will eating over calorie allowance gain weight in 1 week?

Options
ive been indulging for one week.. will i gain weight? i have no scales to weigh myself as i am at my nans house...
i haven't gained inches but feel bloated?

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I had a week like the past week and have eaten well yesterday and today. If you aren't putting good food in your body (lots of salt, sugar, highly processed foods etc) you are likely to feel bloated.

Just get back on track, keep drinking lots of water and don't worry. It's not the number that counts anyway :)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    ive been indulging for one week.. will i gain weight? i have no scales to weigh myself as i am at my nans house...
    i haven't gained inches but feel bloated?

Have you been counting the calories though? Make sure you are drinking enough water if you feel bloated.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Over your calorie allowance? If you're still under your maintenance level (TDEE) you shouldn't gain -- unless your metabolism has slowed down.

Remember that your calorie allowance includes a big deficit from maintenance. If your allowance is 1500, but you set MFP to "lose a pound a week," that means you could eat up to 2000 calories and not gain. In theory, at least.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is a deficit of calories from your maintenance. It would depend on how far over you go...if your goal is 2 Lbs per week weight loss, you have roughly 800-1000 calorie deficit from maintenance in your goal...thus, if you went over by 800-1000 calories, you'd only be at maintenance. To actually gain 1 Lb of fat, you'd have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance over the course of a week.

Your weight is not static and weight loss isn't linear. Natural weight fluctuations are generally 2-5 Lbs day to day due to water retention/release, food in/out, waste, etc.