximal load exercises where failure is hit very shortly.

edit: that is to say you can use kettlebells to do strength training. I don't deny that. Swing heavy dual bells up and do 5 shoulder presses till you hit failure. voila, strength training. But you could get 2 dumbells and do the exact same thing. Traditional kettlebell training is about power and endurance training through full body movements to create continuous momentum. Hence why most everything you see with it is non stop and fluid. And it's dam good at it too. Thats why the basic movement is the swing, and movement derivatives are measured in time usually, rather than reps. Think of it as very functional circuit training.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Another vote for bodyweight exercises. Check out bodyrock.tv
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Body weight exercises can be very challenging, although you won't get very big without weights. They are harder than they look. I actually was able to do some body weight exercises more effectively after doing some weight work.

As with many exercise topics, what you do depends on your goals and commitment.
  • frood

thats not kettlebell training then. thats using a weight to do compound movements.

Kettlebell training is very specific in it's description. And it's not strength training. Strength training is also very specific. Maximal load exercises where failure is hit very shortly.
    Ok, I never said anything about "kettlebell training." OP has access to kettlebells; I lift using mostly kettlebells because they fit well for my RMs. It's just another option to all the bodyweight suggestions given OP's existing tools.
  • phjorg1
    Ok, I never said anything about this "kettlebell training." OP has access to kettlebells; I lift using mostly kettlebells because they fit well for my RMs. It's just another option to all the bodyweight suggestions given OP's existing tools.
    Fair enough. Misunderstanding. I just assumed that when the OP is talking about not having access to heavy things, that kettlebells would be included in that and prop just has a 16lbs one in her gym. Could be mistaken however.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Well it sounds like you're off to a good start. You won't look like Arnold without weights, but you can look fit and toned like a soldier with just body weight exercises. Here's a very good link to get you started with ideas http://www.barstarzz.com/

I use resistance bands when I'm traveling. I bought a Gold's Gym set at Wal Mart for $30 and it even comes with a workout DVD. The set, albeit only used occasionally, has lasted me for several years so far. This link isn't exactly it, but it's a nice set and inexpensive http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Home-Gym/21695198?srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=30-174330517-2&adid=1500000000000036337720&veh=cse

This is a good way to start incorporating weight on the cheap too. You can do tons of exercises with dumbbells and this has enough weight to really challenge you. Can't beat the price either! http://www.amazon.com/105-Adjustable-Cast-Iron-Dumbbells/dp/B009GC76NW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=P0MP1443PKG5&coliid=I3DU33S0XJ2QVE&psc=1

If you couple it with this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Utility-Bench/11993394 then you really can get a lot in

Good luck in whatever you do and I hope my suggestions helped you.