Bread

Options
I love bread and I love sandwiches, although bread has a lot of carbs and i'm tired of eating bland, tasteless Sunbeam and Sara lee bread. I want something tasty but also low in carbs (don't we all?). What's your favorite bread? What's your favorite bread for sandwiches?

Replies

• jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I tried the Weight Watchers Malted Danish for several weeks, ate about 2 slices from each loaf and threw it away! It's like toasting paper! and sandwiches of air - doesn't even hold a filling of any kind! So, this week I bought Nimble wholemeal, same 51 calories a slice and its just like REAL BREAD! it has weight, texture, toasts well and makes a good sandwich. I also sometimes eat seeded bread - has lots of calories but is good for you and provides the fix if you're craving bread (by the way, the bread craving does wear off after a week!)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with carbs. Carbs are an important part of a balanced diet they not the devil as some people seem to think. All bread is generally high in carbs. Go for the whole grain or seeded ones they will be higher in protein also. It's worth making your own bread to as you then have full control over the grains and flour used.They may be slightly higher in calories but like anything in moderation are good.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile, you say you weight 156 lb and want to lose another 25 lbs??? Isn't that kinda on the low side for a male? How tall are you? (Under 5'?) I also looked at your food diary and see for the past week you have not even ate over 800 calories, most in the 700 or under... why are you starving yourself??? This is way way too low for a female, let alone a male. WoW

Unless you are diabetic, I don't understand why you want to cut the carbs down so much that you can't eat a good whole grain bread that tastes good to you... ?????
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have mentioned this before, but until I joined MFP and actually tracked my carb intake, I always thought I ate far too much- I love bread, pasta and rice and eat at least one of those every day, usually more.

In actuality though, my carb intake is very reasonable and in light of that, I eat whatever bread I like. Give me an onion baguette with some bacon in it, and I'm a happy lady!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    value time white bread- 2 slices for 110 calories
    favorite sandwich- i dont know
  • lemoonade
    lemoonade Posts: 1
    Options
    I like cheese, olive and buttermilk herb bread -- wonderful for dipping in hearty soups! I don't care if it has too much carbs on my bread as long it's delicious it's okay with me. Hehehe....
  • meredithkrueger
    Options
    Just use MFP to log you food and stay under the daily goal. If you want bread, eat it - you just may have to sacrifice something else to stay under goal. : )
  • xenon39
    xenon39 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good alternative to 'regular' bread is flax bread. I make it myself, it's very easy to make and has <1g carbs for 2 slices. Here's a link to the recipe I use:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever bread you want.

There's nothing wrong with carbs as long as they're not getting in the way of your protein and fat intake.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekiel bread. It's not low carb, but the calories are good and it has real flavor.

I also make my own bread. Again, not low carb, but I know it's full of good things.
  • charles877
    charles877 Posts: 17
    Options
    I just looked at your profile, you say you weight 156 lb and want to lose another 25 lbs??? Isn't that kinda on the low side for a male? How tall are you? (Under 5'?) I also looked at your food diary and see for the past week you have not even ate over 800 calories, most in the 700 or under... why are you starving yourself??? This is way way too low for a female, let alone a male. WoW

Unless you are diabetic, I don't understand why you want to cut the carbs down so much that you can't eat a good whole grain bread that tastes good to you... ?????

I'm sorry, I'm not responsible with updating everything I eat but 25lbs is a bit low anyway, I think I would be happy in the 130's. Right now my height is 5' 7".
    I tried the Weight Watchers Malted Danish for several weeks, ate about 2 slices from each loaf and threw it away! It's like toasting paper! and sandwiches of air - doesn't even hold a filling of any kind! So, this week I bought Nimble wholemeal, same 51 calories a slice and its just like REAL BREAD! it has weight, texture, toasts well and makes a good sandwich. I also sometimes eat seeded bread - has lots of calories but is good for you and provides the fix if you're craving bread (by the way, the bread craving does wear off after a week!)

I'll write down Nimble bread! Also, I just wanted something with a little more taste. I'm not so worry about the carbs but they are starchy. Thanks for the replies everyone.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    make your own bread. It's healthier and more delicious than stuff you buy at the store :)
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    try natures own cranberry orange toasters with a little mayonnaise and a few wickles ("wicked" pickle) chips :)
  • charles877
    charles877 Posts: 17
    Options
    try natures own cranberry orange toasters with a little mayonnaise and a few wickles ("wicked" pickle) chips :)

oh that sounds good!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ive answered this once- white bread great value- 2 slices- 110 calories
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If your diary is accurate you need to be adding calories, not trying to cut them.

I go for good bread (110 calories per slice)-- I tried the lower calorie breads and did not enjoy them. I like Arnold Country Oatmeal bread. I just make it fit my macros and don't sweat it beyond that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What's your favorite bread? What's your favorite bread for sandwiches?

I like the really dense wholemeal breads with little chunks of seeds and oats or what-not in there if I'm having sliced bread.

For sandwiches I generally prefer a wrap because I can stuff a serving of leafy green vegetables in there with the other sandwich ingredients. I like Flat-Out brand wraps because they are a little longer than most and are only 90-100 calories and have a decent amount of protein and fiber for a bread.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    open face sandwiches
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think I would be happy in the 130's. Right now my height is 5' 7" and 156lbs

no one but yourself can decide what your ideal weight should be, its a matter of personal preference.

but before you start losing weight, why not just try a strength training program. lifting weights will most likely achieve a more muscular and athletic build rather than diet alone.