Did this man get too much time?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    This will cost Texas a lot of taxpayer money because of the appeals on the 9 convictions. One to two life sentences, okay, but 9? Not that I don't think that he shouldn't be jailed for life, but I doubt 9 life sentences were needed to keep him in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should be either/or. I just dislike the shut them away because they are living on government assistance frame of mind.

Who said "shut them away because they are on government assistance?"

The man is going to jail because he went on an armed robbery spree. Someone made the argument that it's more expensive to put these people in prison. However, for many people, it's not.

It costs about 3X as much to house an inmate than to provide public assistance.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    This will cost Texas a lot of taxpayer money because of the appeals on the 9 convictions. One to two life sentences, okay, but 9? Not that I don't think that he shouldn't be jailed for life, but I doubt 9 life sentences were needed to keep him in.

Each charge has its own sentence...so a life sentence for each armed robbery charge. Just how it works.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    And I couldn't care less about what he gets. Just because someone is lucky enough to get off with a lighter sentence doesn't make his actions any less horrible. And as for murderers and rapists getting less, THAT is where the mistake is, not in this guy's sentencing.

QFT. ^ I couldn't say it any better than this!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to re-try him on MFP. He went to trial, He had legal representation. A jury of his peers convicted him.

He's an adult. Life in jail is fine with me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should be either/or. I just dislike the shut them away because they are living on government assistance frame of mind.

Who said "shut them away because they are on government assistance?"

The man is going to jail because he went on an armed robbery spree. Someone made the argument that it's more expensive to put these people in prison. However, for many people, it's not.

I made the argument to say that it is too costly to hold a criminal until their natural death. I was speaking of parole. Not to say that this guy shouldn't have received such a strenuous sentence. I said the sentence was completely fair and just.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    In Texas, this is a first degree felony. He used a weapon which automatically puts him in this classification. Each charge can receive a punishment of 5-99 years. I do think proportionate to other crimes, this is too much.
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    In Canada he would have gotten community service.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Each charge has its own sentence...so a life sentence for each armed robbery charge. Just how it works.
    Understood, but he can appeal all 9 right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition