Binge eating victory

Options
lua_
lua_ Posts: 258 Member
Hello,

I was a binge eater (I like to say 'was' because I don't let myself binge any more) and yesterday I binged on an entire sharing bar of chocolate, chips, mayo, take-away pizza and garlic bread. I had a about a third of the pizza and this morning I woke up feeling absolutely terrible. Bloated and full of crap food that has definitely put a few pounds of water weight on me for the next few days. However, I ate a slice of the cold pizza today and I am now going to throw the rest away. It tasted disgusting and with every mouthful all I could think about was what I was putting into my body.

I'm very sad that I binged and I know I'm going to have to work twice as hard after that binge, but after the slice of cold pizza I will now throw the rest away. There is a part of me that wants to just eat it and make today a binge day too, but I want to take care of my body today. I want to be able to control my binge eating by just saying 'no, it's not worth it', because it's not.

The old me would have just eaten the rest of the pizza, chips and mayo today, but now care too much about myself to do that. It isn't just the calories and fat that is stopping me, it's the emotions that come after binge eating.

So today, although I feel like absolute ****, there's a part of me that is proud of myself, instead of ashamed of myself.

Replies

• confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think you did really well not making today a 'binge' day too, well done :)

For me, when I slip up, the best thing to do is to just eat normally (and not over-restrict the next day to compensate) because otherwise, if I over-restricft to compensate, I find that I am more likely to slip up again.
  • lua_
    Options
    The old me would have just eaten the rest of the pizza, chips and mayo today, but now care too much about myself to do that. It isn't just the calories and fat that is stopping me, it's the emotions that come after binge eating.

So today, although I feel like absolute ****, there's a part of me that is proud of myself, instead of ashamed of myself.

The old you being yesterday?

To clarify: the old me being a couple of months back.
    Please take your sarcasm and negativity elsewhere. I hope leaving that comment made you feel good about yourself.

To those that responded kindly and with advice: thank you, I plan to eat normally today and just drink more water
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you listed what you at yesterday and then came on here looking for people to tell you it's ok.

I'm sorry if my comment upset you but sometimes someone has to be blunt and say it like it is. I'm all for eating what ever you like but with control.

Good for you, Matt, being so controlled. I bet you are a heap of fun to hang out with :drinker:
  • lua_
    Options
    Seriously, you listed what you at yesterday and then came on here looking for people to tell you it's ok.

I'm sorry if my comment upset you but sometimes someone has to be blunt and say it like it is. I'm all for eating what ever you like but with control.

I think you have misinterpreted my post. I binge ate yesterday which wasn't okay, however today I am choosing to not continue the binge like I would normally, which is a victory for me.

I'm glad you feel that you've swooped in with your blunt but oh-so-informative advice that I obviously needed, I hope you feel useful having turned my positive post into something negative.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options

lol. prick.
  • wonderbolt
    wonderbolt Posts: 48
    Options
    Good work in your attitude change!

I have Compulsive Eating Disorder and find my binges uncontrallable. They can last weeks! I admire your resolve to keep it to one day and throw everything out :)
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I know it cna be hard to make the decision to just throw away those foods and start fresh soemtimes. For me it was emotional eating that would make me binge for days at a time. Congrats on turning a new leaf today! Def up your water today to help flush your body and help with the bloating. :flowerforyou:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It tasted disgusting and with every mouthful all I could think about was what I was putting into my body.

But yet you kept eating it until it was gone....

jv51lv.jpg
  • lua_
    Options
    Good work in your attitude change!

I have Compulsive Eating Disorder and find my binges uncontrallable. They can last weeks! I admire your resolve to keep it to one day and throw everything out :)

Thank you :)
    My binges were like that too, and I would often restrict my calories or purge afterwards. Oh how I would love a magic control pill that changed my attitude towards food instantly!

We're so lucky to have certain MFP posters who tell us that, shock, we can CONTROL what we eat...I had no idea.

To keep this thread a positive one I'm not going to respond to those people, keep the brilliant mind blowing posts coming, at least I'm boosting your egos!
  • truechel86
    truechel86 Posts: 5
    Options

The old you being yesterday?

Seriously, people come on to these boards for support and get motivated and to spill their guts and not be judged. Food is an addiction for a lot of people and some times they slip up just like an alcoholic. She's not looking for somebody to tell her it's ok, she's looking for encouragement and support. Try to be one of those people or don't comment at all. Don't be a bully.
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    It tasted disgusting and with every mouthful all I could think about was what I was putting into my body.

But yet you kept eating it until it was gone....

jv51lv.jpg

Hey, look! I didn't know Lumberg was on MFP!

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=GLyglYfgABI-2M&tbnid=E-80GCwo8uX4OM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fknowyourmeme.com%2Fmemes%2Foffice-space-bill-lumbergh&ei=ltyMUauUEcjPiwKcnoGwBw&psig=AFQjCNEB_rYzf-cvQ1uTbjSiPbGEJOqXUA&ust=1368272406332816
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    congrats on your binge eating victory and deciding not to binge anymore. I undereat 90% of the time and binge 10% of the time. I am working on eating properly like I am supposed to and enrolled in a 60 day ed rehab class to help me on these issues. I am deciding not to allow myself to undereat anymore either
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    but now care too much about myself to do that. It isn't just the calories and fat that is stopping me,

I'm really proud of you! It's this attitude, along with self-awareness of the root issues, that are going to help you change and move away from binge eating. Well done!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was a binge eater (I like to say 'was' because I don't let myself binge any more) and yesterday I binged on an entire sharing bar of chocolate, chips, mayo, take-away pizza and garlic bread. I had a about a third of the pizza and this morning I woke up feeling absolutely terrible. Bloated and full of crap food that has definitely put a few pounds of water weight on me for the next few days. However, I ate a slice of the cold pizza today and I am now going to throw the rest away. It tasted disgusting and with every mouthful all I could think about was what I was putting into my body.

I'm very sad that I binged and I know I'm going to have to work twice as hard after that binge, but after the slice of cold pizza I will now throw the rest away. There is a part of me that wants to just eat it and make today a binge day too, but I want to take care of my body today. I want to be able to control my binge eating by just saying 'no, it's not worth it', because it's not.

Good for you! I threw away all of the leftover Christmas cookies the day after Christmas last year so that I wouldn't be tempted to eat them. I allow myself three cookies on Christmas day--one after each meal (I call it "the gift of the Magi" lol) . The only other day in the year that I allow myself dessert is my birthday. Sugar and wheat are addictive---there have been numerous studies on both of them that point to their addictive power. So I avoid them. I never have any uncontrolled eating. While this may sound oppressive to some, I find it freeing. Freedom is a great thing.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Food is an addiction

No, it's a habit.

is your attitude a habit?

that horse your on .....it's quite high, really hope you don't fall off and hurt yourself.
  • wonderbolt
    wonderbolt Posts: 48
    Options
    Food is an addiction

No, it's a habit.

Studies have shown that food stimulates the same areas of the brain for food addicts that herion does for drug addicts.

Tell me it's a habit when my mum buys me a tub of Celebrations for christmas and ten minutes later I am sitting in the wrappers of the entire tub with no memory of eating any of them.

Tell me it's a habit when I struggle every day to fight it, to the point where I've cut myself over my own weakness.

Tell me it's a habit when my mind is SCREAMING 'STOP, ROBYN, STOP! PUT IT DOWN' and yet, I eat and eat and eat.

To OP, this is a victory!
  • dldrucker
    dldrucker Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been there, and I just want to support you in making it through a day without binging.

Also, hope you don't mind, but I wanted to share a technique I've found to be very helpful in dealing with binge eating. It's called "urge surfing." This is a good description, but if you google it there's advice all over the web.

http://www.aliceboyes.com/urge-surfing/
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Food is an addiction

No, it's a habit.

Not even that. Unlike heroin and alcohol, food is necessary for life. You can't just quit eating, which is why learning self control is absolutely critical. Yes, the urge to binge in some people is incredibly strong but if you want to lead a healthy life then it has to be overcome. The arguments about it being an addiction aren't helpful for this reason.

Edit: And so I'm not misunderstood at all, very well done, OP, on your victory. Keep it up!
  • dldrucker
    dldrucker Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a p.s. Just like "urge surfing" is helpful in learning to wait out the urge to binge until the urge decreases, if you wait out the urge to respond to someone like Matt, eventually he will also decrease, that is, stop posting nonsense, and go away.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    OP the ignore user feature is a very useful tool:flowerforyou:
    you click that little arrow down by his/her name and ahhhhhh you do not see their posts.

I am glad you decided not to continue your binge today.